Kids to Canada??

• Tritoon
    Austin, MN

I am bringing my 2 kids ( ages 7 & 9 ) to Canada this summer. The info I looked up states kids under the age of 16 only need a birth certificate to cross into Canada. Has any one had any issues just using a birth certificate? The reason I ask is because I can buy a passport card for the kids as well, but didn’t see the point in it if I can use their BC

Thanks

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I believe the rules are different if going by air vs land. Are you driving into Canada?

The last I heard, children could still use CERTIFIED copies of birth certificates. Certified is the key word. Not just copies.

But this is certainly something I’d want the most recent info on. Also, I believe there is some kind of permission document requirement if kids are traveling with only one parent.

IMO, passports are worth it even for children because then there’s no faffing around. You’ve got it, they work in every circumstance when crossing the border by air, sea, land.

Grouse

bowtecmike
    Zimmerman mn

Grouse is correct I bring my son each year to Canada he is 6 now and mom is not with so we do need a permission form that you can get off the border website it takes 5-10 mins to have them Fill it out.and you need an original birth certificate and you are good to go. I cross in international falls this will be the third year not one problem at the border past 2 years (knock on wood)

Tritoon
    Austin, MN

Thanks gentlemen !!!

Yes I am traveling by land to Canada,otherwise I would for sure need a passport.

Glad to know you’ve had good luck with just the Certificate Bowtecmike!!

Timmy

I have a notarized copy of my sons BC and a notarized letter stating that my wife gives me permission to take him across the border at any time during the year. Last Saturday, the Ontario agent thanked me for having the letter.

He is 9 yrs old and has a couple dozen trips under his belt up there….never had an issue crossing either way yet.

kwp
    Eden Prairie

I have a notarized copy of my sons BC and a notarized letter stating that my wife gives me permission to take him across the border at any time during the year. Last Saturday, the Ontario agent thanked me for having the letter.

He is 9 yrs old and has a couple dozen trips under his belt up there….never had an issue crossing either way yet.

X2 on this process by Timmy…Have nephews that have crossed multiple times by car using a passport and notarized letter from their mother. I have also heard the boarder patrols ask “is this your daddy with you”. I suppose they are just looking for an unusual reaction.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

I travel to Dryden 3 or 4 times a year to visit my father in law. Wife goes with kids occasionally by herself and generating a letter is very helpful. Original birth certificates will work for ground travel or a passport card if you plan on doing any air travel. The passport card for kids is good for 5 years I believe. We cross at IFalls/Fort Frances every time.

They don’t have a form letter, its a letter you must create regarding a few questions. Best to have it notarized as well. sample letter

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.