Is the ice safe on the main lake of Minnetonka?

• Dogfish

Hi All,

I’ve always fished the bays of Lake Minnetonka, but have historically stayed away from the main section(big open area north west of Big Island) for fear that the ice out there was somehow unsafe.

I’d love to try some of those areas out there like Diamond Reef and was wondering if anyone can tell me whether the ice out there freezes up just like any other lake?

Thanks!

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I would recommend talking to Wayzata bait and tackle. they are a good outfit and have always given me good scouting advice. personally I ice fish in the cove of big island all the time, and I have driven from Wayzata bay out to Robinsons bay and ive driven around browns bay but ive never driven around diamond reef. my cousin always told me to stay clear of east and north east portion of big island so I always did. but talk to Wayzata bait they should be able to give you some good advice.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Horseshoe reef and east of there had 7-9″ Saturday. Pretty crap ice in some areas, where others nice and black.

Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

X2 on Wayzata Bait and Tackle. I know Carsons only has like 7 or 8″ on it, which may change with this cold snap. I would assume Wayzata bay has less, so the main lake is a no go unless you have history there. A ton of current makes the main area of Tonka a rear end puckering experience

Dogfish

Hey Doug,

That’s exactly the kind of stuff I wanted to know. Are there large currents sweeping through the main lake? Are there springs? Aka, any reason the ice wouldn’t form like normal. (outside of the fact that its more water to cool down)

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Are there large currents sweeping through the main lake? Are there springs?

Some parts never freeze, remember years ago some kids were driving around the lake in that area and went in? The girl was found frozen to death trying to crawl to shore for help, it was like -20 that day

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Some parts never freeze, remember years ago some kids were driving around the lake in that area and went in? The girl was found frozen to death trying to crawl to shore for help, it was like -20 that day

That was the single most disturbing story I’ve ever read about a car going through the ice. If I remember right they found one of them only 100′ from a home after collapsing trying to get help. It really shows how dangerous the super cold weather can be.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>songpool5 wrote:</div>
    Are there large currents sweeping through the main lake? Are there springs?

i never heard that! Yikes thats a haunting image. what year did that happen?

Stay away from halsteds bay. ive heard there are springs in that lake that makes the ice unstable

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

It happened in 2003. I’ll see if I can dig up the story.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I don’t want to take anything away from any deaths that have occured on the lake, but, also want some more clarification on how “deadly” this lake apparently is to some.

All my googling has come up with mostly all channel incidents, and many of those with vehicles.

Even that story shared by biggill in another report has the car skidded into the water after noticing the blinking thin ice signs. This lake is well monitored by the DNR and should be for the recreation and large number of people who use it year round. Would like to know some more of those real current issues that may be present in the middle of the lake and not the obvious channel dangers that are always present. wave

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bigcrappie wrote:</div>

That was the single most disturbing story I’ve ever read about a car going through the ice. If I remember right they found one of them only 100′ from a home after collapsing trying to get help. It really shows how dangerous the super cold weather can be.

Agree, I remember that vividly. I couldn’t imagine losing a child.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.