It's About Time!

• Ed Stern
    Goodhue, MN, Goodhue County,

I hadn’t been fishing since the first week in August. I had planned a few times, but the combination of hard rains every other day, rising waters on the Mississippi, or health issues in the family kept taking the lead. Yesterday, I finally did something besides driving next to people fishing! I had called my old friend, Mark Bestul, who lives in Buffalo City, Wisconsin. He usually knows if a trip is worth wile. I only had the morning, but hurry as I tried, I still didn’t get down there until about 10. We strolled down to the dock, got comfortable, and started fishing as we watched three boats of “Old Guys” lifting in sunfish. It was kind of like looking at a fresh doughnut…….you know what it’s going to taste like but, you can’t quite get to it! After losing a few waxies, I finally nailed a solid 4″ gill. For the next half hour, Mark & I caught several sunnies & a couple perch, but they were at best, marginal keepers. Finally, I landed a fat 7 incher. After that, we caught about 30 gills of various sizes, keeping only the 6″-8″ fish. We landed two decent crappies, but released them just because we could. By noon, we had 11 keepers & it was time to go home. We were fishing with small jigs and either red worms or plastic. The live bait was producing a bit better than the plastics. The bite was light & quick, so they just weren’t hanging on long enough. They seemed to prefer the still bait with little or no movement. They did taste great, so I may have to get out again! Good fishing!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I got my fix over the weekend by going to Wisconsin’s Red Cedar Lake….cousin there right on the water. Not many sunfish for us but 12″ plus crappies were thick as fleas, so…….

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.