How do you fix a strikemaster pull rope?

• salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

My pull rope broke yesterday before I could get my fith hole done and its not as easy of a fix as I though it would be. It looks like the rope case is held in place bythree bolts, but even after theyre undone the case doesnt come off. What do I do next? Cant get out until its fixed, sucks.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Call your local Strikemaster certified repair shop or call Strikemaster.

Strikemaster Contact Info

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

So theres absolutely no way someone whos mechanically sound can fix a pull rope? Im really trying to avoid waiting 2-3 days and paying atleast $50 just for a pull rope to be tied in place. why cant they have tiller motor pull rope covers.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Mechanically sound ?? And an auger recoil rope is kicking your butt ???? Send it in…..

big G

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

kind of hard working outside at 7 in the morning with no light don’t you think? This has to be one of the dumbest design flaws to extract money from customers ever. Pay service fees because no FAQs or manuals answer how to fix a pull rope.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

No need to send it in…get a hold of them this morning and I’ll bet a quarter you’ll have it tomorrow.

I don’t recall how to take one off. I thought it was three bolts but rewinding it is a …job.

Actually, there’s a video out there on how to lube a Solo…I’ll go looky see.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Take the 3 bolts off and look at how the system works, it maybe a simple fix, such as a spring fell out of place or the recoil is simply stuck. If you live near Big Lake, it will just cost you gas to get it fixed. Or any small engine repair shop should have you up and running in less than 15 minutes.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I’ve not had this break on my Strikemaster, but I’ve dealt with it alot on lawn mowers. I assumed there is likely just a replacement housing/cord. A few bolts and the new one is installed. In my experience, trying to re-string a cord on the lawn mowers took more time and effort than just replacing the coil/rope mechanism.

I was merely suggesting a call to them. Their customer service is top notch. They can walk you through a fix or mail you the replacement part. Good luck!

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

You have to pull the gas tank and the carb off in addition to those three bolts on the top, then the top should come off with a little prying/tapping/wiggling.

If its a solo, then i have no idea, i have an older one.

Jami

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

I kind of side with Big G on this one….
    If you still think its up your alley there might be a bolt or 2 hiding behind the gas tank???? -Mark

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Quote:

You have to pull the gas tank and the carb off in addition to those three bolts on the top, then the top should come off with a little prying/tapping/wiggling.

Jami

Me too…
    I had the same on my 02 this year…tightened the coil spring myself !!

Jeff Bennett
    Lake Puckaway Wi.

If its just the rope broke its not too bad of a job, but it a pain to do it for sure.

phishirman
    Madison, WI

Quote:

Jami

x2. take a lighter or torch to burn the end of the rope to make it easier to get through the hole, wind the recoil about 10 times (it will start getting tight) hold it in place, slide the rope through, and tie a figure 8 knot. I’m writing this off memory, but i think you need to jam the knot into the groove so it doesnt get bunged up on something. let the recoil go and if the rope doesnt cinch all the way up to the housing, pull it all the way out, hold the recoil and wrap the rope around it once or twice.

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Jami

x2. take a lighter or torch to burn the end of the rope to make it easier to get through the hole, wind the recoil about 10 times (it will start getting tight) hold it in place, slide the rope through, and tie a figure 8 knot. I’m writing this off memory, but i think you need to jam the knot into the groove so it doesnt get bunged up on something. let the recoil go and if the rope doesnt cinch all the way up to the housing, pull it all the way out, hold the recoil and wrap the rope around it once or twice.

That sounds about right! But after my rope came off the second time…. I now have a chunk of climbers rope waiting to go on the next time it happens….

Jami

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

Jami youre exactly right. I emailed, then called, then went outside with the light and figured out the gas tank moves and you have to split the stcker to get the case open. Tip up time finally. Note, dont try to fix pull ropes in the dark

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

My friend pulled the knot out of the handle on the recoil for my eskimo the other day…Took it home, got an allen wrench, removed 4 bolts, popped the top off, grabbed the rope, burned up the frayed edges with a lighter, threaded it back through the hole, tied it, put the bolts back on, went back fishing. Took about 5 minutes. Not sure how it is on the Strikemaster’s but looking at the video that BK posted, it looks almost the same.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.