Kudos to Marcum's Service

• Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

I am lucky enough to live close to Versa Electronics, and I’m impressed.

Both my LX5 and my Troller 2.0 were flaky and giving me issues and they took both in no questions asked and fixed for free in 3 days.

My 2nd troller that I bought for my nephew is being fixed as we speak for free as well.

My faith in Marcum was not high a few weeks ago but this makes me feel a little better.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Doug i too had issues with my LX-5 recently and marcum fixed it for free. I think the CS was a little jumbled and confusing however i cannot argue with the results. Fixed my 3 year old LX-5 for free even though it was probably out of warrenty.

shockers
    Rochester

Just had a similar experience with my VX1. Great customer service.

Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

I feel better about going to an LX6 if they are willing to step up for out of warranty repairs. Pretty solid org.

riverruns
    Inactive

Yep. I needed a part for my LX5 and they shipped it out and I should have it by Thursday when I need it! Although mine wasn’t free?

riverruns
    Inactive

$6.50 with shipping included is still cheap for me!

hamms
    Mn

That’s great! They need to figure out the dumb motor issues.

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Hope that holds true for me. None of the buttons work on my Troller and I can only shut it down by removing the batteries. At least it’s stuck with my last usable settings and powers back on when I reconnect it to power. I emailed Versa last night and waiting for my response.

In in meantime I ordered another power cable and ice transducer for my Humminbird 798ci SI. It hasn’t been on a boat in over a year and I’m hoping I can make it an ice flasher for the extra $75 I just spent and hoping it’ll work with the new battery I just bought for the Troller.

Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

Agreed on both – My guess is Gregg that they will cover your Troller. And Hamms the motor issues seem to have just popped up more and more. I think they will probably get it locked down soon

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I hate to say it, but I will. With all the problems they seem to be having this year, they better have EXCELLENT customer service. It seems like every few days a post pops up here about a Marcum having problems or not working. I have a LX5 that I got 3 or 4 years ago. Its nice and works well but I never got the WOW I expected when I purchased it. Just not different from the FL18 that I have ( Still have it and use it sometimes – Keep it as a backup ) I was thinking of making the jump to a LX7 but will all the reports I’ve seen lately I think I will hold off for awhile.

Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

Fair point. I had an FLX28 that I traded this year and was skittish because it was so “new” but that might have been a knee jerk based on the Marcum feedback I’m seeing lately. Lets hope they get it figured out

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Did you guys have to call for service? I sent an email a few days ago and still no response.

Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

Brother in law just had his VX1 Pro crap out, again less than a year old :/

He emailed and no response. I told him to walk in but that’s not an option for anyone outside of the Twin Cities

I would keep calling, or follow up on email. When I was in Versa’s office, there are a few guys on the phones constantly

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

I think I’m going to wait out my one email and see what happens. I now have the luxury of waiting until ice is out when hopefully they’re not so busy. I found a ice-ducer in my mailbox from Amazon when I got home yesterday and am in the process of converting my Humminbird 798ci SI into an ice machine. Hooked it up last night and can’t wait to get it on the ice. Now I just need to invent something for a carrying package. The soft bag conversion package from Humminbird is $120 and they’re currently out of them so I’m thinking of seeing if I can find a soft-sided thermal lunch bag with a handle and hope it gives it enough stability with the battery underneath so it doesn’t tip over on the ice. 2nd thought is a plastic old drill case or something similar and drill holes in it to mount it to. Built-in GPS, brilliant display, jeez about to reach my climax in excitement already and I’m not even on the ice yet. It better work, bought the unit in 2008 for $1000 or so and it’s been on three different boats but in the closet almost two years. Getting a bunch more years out of it for the $65 ducer sure would be a bonus!

Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

I told my brother in law he should consider converting his Bird 898 si – Just not sure it has enough juice and IR to handle 10k folks at once…

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

That’s my biggest concern too, I didnt’ find any menu settings for interference, just sensitivity and range which defaulted to auto. I guess I’m just going to have to find a way to tell everybody else around me to change theirs. OR just maybe the pricy unit has a built in brain and takes care of that for me. lol

TheCrappieFisherman
    West Metro

Did you guys have to call for service? I sent an email a few days ago and still no response.

I started having almost the same problem with the troller as you this past weekend. I emailed marcum Monday morning and got a response back late yesterday afternoon. I need to send them my information: name, address, date of purchase/copy of receipt to get a return authorization number and shipping instructions for servicing.

If you go to Marcums website under service there is a link to request a return authorization number, I wonder if this would be a faster way then talking to them through email?

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Maybe I’m next. I emailed Monday PM, thought it was Sunday until I checked my sent box. Gracias amigo.

steve klotz

Just got back from 10 days of fishing the river from Stoddard to Lacrosse. My brother bought a new Showdown 5.6 dual beam for the trip. There was a dead spot in the screen from 4-6′. He wasn’t happy.

fisherman-andy

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! I AM TIRED OF SEEING THE POOR SERVICE BY MARCUM/VERSA.

I am a loyal Marcum owner and have owned just about every one of their flashers. I currently own the LX7 and LX6 as well as the Ice Troller. I have had little issues with my units over the years except the Troller has been junk.

Some of my buddies who use to be Marcum loyal have now all swap over to Vexilar. I myself is considering swapping to Vexilar. Dont get me wrong I love my digital Marcums but the inconsistent software and unreliability of feedback all over the forums is nerve racking. I see a bad post about Marcum poor customer service just about every week and none for Vexilar. Sure there are those who have never had issues. Who cares? The one who have issues are the ones needing to be taken care of.

GET IT TOGETHER MARCUM, WE LOVE YOU BUT LOSING FAITH FAST. WERE NOT BUTT HURT BUT SOME OF US ARENT SATISFIED EITHER….

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Good point Andy. I’d rather have reliability than excellent service. Please remove all my posts endorsing the Troller.

Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

Just bought a FLX-28

Soon for sale, 1 year old LX5 in mint condition for $375

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Just bought a FLX-28

Soon for sale, 1 year old LX5 in mint condition for $375

So this went from a kudos post to Marcums are junk in 2 days??

Since it’s junk I’ll offer $275

Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

Wasn’t my intention, but the day after I got my 2 units back my main fishing buddy’s VX1 Pro that I told him to buy dies after 10 months while on his biggest trip of his season? Yep, thats how fast it changed, and it impacted my decision today. I’ll remove the thread if you’re offended Mudshark. But I still know market value. So no go to $275.

And to be clear, my original post wasn’t all rainbows and butterflies – I said that I was NOT high on Marcum as of late until they took care of my repairs. This week I’ve just realized that even if they take care of of my units under warranty, I still don’t have faith in day to day use.

fisherman-andy

Wasn’t my intention, but the day after I got my 2 units back my main fishing buddy’s VX1 Pro that I told him to buy dies after 10 months while on his biggest trip of his season? Yep, thats how fast it changed, and it impacted my decision today. I’ll remove the thread if you’re offended Mudshark. But I still know market value. So no go to $275.

And to be clear, my original post wasn’t all rainbows and butterflies – I said that I was NOT high on Marcum as of late until they took care of my repairs. This week I’ve just realized that even if they take care of of my units under warranty, I still don’t have faith in day to day use.

No need to apologize to anyone man, let alone Marcum. Criticism is needed. Stand up for quality and service when you need it if it hasnt happened.

I have every intention of buying a Marcum RT9 when it comes out and like I have said aside the Troller (this unit should not even be considered to be sold on the market) ive had good luck with my Marcums. Even Marcum service was good to me the few times I experienced. I am blind Marcum customer cause I like the way their ice sonars work for me. But I am also tired of seeing the complaints stack up week after week. The unsatisfactory reviews are outweighing the good ones now.

Seeing week after week of poor customer service and bad units needing serviced is enough. If they dont have the manpower to handle service calls then they need to hire more people. No excuse for not having budget for service if you wanna claim to be the best in the business. Aside this all that FL8 is noisy as heck! )

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

I’ll remove the thread if you’re offended Mudshark.

Absolutely not my friend smile ……
    I am not offended in the least….I was just curious….

And I do not need a long post to just say that….If you do not like what you have….move on….

Good lord man…..Why all this angst ???

Were all friends here…….

Brent Yeakey
    Bloomer, WI

You boys aren’t alone. My LX-5 is back for service for the second time. They received the unit from UPS last Thursday morning and I just found out today that I will not have it back by the weekend. So they cost me 2 weekends of fishing. Not a happy camper at all!

bob_scow
    Alma Wi

Ice 45, 6th winter, bullet proof.

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

It doesn’t take long to get the jest of the story… if you want to fish and not be left in the dark you better have a backup unit. I know it’s hard to see but here’s my newly converted ice machine. If the Troller ever works again it’ll only be a backup. BTW, no reply to my service request email from Versa yet.

Attachments:
    1. 2015-01-21-15.56.12.jpg

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

It doesn’t take long to get the jest of the story… if you want to fish and not be left in the dark you better have a backup unit. I know it’s hard to see but here’s my newly converted ice machine.

Murphy’s Law… grin
    No matter what brand you use…

That looks like a great setup Gregg waytogo
    Let us know how it works out…. wave

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.