Kayak Fishing Milwaukee/Port Washington during Salmon-a-rama

• Mark Rasmussen

Fishing was absolutely insane during Salmon-a-rama. I got out for 5 trips in my kayak – all early AM trips. To be clear, I released most fish that weren’t going to have a chance at making the board, which allowed for some inflated numbers.

My first 3 trips were up in Port Washington, where I usually fish. I caught lots of fish – catching 34 salmonoids (1 brown). Lots of 8-14 lb kings and lots of 8-10 lb cohos. I fished Sunday (9 fish), Wednesday (11 fish) and Thursday (14 fish). Managed my first triple on Thursday, landing all 3 kings. Of those 34 fish, 20 were kings, 13 cohos and 1 brownie. Flasher flies and spoons were getting it done. However, I wasn’t satisfied with the size, so I moved south for my final two trips and fished just north of Milwaukee.

I set my 2 personal best for salmon in a day Friday and Saturday morning. Friday was perfect, cold water in tight and we found a pocket of warm water. Early on, 35-45 fow was hot, but as more boats started showing up, the bite slowed. Seeing gulls slamming bait on the beach, I slid into 15 fow and it was game on. Kings and coho were slamming spoons in 12-18 fow. A buddy was catching them even shallower. Friday, I ended up keeping 4 kings over 15 lbs (up to 17.89 lbs). Caught four more over 12 lbs. Insane fishing in a kayak.

Sunday, I beach launched and realized the water temp near the beach was 67 degrees. Obviously that wasn’t going to get it done. Managed 6 fish out in 50ish fow on spoons, including a 10.72 lb coho in the kayak that would end up being the biggest coho registered on Satuday and got 5th place overall for the tourney. Even though I had 6 fish, most were small, and there was an armada of boats out there. Once the sun came up, I hadn’t had a hit in over an hour and was seriously contemplating heading in. 5 days of fishing, 4 days in a row, where I put over 90 miles on my legs trying to catch salmon were catching up to me. I noticed some dirty water in by the filter. I slid in and noticed the water temps were 58 degrees. With the dirty water, I threw on a crank to go with 2 spoons in 20ish fow. Crank got smashed within 5 minutes. Ended up running 2 crank rods, going back and forth through the dirty water between 6:00am and 9:00am catching 11 fish, losing 5. Mostly kings, up to 17.87 lbs, but also got a coho and a nice brown. That 17.87 lber screamed out 450 ft of line like it was nothing. Those shallow kings are insane – they also jump like they’re steelhead.

If you’ve been away from Lake Michigan fishing in recent years, I urge you to get back out. Fishing is amazing right now. In my hobie kayak, I managed to catch 67 fish in 5 trips (46 kings, 19 coho and 2 browns). Good luck and tight lines. Pics are some fish caught in Milwaukee. The two were from Saturday (coho in the yak yet), and the 4 were from Friday. All pictured over 15 lbs.

Attachments:
    1. 2016-07-16-10.31.43.jpg

2. 2016-07-15-12.30.43.jpg

lundojam

Very cool. You earned those fish, bruh. That must be satisfying as hell.

Mark Rasmussen

Thanks Lundo, it is. And it’s completely addicting. I’d rather be out in the kayak catching fish than on somebody’s boat. Nothing like it.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

WOW. That would be a Rush out of a Kayak – Well done Sir.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.