iFish Pro

• John Kennedy

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>John Kennedy wrote:</div>
    My version of an easy on/off slip stop. It floats in room temp water, but not sure what it will do in cold water. I can always add a small dab of the foam from the bobber. If memory serves the Ifish stop wanted to sink and slide down the line.

I saw this earlier before using mine and thinking I was all ready to go when I realized I had to thread this damn thing on. I wondered why they couldn’t have made s clip on. Then i cut the line, threaded it on Tied up and got ready to set it. Cussed it out when the stop slid down the line and sank. Kind of a PIA to feed all the line by hand. I want to use my rod like I normally do with all aspects, not just reeling. Coincidently I just bought 2 of these foam bobbers this morning without realizing they were the same thing you used here. I think I’ll make up a couple of these and leave a little foam attached so it floats.

Sorry I messed up trying to edit the quote.

Don’t feel bad I put a bead above the bobber stop in a classic “duh” moment. reels don’t like this…

On the slip stops I found that they float in room temp water, but at ice fishing temps they sink. I’m going to add a bit of the foam back onto mine to help it float just a bit.

On the holes I used a heated nail rather than a drill to penetrate the plastic, but this same method melts the foam instantly so use caution.

phishingruven01
    Inactive
    southeast lower michigan

I was fishing LOTW the last couple days inside a day shack. I was unable to use the ifishpro because it was 15 below and i couldnt get the ifp to sit over the hole inside.
    So i improvised. My rod, reel, line and hook set up was exaclty like James demonstrated. Okuma avenger 20 baitfeeder, 20# braid, egg sinker, barrel swivel, floro leader to a vmc sureset #8 with a fathead hooked like James video tip. Also a #4 split shot about 7 8 inches up. I was using it as a dead stick. My hook up percentage was 100%. It was incredible. Even when the small fish wouldnt run with the minnow and take line, i was still able to make a good hook set. And when the bigger fish hit and ran, the baitfeeder worked as advertised. I was fully impressed!
    Much gratitude to James for showing me his set up and tips.
    THANK YOU!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_31021.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

So has any one been using these in the wicked cold we have had? I used a hole cover under it but that makes it tough when the moment comes. Any other ideas? I wonder how the spray foam worked ?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

@Nate basinger
    Dies the spray foam make a big difference?

BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

Has anyone used an inline type reel with the IFP? I’ve seen baitcasters used but the general consensus seems to be that baitcasters are not the best performers ice fishing. The last time I had my new replacement Okuma Baitfeeder out it didn’t perform that well once it got cold so now I’m thinking about an in-line setup.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Has anyone used an inline type reel with the IFP? I’ve seen baitcasters used but the general consensus seems to be that baitcasters are not the best performers ice fishing. The last time I had my new replacement Okuma Baitfeeder out it didn’t perform that well once it got cold so now I’m thinking about an in-line setup.

I see Aaron Weibe from uncut angling is fishing with low profile baitcasters during ice season

Aaron Kalberer

@Bearcat89 I took a hole cover and attached with spray adhesive to the bottom, I then trimmed it as to not have any tight spots where line could get caught. I used it on in -12 with a 15 mph wind. Holes would skim over in about 20 minutes which I was happy with given the conditions. Been catching a lot of pike on mine and a few bonus eyes as well and even a few bigger perch.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

@bearcat89 I took a hole cover and attached with spray adhesive to the bottom, I then trimmed it as to not have any tight spots where line could get caught. I used it on in -12 with a 15 mph wind. Holes would skim over in about 20 minutes which I was happy with given the conditions. Been catching a lot of pike on mine and a few bonus eyes as well and even a few bigger perch.

Thank you I will do that. I appreciate the input

tangler
    Inactive

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BoatsHateMe wrote:</div>

I see Aaron Weibe from uncut angling is fishing with low profile baitcasters during ice season

I copied him for my finnicky fooler setup. Setting the spool tension super light is perfect for this application. Line comes off incredibly easily but is also very easy to control. I’ve read they can be tough in very cold temps.

phishingruven
    tip of the mitten

going out for pike tomorrow. I needed a reminder on how to set up my line. Gotta say, the search function worked great!

Viewing 10 posts - 61 through 70 (of 70 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.