Kdrill-clam plate

• Andrew Pansch

So after drilling all winter so far with just the Milwaukee fuel and crappy handle I busted the mount part the handle is supposed to clamp to. So question what is everyone’s opinions on the clam plate with kdrill Milwaukee fuel combo.

John Timm

I will probably be in the same situation, as my new Milwaukee side handle I suspect will be breaking soon (urine poor design). I’ve heard good things about the people that use the clam plate and will probably have to get one soon.

roger

Oh great! I just bought the 2704 22! All the hype is all bs huh! Guess you can’t beat the ion!

Crappy Fisherman

Oh great! I just bought the 2704 22! All the hype is all bs huh! Guess you can’t beat the ion!

All tools have limits and weak points. The handle attachment on cordless drills is poor with most brands. They aren’t meant to handle that kind of torque in subzero temps. That’s the nice thing about the Clam Plate, it also gives a the operator total control. I don’t work for Clam and paid full price for mine. I wouldn’t use the Milwaukee Fuel without it. Haven’t use my Nils since going to the drill, clam plate, k drill setup.

troutbum
    St. Paul

Anyone have this issue?
    (Fast forward to 7 min marker)

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Anyone have this issue?
    (Fast forward to 7 min marker)

Troutbum,

It is or should be a NON-issue. The guy is an idiot (sorry for being blunt). He clearly says this happens when he locks the trigger.
    One should not expect to LOCK the trigger on the drill and then try to activate the trigger with the linkage on the Clam plate. Of course something is going to break. In this case, the leverage of the linkage over powers the trigger lock and the drill trigger breaks.
    Simple solution is to not lock the trigger and then try to force it to move. If one wishes to “disable the auger” for transport and storage (a good idea BTW) simply remove the battery. Without a battery the auger can not be accidentally turned on when you don’t want it turned on.
    On the other hand, if one wants to use the trigger lock, use it. Just recognize that you have to release the trigger lock before pulling on the Clam Plate linkage.

No different that making sure a door is unlocked before trying to push it open with force. The linkage on the Clam plate will give you more leverage than just your finger on the trigger.

Rick Janssen

I have the K-drill and the Clam plate set up with the same drill shown here. I bought the Clam plate because of reviews on this site and others that recommended using the plate if you are older (I am) to help with some of the tourque from just a plain drill and handle. I also had read that the drill plate will take some tourque off the drill also.

BOTH of these things are correct !! With the drill plate set up it is easy drilling and I don’t feel any affects after 50-60 holes liked I drill on Sat.

As far as the trigger issue – NAH – just make sure you have everything lined up right on your set up and you are good to go. I think the guy in the video just needs to do some minor adjustment with where his trigger is hitting and everything will be fine. I LOVE the K-Drill and clam plate set up.

mrpike1973

I have the 6 inch K drill and then got the 8 inch to much torque for my hands bought the Clam plate best thing I ever did. I’m not a Clam fan at all but they got it right on this one. Wish I would have got one sooner but because I was not a Clam fan i did not. Stupid me my wrists love me again.

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

Thanks for the feedback – i dont think im that old but once the ice got around 2′ i was ready for something easier on the wrists.

Now the real challenge, where to find a clam plate in stock.

mrpike1973

Try Scheels I got mine about 2 weeks ago. You will also need the clam plate to K Drill adaptor.

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

I have called all over the cities. If anyone sees one PM me and I will buy it as long as it’s the new one where you dont need to remove the chuck.

Andrew Pansch

Ya scheels is all sold out as well… well hope I can limp it through till next year it looks like.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Have you guys looked on Amazon or eBay or just Google?

FRS

Doesn’t anyone here on this site realize the 8″ Kdrill actually drills a 7.50 inch diameter hole NOT a 8″ hole. That’s a 15% smaller hole. The K-drill should be in court with a CLASS-ACTION law-suit. We should all get FREE new blades that will cut a 8″ hole.

KwickStick
    At the intersection of Pools 6 & 7

I’m just moving in this direction and basically know nothing, but can I use a Clam Plate/Milwaukee setup with my 5″ Lazer auger bottom?

John Timm

I’m just moving in this direction and basically know nothing, but can I use a Clam Plate/Milwaukee setup with my 5″ Lazer auger bottom?

Yes you can use a Lazer auger bit.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Doesn’t anyone here on this site realize the 8″ Kdrill actually drills a 7.50 inch diameter hole NOT a 8″ hole. That’s a 15% smaller hole. The K-drill should be in court with a CLASS-ACTION law-suit. We should all get FREE new blades that will cut a 8″ hole.

The world has gone sue-em crazy……A class action just because of 1/2 inch?…..
    What an injustice!
    coffee

I run my 5″ setup with only the side handle. If you make sure the handle is always clamped tight and brace the trigger handle, you won’t have any issues. 6″ and up, a plate is the way to go.

CBMN
    North Metro

The world has gone sue-em crazy……A class action just because of 1/2 inch?…..
    What an injustice!
    coffee

[/quote]

I agree with you Mudshark, imagine how damaged you are for not having that 1/2″. Mine seems to work just fine for every fish I have pulled up the 7 1/2″ hole.

mrpike1973

I like the fact it is not 8 inches. Less wear on the drill and I have never had a fish not come up that size hole.

I heard they designed a larger kdrill, but it wasn’t released for market yet. Anyone know anything? I’d like a true 9″ light chipper option.

PmB

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Francis Slasinski wrote:</div>

Same guy?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/nation-now/2017/06/21/home-depot-menards-lumber-size-lawsuit/415874001/

Sometimes my subway subs aren’t exactly 6″ or 12″. TOTAL BS

KwickStick
    At the intersection of Pools 6 & 7

Thanks for the help regarding my question!

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Thanks for the help regarding my question!

In regards to you question….Yes…

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I would love a 9″ k drill!

Rick Janssen

Try Scheels I got mine about 2 weeks ago. You will also need the clam plate to K Drill adaptor.

This is IMPORTANT – I did not know this when I bought my K-Drill and Clam Plate at the St Paul Ice show. Then I got home and could not figure out why I could not get mine to go together. I think someone that sold me the stuff should have told me that. It was HERE on IDO that someone informed me I needed the adapter. Once I got that, life was good.

CBMN
    North Metro

@Tindall

Did you try to call Reeds or Thorn Brothers? Might even look up Clam and see if you can buy dirrect…

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

If it’s marketed as an 8″ auger, technically, 7.5″ = 8″. I highly doubt that they’re marketing it as 8.0″, so good luck with that battle. doah

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.