Lake of the Woods- August 15th

• Jeff McClintock
    Participant

Headed up for a week. Staying at Arnesen’s. Anyone have any reports or pointers on where to start? I have only fished it once in the summer and that was many years ago. I have downriggers.

Karry Kyllo
    Participant

I don’t have a fresh report but it’s usually not too hard to find and catch walleyes this time of the year on LOW. Head out of the gap and just go towards deeper water until you mark what look like walleyes and preferably with schools of shiners mixed in with them. Don’t start trolling until you mark fish that you think are walleyes.
    When you do, just start trolling. When the marks dwindle, turn around and run through them again if that’s possible with the wind. Otherwise, run to the beginning of where you started your trolling pass and repeat it. It’s usually just a matter of working back and forth through the schools to catch walleyes.
    I use many different styles and profiles of cranks on any given day, but if it’s sunny, something gold or gold/orange is a good color to start with and if cloudy, natural colors are usually better for me.
    When you find fish, just keep working through them, constantly changing cranks to trigger bites if you have to. You’ll catch fish.
    Have a great time!

Fife
    Participant
    Ramsey, MN

I’ve been up to Arnesen’s twice in the last 2 weeks. There were fish at Whiskey Flats, 16 mile, Arnesen’s Reef, Stoney Point, and West Bar. There aren’t big schools of fish in the basin like years past, but they are out there. Two weeks ago we had a 28” while trolling north of Archie’s along with a few eaters. This last weekend we trolled out from Graceton beach road and had 5 over 28”, multiple others in the protected slot, and a few eaters. Gold and chrome baits were our best colors of baits. The water is really high, but the harbor is still good and the lake is safe. Good luck.

Joe Jarl
    Participant
    SW Wright County

Will be heading out of Long Point starting tomorrow. What I’m hearing is there are fish on and near the reefs. Not the large schools out in the deeper mud like you’d often see this time of year.

Charlie W
    Participant
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

I have been out there probably 12 outings this summer. It’s been really really good. I have not fished deeper than 27’ yet. 5-9’ has been good and 24’ has been good. Cranks and bouncers with spinners both producing for me. I don’t have leadcore or downriggers yet so havent been to the mud. Edges of the reefs is where I would focus.

I should be out there again Sunday for a few hours so will try to report back.

rjthehunter
    Participant
    Brainerd

Whiskey Flats was mentioned, that’s where the big fish are at. There’s eaters all over right now on long point, just outside 4 mile by pine island, and everywhere else you could imagine!

ganderpike
    Participant
    Alexandria

Was up for the Warrior Rally last weekend, seemed reports echoed a tougher than usual bite. We encountered a bug hatch each morning. Whisky Flat didn’t treat us well, 16 Mile had lots of fish, not much for size. Gold and orange on lead were the go-to’s it seemed. Good luck, would have much rather been up this week.

Joe Jarl
    Participant
    SW Wright County

Just got back from our trip. Would call fishing average to good. Caught mostly walleyes on leadcore. Very few sauger. Pink and orange were the hot color with sunny skies each day. Seemed like bug hatches were still going on. Most fish were 32’ or less, but we did find some nice keepers in 35’ near garden. Nothing out in the deeper mud. Most charter boats were headed toward little oak. Crawlers did not produce anything of size for us. Good luck!

Charlie W
    Participant

Fished four hours this afternoon. Bottom bouncers and spinners with crawlers got it done again today. Edges of reefs in 22-25’. Got a few slots, one over, and plenty of eaters.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

no report but there is a story out that there was a drowning out there and there now looking for that person!!!1

Charlie W
    Participant

Interesting. Had not heard that.

Was out again Saturday and Sunday. Really good bite both days. Didn’t get any overs but plenty of slots and all the eaters one could ask for! Bite is staying strong through August!!

Jeff McClintock
    Participant

Just a quick report. The wind made it difficult to say the least. Near perfect weather leading up to my trip, then during my trip there was effectively one good weather day. We made the most of the trip and still had a great time.

I picked a spot on the map around 16 mile reef. Dropped the downriggers with a Salmo freediver 9 on the end of the line. I had just installed a new livescope on the rear of the boat and was excited to see what I could see looking back and was not disappointed. I could easily see the ball, release, and crankbait. It was interesting watching the fish smack the lure as soon as you went over them, clearly an instinct bite. I would estimate we caught 60 fish in 6 hours. We had 3 in the protected slot 23, 23, 25. 6 that were eaters between 16-19 and lots and lots below 16″. Overall it was a fantastic trip even with the wind. We already booked a week for next year.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.