If you need a laugh…(people are idiots)

• ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

This was the 4th story on AOL this morning…

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2018/09/14/ohio-man-survives-14-hour-nightmare-of-being-trapped-in-car/23527107/

A motorist was prepared to meet his maker when he found himself trapped in his Cadillac for 14 hours on a hot, summer day.

Cleveland resident Peter Pyros was backing his car out of the driveway in August when suddenly the battery died.

Because the electric buttons used to active the door latch wouldn’t work, he became a prisoner in his own car, reported the Detroit Free Press.

He tried shouting for help and pounding on the window, hoping it would break, but to avail.

“I came to the conclusion that I was going to die,” Pyros, 75, told reporters. “I asked God to help me twice, then I said, ‘OK, God, if this is the way I’m supposed to die, I will die.’ ”

He even penned his nephew a goodbye note, which explained his predicament, just in case he expired.

After more than half a day stuck in the vehicle and barely able to breathe, a curious neighbor noticed Pyros’ garage door open suspiciously late at night. Upon closer scrutiny, he discovered Pyros before contacting police.

When first responders arrived at the scene, they charged Pyros’ battery long enough so he could let himself out of the car.

What Pyros was unaware of is that his 2006 Cadillac XLR was equipped with a manual door release handle, marked in red, located on the floor next to the seat. The only problem was he didn’t know it existed and the owner’s manual was not inside the vehicle.

Pyros may be alive but he’s not happy. He’s suing General Motors, the maker of his car, for not making the emergency late easier to locate.

There’s sooo much here I loved! The first responders “charged” his battery? Seriously? I’ve broken car windows for a lot less.

The car was equipped with a door release…LOL

But hey, at least he’s going to sue to make it right! LMAO

404 ERROR
    MN

Did you know McDonalds coffee is hot?…

Sounds like a real winner…I would have swallowed my pride and went on with my life…not GM’s fault he’s a bonehead. Glad he survived, however…

blackbay

If my doors are locked and I pull the door handle it still opens. What kind of car doesn’t this happen in? I’m calling bologna.

munchy
    NULL

Now all Cadillac’s are going to get a recall to have a large red sticker with an arrow adhered to the door say “Emergency Door Release”

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

Cadillac has a great tag on the trunk release for when he ever gets locked into it. I can’t believe he is going to sue because he didn’t know how to get out. Do you think I could sue for a new boat because the plug was not in it from the dealer and I took on water?

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

If my doors are locked and I pull the door handle it still opens.

This should probably be mandatory.

Elderly are the, well, elderly. I can see many people getting confused, and that doesn’t mean they aren’t cognitively able to drive still. 75 ain’t no spring chicken. Busting out a window can be tough, let alone fidgeting around in the front seat looking for a release of some sort.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Blackbay wrote:</div>
    If my doors are locked and I pull the door handle it still opens.

This should probably be mandatory.

Elderly are the, well, elderly. I can see many people getting confused, and that doesn’t mean they aren’t cognitively able to drive still. 75 ain’t no spring chicken. Busting out a window can be tough, let alone fidgeting around in the front seat looking for a release of some sort.

Hey, careful now with those “elderly” comments rotflol

S.R.
    Certified Old Guy

blank

Do you think I could sue for a new boat because the plug was not in it from the dealer and I took on water?

I see what you did there….classic applause

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Tuma wrote:</div>
    Do you think I could sue for a new boat because the plug was not in it from the dealer and I took on water?

Ha! Inside IDO jokes are the best

Sharon
    SE Metro

If my doors are locked and I pull the door handle it still opens. What kind of car doesn’t this happen in? I’m calling bologna.

Mine. 2009 Subaru. If I press the door lock button I can’t open the doors. BUT if that lock button malfunctions for some reason I would just manually flip the lock to open and then leave the car. Not sure why the guy just didn’t do that. Also, who doesn’t have a cell phone these days to call someone for help? Lastly, why didn’t he honk the horn to wave down a passerby (unless the battery was 100% dead I guess). Surely someone drove by his house during those 14 hours.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

In another report he said he forgot his phone inside and there was not a big red sign where it said horn for him to find and honk.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Blackbay wrote:</div>

Mine. 2009 Subaru. If I press the door lock button I can’t open the doors. BUT if that lock button malfunctions for some reason I would just manually flip the lock to open and then leave the car. Not sure why the guy just didn’t do that. Also, who doesn’t have a cell phone these days to call someone for help? Lastly, why didn’t he honk the horn to wave down a passerby (unless the battery was 100% dead I guess). Surely someone drove by his house during those 14 hours.

When the doors are locked in my vehicle there is nothing exposed to grab hold of (or at least very little) I don’t think I’d be able to manually unlock the door lock. That said, my door will open with the inside handle either way (locked or unlocked).

In the case of the Cadillac, maybe a step back to the KISS principle should be considered. Do we really need a push button to open our door for us? (rhetorical question) grin

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

The Cadillac story may be fake, but I’d be willing to bet there is a double digit percentage of the population that does NOT know that if your keyless entry’s battery goes dead, you can still use your—errrr–key to get into a car.

A few years back in Minneapolis, I used to park in Ramp C. I was walking to my truck and there was a rather forlorn-looking young woman in her late 20s standing by her Jeep Cherokee. I asked her if her battery was dead as it was January and that’s the first thing that crossed my mind.

No, she said. I’m locked out. My remote battery went dead.

At this point, I carefully looked around for cameras thinking this was some kind of gag. Then I asked if I could see her remote, which came attached to a nice shiny key. I used said key to insert into the–no sh!t–keyhole on the driver’s door.

I looked back at her and I swear she was about to die of embarrassment. OMG, I feel sooooooooooo stupid, never even noticed that lock there, etc, etc.

I cannot be alone in having to point that out to someone.

Grouse

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

No, she said. I’m locked out. My remote battery went dead.
    At this point, I carefully looked around for cameras thinking this was some kind of gag. Then I asked if I could see her remote, which came attached to a nice shiny key. I used said key to insert into the–no sh!t–keyhole on the driver’s door.
    I looked back at her and I swear she was about to die of embarrassment. OMG, I feel sooooooooooo stupid, never even noticed that lock there, etc, etc.

Did the alarm sound when you did this?
    Only reason I ask; My Ford F150; If I lock the truck with the remote and then later unlock it using the key,,,,,,,,,,,, the anti theft alarm will sound.
    Proper procedure according to the manual is, lock with remote = unlock with remote or lock with key = unlock with key.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

“I looked back at her and I swear she was about to die of embarrassment. OMG, I feel sooooooooooo stupid, never even noticed that lock there, etc, etc.

Grouse ”

That’s when you break out the “Lurch” head shake/moan and walk away.

S.R.

Attachments:
    1. lurch-fb.jpg

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Forget which vehicle would alarm with key but I figured out if I turned key 2x in lock it deactivated and opened. Have no idea how I figured that out but it worked

CBMN
    North Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>blank wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Tuma wrote:</div>

Ha! Inside IDO jokes are the best

Definitely a good laugh. Can’t fix stupid.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Like the guy who buys 4 boat plugs that don’t fit… Only to have someone point out that you twist to expand the plug

True story

doah

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

Forget which vehicle would alarm with key but I figured out if I turned key 2x in lock it deactivated and opened. Have no idea how I figured that out but it worked

And (on Mazda) if you turn the key to unlock twice it will unlock all the doors.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

No, the alarm didn’t sound.

Does inserting the key in your Ford and/or turning the ignition to the “on” position de-activate the alarm?

Grouse

robby
    Quad Cities

I dont think this is funny.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Borrowed the old mans chevy Silverado on a camping trip in remote Canada (large camp ground) Got up super early, needed something out of the truck…I used the key to get in cause my Tundra viper system chirps when I unlock with the fob…and yes, the alarms started to go off. I felt like crap.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

True story (I was a witness from outside the car).

A 60 plus year old employee was in her car when I arrived to work. I was about 10 minutes early so I sat in my truck and went through emails.

Time to go in and there was a group of 3 or so people around her car. She couldn’t get out. No matter what she or we did the doors wouldn’t open…until we asked if she would just press the unlock button.

She had a long day that day.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Huntindave wrote:</div>

No, the alarm didn’t sound.

Does inserting the key in your Ford and/or turning the ignition to the “on” position de-activate the alarm?

Grouse

Yes, Insert key and turn the ignition to the on position.

Sharon
    SE Metro

This reminds me, I got stuck in my car once. Kinda. I got a car wash and then drove to work. Admittedly it was still a bit too cold outside for a car wash following a 15 mile drive on the highway. By the time I got to work my doors were frozen shut. So I rolled down the window and crawled out. Thank God it was a 2-door Cutlass and the windows were nice and roomy for me to squiggle my way out. Upon entering my office about four coworkers were glued to the windows, laughing and wondering what the hell I was doing. To top it off, it snowed later that morning and somehow I completely forgot my driver’s side window was open. I should have climbed out the passenger side… doah

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

My understanding is the Caddy had stone dead battery. Also there is no handle to just open the door. It has an electric release to open the door not a regular handle/lever.

Grouse I have been called to unlock a car and the owner had the key in their hand. Remote wouldn’t work. Has happened more than once. Red face always. doah

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I wonder how many 10 and under kids have NEVER seen a car key used?

JAnderson

Only joke here is that someone uses AOL for their news!!!

You’ve got mail!

blank

Only joke here is that someone uses AOL for their news!!!

You’ve got mail!

Haha, I was thinking the same thing!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.