Kabetogama

• JasonP
    Twin Cities

Just checkin in with the Kab folks to see how the fishing has been the last week. Ice totally out on Kab yesterday per the air ranger…still a bit on Nam….SP and Crane are free.

I’ve been pitchin shorelines after work and doing ok with a very slow retrieve. That won’t get you a lot of keepers but I don’t mind catchin overs and I prefer to pitch for my fish. Water temp was only 38-39 the other day….so I expect it to improve greatly now that the ice is totally clear and we’re getting some sun and warmth this weekend. I suspect next week the fish will really go nutz along the shorelines.

jp

danerikson
    Lyons, WI

Has this winter been typical for the BW area? 1 year from today we plan on Houseboating up from Crane Lake. Been really watching conditions so we have some idea what to expect next spring. Is this considered an unusually late ice out? Here in southeastern WI we had more cold and ice than we’ve seen in years. Was this the case up here as well?

Dan

JasonP
    Twin Cities

Hey Dan,

I don’t think this late is normal. The latest ice out on Kab since records started in 1952 was in 1996 on May 18.

1966, 2013, and 2014 are all tied for second place, with ice outs on May 14.

Incidentally the earliest ice out since 1952 was 2012, April 1!!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.