Is Minnkota still in business?

• bigpike

Talked with a bait shop owner last night and I asked about ordering a Minnkota. He told me he cant get them and he has one on order from last year!!!!
    Is Minnkota surviving? How can they if they cant produce motors? Maybe I’m missing something here. Please enlighten me. Is motorguide in the same boat so to speak?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I think there has been a backup on production of them, for various reasons. I have heard of others even just on this forum indicating that certain models have a long wait time.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’m pretty sure they are posting banner years as demand has far exceeded their production capacity. I’d guess every boat related company is…in the same boat.

Ripjiggen

Along with Hummingbird and Cannon as they are under Johnson Outdoors.

picklerick
    Central WI

Just about everything that has a microchip in it is seeing long backorders, too. I sell industrial electrical controls and automation products and it’s been rough.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Not to turn this political. But I’m sure Minnkota is like A LOT of companies these days. They probably can’t get people to return to work or can’t find people to hire. I think some of these issues will get better once they stop paying people extra money on top of their regular unemployment benefits and stop adding extension’s to unemployment benefits. . When you have a agency like the unemployment agency telling people if you still don’t feel safe returning to work because of Covid concerns, then stay home and if your employer rejects your unemployment claim we will go after the employer – What can you expect. How we can have record high unemployment at the same time as business’s can not find workers I have no idea. There are a ton of business’s in this area with signs on the door that say due to not being able to find workers our evening and weekend hours are cut. Its really a sad situation for business’s these days !!!

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

No different than vehicle manufacturers.

Crazy world we’re living in nowadays.

Reef W

It’s not a lack of employees. It’s high demand and supply chain issues. From Johnson Outdoors quarterly results released three days ago:

Fishing revenue increased 51 percent due to continued high demand across all product lines in Minn Kota® and Humminbird®

iowa_josh

50% is huge. Many industries seem to be like the rimfire ammo supply. They cannot increase supply easily so they don’t.

Ripjiggen

What companies are equipped to handle 50 increase in a short amount of time. Not many. Throw in supply chain issues and well here we are.

bigpike

Had no idea demand was so high but it makes sense with covid and people rediscovering the outdoors in any fashion. I’ll wait for things to stabilize like I am with a good deal of other none essential items. Just make due with what I have and that’s not a bad thing.

MX1825

50% is huge. Many industries seem to be like the rimfire ammo supply. They cannot increase supply easily so they don’t.

The companies can’t expand to meet the demand it is too expensive. What happens in 2 years when demand is down and we have a Big new building and lay off employees.

catmando
    wis

Not to turn this political. But I’m sure Minnkota is like A LOT of companies these days. They probably can’t get people to return to work or can’t find people to hire. I think some of these issues will get better once they stop paying people extra money on top of their regular unemployment benefits and stop adding extension’s to unemployment benefits. . When you have a agency like the unemployment agency telling people if you still don’t feel safe returning to work because of Covid concerns, then stay home and if your employer rejects your unemployment claim we will go after the employer – What can you expect. How we can have record high unemployment at the same time as business’s can not find workers I have no idea. There are a ton of business’s in this area with signs on the door that say due to not being able to find workers our evening and weekend hours are cut. Its really a sad situation for business’s these days !!!

Then , just why do you do it?

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Yes they are still turning record profits.

Glad I got my MDI terrova and free Helix 7 2 years ago hearing these unprecedented shortages.
    For those looking for motors and graphs, try the used market. Plenty of options on FBMP and CL.

stevenoak

I got a e mailed advertisement from Minnkota this morning. Think they are still around. But I ‘m sure they are in the same boat of all businesses. Getting help. And like most manufacturers that have become dependent on foreign suppliers to build their products are in a bind. Wonder if like car makers. May have a ton of inventory built, waiting on a couple pieces. Computer chips come to mind.

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

I had a Terrova w/ MDI on order since April 5th when I bought my boat in Eagle River. In late July my Helix 9 showed up so I picked up my boat. At that time MinnKota told them October…no promises. I have called Minn Kota numerous times and did some screaming. From what I gather they are working 24/7 making as many as they can. Demand is high.

Ironically this week I went to a dealer in Rhinelander to get a quart of oil. Guess what they had in stock……. They ordered “a bunch” of them last fall and had 2 left. I brought one home yesterday. Dealer where I bought my boat was glad I found one. I have next week set up for them to install it and my Helix 7 up front.

milemark_714

Talked with a bait shop owner last night and I asked about ordering a Minnkota. He told me he cant get them and he has one on order from last year!!!!
    Is Minnkota surviving? How can they if they cant produce motors? Maybe I’m missing something here. Please enlighten me. Is motorguide in the same boat so to speak?

I think the high-volume vendors get theirs before the smaller ones?I got a Terrova last month at Farm and Barn,guy told me supply is just trickling in.They get 2 here and 4 there.They had 3 in stock when I got mine,and when I went to pick it up,the 2 others were sold.The guy was good about it and put 3 sticky notes on it to hold it for pick-up.

Certain parts like electronics are in short supply.Solix and Helix are back-ordered out.12″ especially.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Did a quick google. Not only is Johnson Outoors still in business, they are doing great. Stock price, revenue, etc. Things look pretty rosy from a financial standpoint.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I have a brand new 36 volt Ulterra that I bought last winter at Reeds. It’s still in the box. Sooner or later I will use it I suppose.

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

I ordered a 36v Ulterra on my new boat. I was told hopefully by spring…

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I ordered a 36v Ulterra on my new boat. I was told hopefully by spring…

Congrats! What will be done first the Ulterra or the boat?

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

Got the boat, long story…but it was returned, never been in the water customer order that was backed out on.

Attachments:
    1. 91A8E76E-815C-40F7-8659-4B6BD7FAFF5F-scaled.jpeg

2. 5E558C26-9685-4D6A-A568-C70A2D76C6F8-scaled.jpeg

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I don’t want to sell my Ulterra but if you want to use it until yours shows up or I need it let me know.

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

That’s a heck of an offer Dutch, thanks! But if I’m going to break something, it better be mine. Im content waiting…..hopefully be ready to roll by opener. waytogo

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.