Help Needed…

• luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Big Crappies…where do they go? I have got five or six fish this year over 15″…all released. I know there are bigger..MUCH bigger in the lake. Tactics suggestions? I’m all ears. I’ve tried, plain small hooks with minnows…dorsal/tail/lip hooked. I’ve tried every ice jig known to man. Colored spikes/wax worms/gulp/plastics…I’ve tried all depths, and even 6″-1′ foot below the ice…

Any suggestions on how to find/trigger these bigger fish? Tips/methods that work?

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Wish I had that answer. My only decent crappies this year have come on a red CJ&S plastic (the really long one) and a glow jig from a ratso out of 36 FOW. And I can count them on one hand without using all my fingers.

Jaya
    Zimmerman, MN

my suggestion… take some pics of those big craps and put em up!!!

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Luke how light of a jig have you tried? 1/32nd, 1/64th, or 1/100th. Crappies cannot resist a slow falling jig to simply inhale. The time it takes these jigs to fall is painfully slow, but the results can be shocking. Give it a try!

Whiskerkev
    Madison

John’s big crappies were just full of blood worms. Next time he gets to clean my fish.

JOSH192
    50 min from the river

go big we use 3inch shiners and bait out of small creeks we have caught 9 over 15 inches this year setting out rod powered tip ups…. we find these fish to be just like bass trolling the shallow water day and night in and out of weeds….. we catch these fish out of 6 ft. of water even though the “keepers” are out in 15 to 25 …. just whats worked for me

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

I’ve tried the really tiny flu-flu’s…the smallest Bob makes. No success, I think I need to concentrate on shallower water more.

This one went a hair over 14″ and was caught by my friend. I don’t have any pictures of my fish, as I was fishing alone, and my camera timer function does not work anymore, after I used it to take pics of the wipers.

JOSH192
    50 min from the river

in that pic of your friend he’s using a fly reel what backing or line do you typically use on that

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

normal fly reel backing…then three lbs p-line. All of my panfish rods are rigged like this.

JOSH192
    50 min from the river

nice thanks alot luke keep on those big crappies… we got a 17 1/4″ last week on a 5 inch shiner just outside the portable it attracts the sunfish in it seems then all of a sudden flag up.that one is going on the wall … good luck!

a1a

They moved to Rainy Lake.

mower
    Wisconsin, Outagamie

I’ve got the same problem. If you figure it out let me know.

iacanoeguy
    Iowa - Franklin Co

I also have this problem. I have noticed in the last two years of SUMMER fishing that my largest crappies of the year have come from REALLY deep (60+) that I have caught while jigging for walleye. I caught 3 in one spot this summer(16″+) in MN and even on canoe trips up north have caught some huge crappies in deep water – just does not seem to apply to my ice fishing though. I know you fish McBride a lot. Even though I grew up around there, I don’t remember how deep the lake is???

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

I think you need me to come down there with some Tip Downs and see if we can put a hurtin on those BIG boys!

iceman1985
    Grand Rapids, MI

Quote:

I also have this problem. I have noticed in the last two years of SUMMER fishing that my largest crappies of the year have come from REALLY deep (60+) that I have caught while jigging for walleye. I caught 3 in one spot this summer(16″+) in MN and even on canoe trips up north have caught some huge crappies in deep water – just does not seem to apply to my ice fishing though. I know you fish McBride a lot. Even though I grew up around there, I don’t remember how deep the lake is???

In regards to fish coming that deep, do you “fizz” those fish or just release them as is? I know that the preasure thing can cause them to die. Just wondering if that applys to ice fishing as well. Well, I guess it would. Water is water and preasure is preasure. Anyways, ignore the rambling and if you would answer the questions.

arklite881south

PICS!! Please!! I’d love to see that 17 1/4 hog!!

bassrat13
    north central iowa

biggest one i’ve ever gotten came from a farm pond -4#2oz…sight fishing in 3 FOW weed edge right next to the deepest hole in the place…she was 19 1/4″ and is on my wall…. regularly get 15″-17″ fish during the late ice periodevery year from the local lake but those on the other hand are usually on a hump in 45 FOW coming out 65 FOW…talk about both ends of the spectrum!!! (and yes i fizz em’…1″ long insulin syringe does wonders.)

iacanoeguy
    Iowa - Franklin Co

Like an idiot I did not even think about that for the first one. After I put it back and of course it was dead, I did “fizz” the others and they live on

hawkeye27

Luke I have started using these tiny tungsten jigs and have had decent luck when no one else has. The jigs are so small (size 16) I clip a wedgee tail to about a 1/4 of an inch long and thread on. hopefully this will put some on the ice for you

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.