Walleye Reels

• iceman1985
    Grand Rapids, MI

I am going to be fishing for walleye for the first time this year. I have a 30″ Gandermnt Guide series rod with the reel that came with it. It seems okay and I am not going to complain because my wife got it for me for a Christmas present but will that reel do or do I need to go and pick one up? Suggestions would be nice. Keep in mind though that I am on a tight budget so reels under 30 would be the best. Thanks guys.

kroger3
    blaine mn

Depends how smooth the drag is….

iceman1985
    Grand Rapids, MI

Okay. That is honestly something I didn’t think about. I will have to check that out.

katmando
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

i think the shimano sienna is a pretty good and smooth reel. i have seen it online for 27 i pay 30 bucks at cabelas so not to bad.

iceman1985
    Grand Rapids, MI

I will check that one out too. Thanks guys.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

clean the old grease out and add the hot sauce (red) grease to the reel, some of those reels will get tight when they go out into the cold, hot sauce will fix that.

sandmannd

Get a Shimano Sedona SE500FD reel and use it on your walleye rod in the summer as well. Great reels.

Charlie “Turk” Gierke
    Hudson Wisconsin

If money is an issue just take off any 2000 sized reel from your openwater rods, a reelyou use for openwater Lindy riggging and tape it on the rod with electrical tape. When I ice fish for white tips on the river this is what I do. I also use bait casters when I am using heavy jigging raps. Works just fine.

kroger3
    blaine mn

Quote:

If money is an issue just take off any 2000 sized reel from your openwater rods, a reelyou use for openwater Lindy riggging and tape it on the rod with electrical tape. When I ice fish for white tips on the river this is what I do. I also use bait casters when I am using heavy jigging raps. Works just fine.

X2!
    all my ice reels are from my open water setups other then the fly reels

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.