8k btu direct-vent heater install question

• stcroixer
    Croix Valley

I am installing a smaller 8k btu direct-vent heater in my ice house. It did not come with instructions and looks real easy to install, but I need to make the pipes that go out side shorter to fit a 1.5″ wall vs the 3.5″ wall of the house it came out of.
    My question is, will taking and additional 2″ of piping off make a difference for proper airflow?
    Thanks for any help.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Not excatly sure where your cutting, but would it be possible to make a spacer instead?

Al

stcroixer
    Croix Valley

Hey Al, thanks for the quick response.
    I am cutting both of the galvanized intake and exhaust tubes that go through the wall. I just want to shorten them to the thickness of my thinner wall.

stcroixer
    Croix Valley

also, thought about the spacer, but I would like to reduce the amount it stick out outside or how much it would have to take up on the inside.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

I’d be concerned with the units ability to draft if shorter, hard to say.

A call to the manufacter will probably have them saying not to touch it, because of liability
    Never know though.

Al

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

stcroix:

First pic is stove by itself with adapter pipe sticking out??? Second pic shows outside termination??? Did the unit come with a wall thimble??? Do any instructions come with??? Does the termination tighten to the interior pipe???

Mark

stcroixer
    Croix Valley

Yes, that was concern also. I tried to call HomComfort and they have a message that states “There is a winter storm going through their city” and they will be “closed until further notice”.

stcroixer
    Croix Valley

1st pic is the units after I took off the outside termination. Not sure what a wall thimble is, that can’t be good
    No instructions.
    The inner galv pipe is the exhaust, the outside pipe is the fresh air intake, I think.
    And it has a threaded long screw that pulls the outside termination tight.

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

Not sure what else is involved but in general a shorter pipe should only increase your airflow, however slightly. The more length you have the more your flow is restricted. The more turns, the more your flow is restricted.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

Not sure what else is involved but in general a shorter pipe should only increase your airflow, however slightly. The more length you have the more your flow is restricted. The more turns, the more your flow is restricted.

On a forced draft maybe, but to short a vent on a natural draft unit may not vent well.

Al

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

From the manual “installed on walls 4.0-11.75 inches thick” if this is your unit.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Most definitely, inner is exhaust and outer is the intake. Wall thimble (WT) is metallic piece that pipe runs through. Is there any possibility that you might be able to get WT, then install and block out to the horizontal termination???

Mark

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Good find Czech!!! All the info is regarding the DV-8. It shows installation procedure and parts. You may have everything you need in the pdf file.

Mark

stcroixer
    Croix Valley

just printed, thanks for all the replies and PM’s.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.