Isle Royale 9/7-9/9

• biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Got back pretty late last night concluding my second trip this year to the Isle. I’ll admit, every time I leave that lake I feel like I’ve learned a lot but makes me feel I know so little about that body of water. Anyone who gets bored doing the same old bass, walleye or musky fishing needs to get up to Lake Superior and give a try. It can really give you a sense of accomplishment and a humble a guy st the same time.

We packed the boat full of bear early Thursday morning just as it started to rain. Because of this we left our cell phone chargers in the truck and had no way to charge our phones over the next three days. There aren’t a lot of places to use it out there but I was most worried about taking pictures. It really limited our photos unfortunately.

Although we were greeted by rain the lake was very flat so we make short work of the trip across. Got to out shelter by about 8 am and immediately made breakfast before heading out to fish. Lines in the water by 9 am is pretty good considering. We were surprised to find sub 50 degree water very close to camp and found it dropped as low as 43 degrees and as high as 56 within a 1 mile stretch. This was very encouraging. We fished a reef I did well on last time and found small Lakers anywhere from the surface to 70′ down. We ran lines on the surface to try and coax a few salmon or steelhead and found some success. We managed to land 3 steelhead missing at least 6 more. Then we headed back in for dinner before our evening trip out.

We took about a 15 mile hike out to another reef where I’ve had good success and found huge numbers of small Lakers. All fish were under 5 lbs but it was utter chaos for the moments that we were over fish. We had several triples during this period. Never found anything. Big so we headed in for the night.

Woke up Friday looking to make a 20 mile run to another spot on the north side of the island. Water was nearly flat again but we had clear blue skies and little wind. We had lines in the water by 8:30 but didn’t get our first hit until about 10:30. A small laker. We found 57 degree water with 44 degrees only 20′ down. We tried everything from the surface to 60′ down with nothing to show until we tried a deep reef that was about 90′ at the highest point. We trolled it until about 1:30 and managed to pick up about a dozen 5-8 lb Lakers and one that went 34″. Headed back for dinner and decided to make a trip to the south side.

On the south side we found 58 degrees on the surface and it wasn’t until 100′ down did we find water that was sub 50 degrees. I figured we’d setup in 80-120′ and marked probably 100 fish with not one biter. We pulled up into 50-70′ and started catching fish. All Lakers were less than 10 lbs but we managed about a dozen.

Woke up Saturday to some wind so we headed out to check things out. Immediately found 2-4′ waves and decided to make 1 pass on a reef nearby. I tried to go with the wind on the first pass but the waves were going one way, the wind another way and the current yet another way. This made boat control difficult not to mention getting bounced around. After concluding one pass with 1 small laker it seemed that the waves and wind were actually subsiding some so we made some more passes. After about an hour we hooked into one fish that my buddy through was a log. After a 20 minute fight in the rolling waves we finally landed a fat 38″ laker. I think this was probably the heaviest laker in my boat so we were pretty excited. We fished this area until about 3:30 pm after first thinking it would be only one pass. We managed 2 cohos and I think 6 more Lakers over 30″. That was a good time.

We headed back in to pack up our gear so we could head out one more time before making the trek across the pond. We stopped at a reef where we found lots of small fish on Thursday only to find more small fish. We trolled until about 6:30 when the next log hit. We managed another 38″ beauty.

My buddy in the photos is well over 6′ so he can really make some of those fish look small. The fish that I’m holding is his same fish just to compare.

Overall it’s always a good trip if you get back safely. The fishing is just a bonus. Thanks for reading.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_4477.jpg

2. IMG_4482.jpg

3. IMG_0441.jpg

4. IMG_0437.jpg

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Few more.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_4471.jpg

2. IMG_4475.jpg

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

Sounds like a fun trip. Thanks for putting up the report.

Morel King
    PLAINVIEW MN

Sounds like a blast

ssperch
    Hudson, WI

Biggill, thanks for taking the time to write this up! This is making me have the urge to take a few days off and get up there yet this month… Glad to see you had a nice trip.

Sean Solberg
    St. Paul

Those are some awesome looking fish! Sounds like you had a great trip, and something not everyone will have done.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Great report BigGill! I feel the same way about a lot of lakes, and they are puddles compared to Superior!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Good trip for sure. One of the best parts is that we had only 1 boat come within 1 mile of us in 3 days while we were fishing. He made 1 pass and was gone.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

And for anyone looking to hit Superior near Duluth, there have been really good reports coming from the Dulut/McQuade area all summer. From the sounds of things, this past week has been no different. Lots of lake trout and a few cohos to be had.

DeRangedFishinguy
    Up Nort’

Awesome! Would love to make that trip someday. Have you ever encountered bad weather/big waves making the voyage? If so, how did you handle it?

jake47
    WI

We packed the boat full of bear….

Not sure if you meant beer, gear or actually did mean bear here, lol.

How long is your run across the lake to the island? What size boat and do you use any special navigation to find the island or is it something you can see from where you launch? A trip like this is years away for me, but I’m always interested in stuff like this and will file the information away for later use.

Sounds like it was a pretty awesome trip!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Yes. With respect. It’s always worse to face the on the way in because you are motivated to get home.

I’ve faced 5-6 footers a few times. The best thing to do is avoid it. Listen to the weather forecast on your VHF radio often. Plan ahead.

If you have to , just go slow. 10 mph or less if you have to.

Know your boat. If yours spears waves, just don’t do it. Luckily mine has never speared a wave.

The required safety equipment is necessary for a reason. Have it and make sure it all works.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

It’s 20 miles to get to Washington harbor which is the closes point to Grand Portage. I have a 20′ fiberglass center console bay boat. It’s a deeper bay boat more like a deeper walleye boat hull. I have a 2 stroke 150 Johnson on it with a 8 hp kicker. On a flat calm day I like to cruise at about 30 mph.

Keep in mind gear will decrease your gas mileage. Waves even more. Plan to drive 100-200 miles in total. I typically bring 20-30 extra gallons of gas and I have a 60 gallon fuel tank. But then again I have a 2 stroke gas hog.

The camping facilities make the trip so much easier.

Pm me when you want to know more. It’s a bucket list trip for sure.

tswoboda

Pm me when you want to know more. It’s a bucket list trip for sure.

Definitely on my bucket list! I really enjoy reading your’s and other’s trip reports from the island so please keep them coming next summer.

I took the shuttle boat and backpacked across the island last summer. Super cool place and I was immediately looking at bigger boats when I got home just to make the trip some day. I have a feeling my 17′ glass tiller just isn’t enough boat for ISRO…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.