Just found this website, 1st time to Rainy Lake in 2018,need help

• Thompmd

I have been going to LOTW since 04 once a year always in June. I am retiring in 3/18 and would like to go to Rainy for the first time and would love any direction you can provide. The trip would basically be my wife/I small dog, housekeeping(no outhouses or central showers) with hopefully an option of an ala-carte meal or two but not a deal breaker. We have our own boat. We basically fish for anything but would prefer smallmouth,northern/crappie and walleye the least but we are wanting to learn more about them. We would also consider a private home to rent. I would likely hire a guide the first day and we can use my boat if that helps. We have passports so we can stay on either side. We can stay on the mainland or an island camp(my wife prefers we be relatively close so we can go to town once/twice during the week.

We can go anytime during the year and I am considering September but a little nervous only because I have always been a “June” guy. We would even consider a trip in June and September. I’m sure I forgot some things but any direction(s) are very much appreciated. The only 2 places I have looked at are Labelles/Camp Narrows.

wkw

Thunderbird Lodge. You won’t be disappointed

BigWerm
    SW Metro

x2 on Thunderbird. Or you can boat in camp if that’s something you’re comfortable with. Rainy Lake Houseboats is spendy but great too. RainyDaze Guide Service is pretty dialed in up there, but I haven’t heard of a bad guide up there. Look forward to hearing how your trip goes!!

Wayne Daul
    Green Bay, Wi

I also am a retired guy and switched from LOTW to Rainy 5 years ago. Fishing is not quite as good but your Medicare is good on U.S. side.
    X3 on Thunderbird there is no close second! Best quide is Mike Williams he’s 71 and has guided since he .was 14 on the lake both U.S. and Canada. Worth every cent you pay him. July is good for reef fishing, June is good also but it can be wet.
    Rainy is a big lake and it can get rough I tell people 18 ft or bigger is a good choice. P.M. and I will give you more info.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Mike Williams is a good choice for two reasons the foremost the stories he can tell and secondly the fishing knowledge.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

The Thunderbird is great. I head up for the 5th annual trip in early October.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I do a June and September each year. Both can have very good fishing but are different. I like the multi-species shallow bite in June and September throwing larger lures for big pike.

Weather in September can get iffy though. When it’s nice it’s my favorite time, cool nights, fall colors, perfect if shorts and sweatshirt. When the big cold fronts come down, well….

If you have the time maybe do one trip on the American side and the other up the north arm. They’ll seem like different lakes and different experiences

Another one is Amik lodge also on the Canadian side in NW Bay.

Welcome to IDO!!

Thompmd

Thanks everyone for the replies!! I forgot to ask about the bugs in Sept(heard there were none). Also, I have read some not so good reviews about Thunderbird about poor treatment from the owner to employees could always be found at/in the bar.

Wonder what you guys have to say?

Also, generally speaking have you heard positive/negative things about Camp Narrows or Labelles and have you stayed there?

Thanks again

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Be sure you have your passport and the proper license / paperwork if you are staying / fishing in Canada. I don’t generally pay attention to many on-line reviews. Often somebody has a ax to grind and lays out a report that isn’t exactly truthful. Stop in and see for yourself.

Have fun.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

Thanks everyone for the replies!! I forgot to ask about the bugs in Sept(heard there were none). Also, I have read some not so good reviews about Thunderbird about poor treatment from the owner to employees could always be found at/in the bar.

Wonder what you guys have to say?

Also, generally speaking have you heard positive/negative things about Camp Narrows or Labelles and have you stayed there?

Thanks again

There are no bugs during the first week of October, not sure about September though. I wouldnt be surprised if they get a frost by mid Sept eliminating any bugs.

Regarding service at the Thunderbird bar/restaurant, I can say that we havent had any issues, but we usually only go in for a few cocktails after fishing all day. We do our own cooking in a cabin for the most part. We did eat there once, and have no complaints.

blank

Thanks again

Camp Narrows is a nice, quiet, low key place. Tom is a great guy and easy going so he should be able to accommodate what you’re looking for. Good fishing near camp and pretty a quiet area. It’s a 7 mile boat ride, so running to town could be a pain.

Wayne Daul
    Green Bay, Wi

I have been eating and drinking at Thunderbird for 5 years and always had great food and service. Almost all the employees are great.

pikebuster11

Late to the game here, but I’ll add my 2 cents.

The last few years, Sept weather has been pretty warm when I’ve been there. In ’17 there were a few days where that got into the 70s and the bugs definitely “woke up” on calm days, or in sheltered bays.

Our group has been going to Rainy since 1981, and you’d be hard-pressed to find any better service or operation than the Dougherty’s run at Rainy Lake Houseboats. Tommy and Billy are top-notch, and the kids have been involved as well, and are equally as great.

As for the Thunderbird…our experience until 2017 was wonderful. The first night we arrive to RLH, we always had dinner and tied a couple on at the lodge. In 2017, the service was sub-par (we are pretty easy going as well, so lets ignore the service aspect, there was clearly an operations change, and hiccups will happen). The menu changed, also minor, but a tradition of ordering the Walleye with the pork chop and applesauce has always been part of the trip. It was nowhere to be found in ’17, and the waitstaff looked at us like we all had third eyes when we ordered. Eventually, they figured it out.

Onto the food, the walleye was always, always top notch and fresh. In ’17, it two orders weren’t even de-boned. When we did some digging, found out it was ordered from sysco or somewhere similar. That should be a crime given the quality of fish that come out of the very water on which the Thunderbird sits. Prices went up quality went down. We aren’t cheapskates when it comes to this trip, not by a longshot.

That being said, all of the staff were still extremely nice, as always. The T-Bird is clean, overall decent place, but there has been a dip in form compared to prior years. In ’18, we are going to try something new and cook for ourselves the night before we launch. The T-Bird rubbed us wrong in such a way that we are breaking a 37 year tradition.

RL fishing is world-class for numerous species, the scenery can’t be beat, and it’s a trip I wouldn’t trade for the world.

If it’s just you, the wife, and the dog; looking into one of the smaller houseboats would be an option. I know people say they are expensive, but, honestly, it’s on par with a decent hotel room for a week and the experience is 100000000000000000 times better. Tow your boat and explore the lake. Can’t be beat. September fishing never disappoints. Get a good map and navi card. Watch for rocks. Beware the Brule, matey. lol

Hope this helps!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.