Strikemaster Lazer Mag Not Cutting

• nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Got my new 7″ yesterday, put it together, and watched the instructional videos. Made it to the store this afternoon for some oil and got some premium fuel. Filled it up, 4 pulls running like a champ. Unbelievable what it feels like to hit the throttle just running in garage with cover on. Wife comes home tells me to quit playing with myself its time for dinner. After dinner she comes out to our pond with me and gives a 20 second countdown for the first hole. At zero the auger roars off and cuts about 4″ of ice but then looses bite. I tried another hole same thing, another and another. I tried increasing pressure from only drill weight to about 10lbs, but no change. The only thing that could get the drill going was leaning it off vertical until it bit. I drilled 10 holes not one continous, after that display I shut it down, wife says bummer, I’m cold and goes back to the house. I’m pretty dissapointed right now. Going to call strikemaster in the am, any thoughts?

Blades and auger assembly are tight.
    Blades look excellent

onestout
    Hudson, WI

That sucks Sounds like something is up with the blade angle or something. I would expect them to replace the bit. Good luck.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Make sure the bolts holding the blades are tight. Other than that check to make sure a weld on the piece that the blades bolt to did not break. If all else fails take it back for a new one.

arklite881south

Hey Nick

First off Great story!! Only happens when the wife is around probably

Definately sounds like blade angles. I’d call Strikemaster and ask for Heather. She can help you or direct you to someone who can. My guess is something rather simple, and it doesn’t take much of a pitch change to make a big difference in cutting.

Steve Vick
    New London, MN

I second the tip to check that your auger blades are tight…..That was an issue in the past and will cause the situation you describe. I know you said they’re tight, but put a wrench on them and crank tight. They can feel tight and not move, but when you tighten them some more, it changes the angle ever so slightly, but makes all the difference in the world! If that doesn’t work, bring it back. They’ll take care of ya!

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Sounds like slush icing up the blades – 4 inches then losing bite. Try some silicone spray on the blades and go back out there and give it another whirl.

mrwalleye
    MN

thats why I like a chipper blade

herb
    6ft under

I made a similar post a week or so ago. The company sent out new blades but that did not fix it. Blades were tight. My partner ended up taking the machine back to the store and trading for another. New machine is fine. I’m with the crowd that says the blade angle is off.
    Take it back for exchange.

oldbear
    State Center, Iowa

Was the power point installed. Just grabbin straws.

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

What is the power point? There are only two blades on the bottom of the auger, there is not a point like my old jiffy. Is there supposed to be?

Blades were tightened when taking out of the box, double checked them this am with 8mm, they are as snug as I feel comfortable cranking on them without breaking one.

There is no slush at all, no snow on the ice on my pond and there is no water in the hole yet to be froze up on blade.

Oliver13

My new Lazer Mag has a point in the middle.

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

I am pretty sure there wasn’t. Already at work for the day, wife is still at home, talked her into popping off the cover and snapping a few pics to send me. I’ll post them up.

phigs
    Twin Cities, MN

take it back, and get a new one, something is wrong with the build of that one. Don’t try to “fix” something that is brand new, when i buy brand new, it needs to work like brand new.

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

No point in the picture, looks like frozen water in the hole where one should be. Tried to zoom it and save but that didn’t work too well… Last night I was thinking maybe it was like my MORA and didn’t have a point, now I am thinking should my MORA have a point. I didn’t see a point in the box, did they forget to put it on during build? I don’t remember anything about that for the purchaser having to install in the video.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Definitely missing the power point on that one. Call SM

in case it’s not in the box.

763 263-8999

The Mora line doesn’t have the power point.

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Power point and new blade set are on their way from Strikemaster. Next test will be Friday when they get here. Hope it works or I’ll be cutting 16inches with the MORA…

g-no
    Minnesota

Hopefully that’s the end of your bad luck!

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Bad luck still in progress. My package from strikemaster came today with a free sticker too. To bad there was no power point in the package and the replacement blades are 8″ instead of 7″. Barely maintaining composure, good thing they are closed and i have 12+ hours to calm down before talking with them. Less than impressed…

phigs
    Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

Bad luck still in progress. My package from strikemaster came today with a free sticker too. To bad there was no power point in the package and the replacement blades are 8″ instead of 7″. Barely maintaining composure, good thing they are closed and i have 12+ hours to calm down before talking with them. Less than impressed…

well, that is totally unacceptable!

should have returned it the first day, and got a new one.

matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

Usually strikemaster has really good service… If your not to angry I would try again. That point its important. They will get things worked out.

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Apparently I told them I had an 8″ even though the email with model and serial #’s for the 7″. When I questioned about the power point, oh just an oversight… New blades on the way today with the power point, hopefully. Bought some new 6″ blades for the Mora hand saw, should make today’s 14″ a bit easier. Need to make each cut count today, no swiss cheese ice. More to come.

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Power point came today. Took her out to the pond. 3 pulls, 2 minute warm up, and cutting like butter. Pumped to get out this weekend and burn some holes. Love the motor torque and ability to just sit and idle with no jockeying of controls. Was pretty dissapointed, strikemaster did call and check on me today to see if the next set of parts came, and they did. What a mess, but worth it in the end. Here’s to the new auger!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.