Just looked at a lund tyee 1900

• Mike gagliardi

Hey guys I’m just looking for some input, for I’m having trouble deciding what to do. Today I looked at an absolutely gorgeous 2015 1900 lund tyee. Boat is super clean and is exactly what I’m looking for with a sticker price of 29,000. My only issue is with the main motor (yes that’s a big issue to have). first thing is it’s an evinrude etec 115HP and I just read that evinrude just went out of business and I’m worried about being able to get parts in the future. The other problem I have is that is only a 115 HP….. doesn’t that seem a little under powered for a 1900 tyee?? At almost 5000rpm the boat was just hitting 30mph and that’s with only one guy in the boat. A good thing is the motor only has 215 hours in it. I’m just not sure. My guy is telling me to pass, I’m not the biggest dan of evinrude to begin with. I’m more partial to Yamaha,merc,or Honda. Maybe someone with more evinrude experience can give me some good input. Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice/opinions you can provide.

Mike

milemark_714

Under-powered.Pass.Someone bought a nice boat,and then cheaped-out on engine size.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

You say “it’s exactly what i’m looking for.” Only it’s not. You think its under-powered and has a E-Tec which you don’t like. So, follow your gut and walk. Market is being flooded with guys trying to dump their E-Tec’s. More boats are showing up every week now. Be patient your deal will come along soon.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

You say “it’s exactly what i’m looking for.” Only it’s not. You think its under-powered and has a E-Tec which you don’t like. So, follow your gut and walk. Market is being flooded with guys trying to dump their E-Tec’s. More boats are showing up every week now. Be patient your deal will come along soon.

X2!!

diesel
    Menomonee Falls, WI

x4 Pass. Know too many guys who under powered and regret it later. Listen to your gut. It is when we don’t that we get burned.

shady5

I would pass. I recently rode in an 18’ Tyee with a 130 Honda and that thing could barely get on plane. People often think “I don’t need a lot of speed”, but being that underpowered will get annoying.

shady5

Also, it may have low hours, but every hour on that engine is likely at WOT. That’s what a lot of people don’t consider, HP isn’t so you can go 60 mph everywhere, it is so you can run cruising speeds (35-40 mph) at reasonable RPM’s.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Keep looking, that boat at a min should have a 150hp most likely a 200hp is the right size. And 30mph? that boat should do low 50’s

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Lund’s website indicates that their 1875 Tyee can handle a max outboard rating of 200 hp. Whoever put a 115 on that 1900 is an idiot

shady5

Lund’s website indicates that their 1875 Tyee can handle a max outboard rating of 200 hp. Whoever put a 115 on that 1900 is an idiot

hah

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

I’ve got a 2012 1850 Tyee with a 175 Verado. 51 gps with stock aluminum prop and ideal conditions.
    Dont just walk away, run as fast as you can. I can’t believe a dealer actually sold that boat to someone with a 115 on it, thats just wrong.
    You will not be happy at all.

shady5

I’ve got a 2012 1850 Tyee with a 175 Verado. 51 gps with stock aluminum prop and ideal conditions.
    Dont just walk away, run as fast as you can. I can’t believe a dealer actually sold that boat to someone with a 115 on it, thats just wrong.
    You will not be happy at all.

I had a ‘13 175 Verado that came with a stock stainless prop. I’m surprised Merc would use aluminum on a motor that large.

John Peterson
    Woodbury, Minnesota

I owned 2 different Tyees over a 21 year span.
    Absolutely do not underpower them.
    You will be very disappointed.

I would pass on this boat and not look back at it!

Used Tyees sell very very fast.
    Keep focusing on your search and react quickly when a boat interests you.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Buy, buy, buy! Yep, you read that right. Buy it.

But ONLY if you can negotiate a price that gets enough money off the price to pay for a comfortable majority of a repower to a 150 or so.

You have a ton of leverage here on a boat you like. Look at all the guys above saying to pass. The dealer will be getting the same feedback from buyers. Believe me, the dealer knows he sitting on an underpowered rig with a discontinued outboard brand. So you think guys are lined up waving cash at the dealer on this rig? No way. when you show up and make an offer, they are going to see a prime chance to move this otherwise hard-to-sell boat. The longer the summer goes on, the more leverage you have.

If I wanted this boat, I’d do my homework on the cost of a repower in whatever flavor and HP I wanted, then make a cash offer slightly below and roll the dice. Even better if this boat has been sitting for a while, maybe even let the dealer sit on it into August. Don’t ask, don’t get. Yes, there’s a hassle factor of a repower, but if cost was no object, you wouldn’t be on here asking about used boats in the first place.

Just throwing out a non-follow-the-herd view. If good deals were easy, everybody would get one all the time.

Grouse

CBMN
    North Metro

I kind of agree with Grouse’s approach. I just looked up the 2015 Lund catalog and that boat is rated a 200 hp outboard. If the boat and trailer are what you are looking for and you can re-power to a 200 hp and still be at an reasonable total cost it might be worth considering. If I wanted or needed a boat now I would not go that rout though but if you have time it might be worth working the numbers. I personally don’t think it would be a viable boat for regular use with the 115 hp engine, looks like that hull alone is about 1600 lbs. Sure it would work on calm days with a light load but if that is why you are buying a boat you can likely get a lot smaller boat.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

I had a ‘13 175 Verado that came with a stock stainless prop. I’m surprised Merc would use aluminum on a motor that large.

I think you’re from up in this area, it was sitting on RJ’s lot in August 2012 as is. I have always run aluminum since I spend about 3 weeks each summer up on Rainy and Namakan. Lots of rocks to put a hurt on and aluminum is more forgiving if I screw up.
    Personally I really dont have any reason to go faster than 51mph. I priced a stainless with Jay at Sodorblom’s in Cromwell, and went with a tuned aluminum for a spare instead.

travelNFish
    Nebraska

As soon as i saw the “115” i would have said thanks for your time and moved to the next one.

trytoofish
    sw Mn.

Pass its under powered. I have an 1850 Tyee with a 150 verado I wouldn’t want less.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Way to under powered. The etec will be a boat anchor/parts motor in a few years. doah

Mike gagliardi

Thanks to you all!! Yes my gut feeling was exactly what all of you guys are indicating. It’s sad bc the boat is emasculate otherwise. The search continues, thanks again guys.

katmando
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

I have a 1700 Lund!tyee with a 115 and that’s the max hp rating of the boat and wish I had a bigger motor after adding all the batteries and eleceltonics

bigpike

I’m interested in moving into a tyee for my boat camping trips but I see alot of them have etecs on them. That’s a no go for this guy unless the deal is so good I cant resist.

T Riley

I’m on my 2nd season with a Tyee 1900. We love the boat. Came with a Mercury 150 and tops out at about 45 mph. Lots of the dealers from the Midwest go up to 200hp and a kicker. I would say pass on the 115.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.