Converting to StrikeMaster

• nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Thinking of jumping to the StrikeMaster auger and selling my 5yr old Jiffy 10″ Model 30. Main reason is wanting to get to an 8″ hole, the 10″ is just too much water. I looked for new 8″ auger attachments for the jiffy and they want $170. Thinking I could almost get myself to a new auger with that money plus what I could sell the old one for.

Main reason for wanting to go with the strikemaster is the weight, getting into my middle 30’s and I am sure the 40’s aren’t going to get better. Anyone have a comparison of weights for the different models? What is the best model StrikeMaster to get, I don’t want to do this over again.

I know I can count on the IDO’ers to come through with some good feedback. Thanks in advance guys!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Nic I have the Strikelite with the composite auger. It’s a little slower than say the Solo, but than so am I.

Since I had an 8 in 30 at one time, you will be happy with any of the Strikemaster line. By at least 10 pounds and from my experience 10 pulls.

Besides not having to mix the oil, the Strikelite is VERY quiet and if you fish inside a house frequently, very little smoke.
    8 in metal auger @ 23 pounds

Now if your the hole punching…run around type of ice person…you know, you aren’t happy with out 20 holes in your fishing area, the Solo has the advantage there with very little extra weight over the Strikelite. (and unbelievably lighter than the 30.

8 inch hole @ 25 pounds

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

I usually cut through a tank or two of gas in an outing. Most people tease me that I might actually catch a fish if I stopped drilling holes… Thanks for the input Brian!

woody_036
    Spooner, Wi

I would tell you to get the Strikemaster Lazer Mag, 2.5hp. I have a friend that just bought one and its the best running, fastest cutting auger i’ve ever seen. I owned a Jiffy and now a 3 year old strikemaster with the 2hp Tecumseh engine. The new solo engines are alot better and have much more torque. I had a 3hp jiffy with a 9″ auger and after punching a bunch of holes my body was feeling pain. Not anymore. Good luck on your purchase.

mduffy1969

I’d second the accolades for the solo engine. I’ve owned my Strikemaster Lazer Mag Express for just two weeks but I still can’t get over the power and efficiency of the new solo motor. A buddy of mine has the same auger but with the Tecumseh motor and they just don’t perform the same. If you punch alot of holes, Nic, the L-Mag will be an absolute pleasure for you.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

If your not re-opening a lot of holes go with the LAzer Mag 2.5 hp 8″ it is a beast and cuts ice like butter. Starts on the second or third pull every time. Just be careful if it fires just the least bit, usually first pull, take the choke off or you can flood it. It starts that easy!!!

If you are in a permanent shack a lot and re-opening old holes I would go with the Magnum 2 HP, it has the 8.25 chipper blade.

S good place to buy with no tax and free shipping is Glen’s Outdoors. http://www.glensoutdoors.com/

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Like everyone else I say go with the Lazer Mag with a 2.5 HP Solo motor. With a 7″ blade it is only 25 LBS. A 8″ blade is 1 Lb. more. I’m going with the 7″ blade on my next one for sure. Way less ice to cut and much less work on the motor. I have not ever seen a fish that will not fit thru a 7″ hole. Then again I’m not the best fisherman!!!

score92
    WBL, MN

I have a Lazer mag express (8 inch cut, two blade), have had it since 1997. I have never had any problems other than the cord breaking last year (wear and tear). These engines are unstoppable. Also, if you own a Strikemaster, any model, and it seems like the blades are dull or it has trouble cutting, I would highly recommend getting the pitch adjusted. The authorized dealers consistently state that if you have to put weight on your auger, you can damage the pitch, even if it’s 1/8th inch off. I had it fixed two years ago and couldn’t believe the difference. All these years I thoguht it was the blades. Man they are good augers with great customer service, and local. Good luck.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Score… what is involved with adjusting the pitch? I have a ten inch older Strikemaster… and it is a great auger, but I think you just touched on my problem.

round1

If interested in the 2.5hp Lazer Mag – D Rock Center (Strikemaster authorized repair center) has new 2.5 hp power heads for 275.00 and you can get a “used” 8″ auger for 95.00 – it will save you some off of the normal retail price of 450.00 – great service center

175 Old Highway 8 Southwest
    New Brighton, MN 55112

shaley
    Milford IA

Quote:

I usually cut through a tank or two of gas in an outing. Most people tease me that I might actually catch a fish if I stopped drilling holes… Thanks for the input Brian!

If your punching that many holes an outing look at a Nils, will get your holes drilled faster and still time to fish and it only weight 20 pounds. Will save you money on gas to

sandmannd

Quote:

If interested in the 2.5hp Lazer Mag – D Rock Center (Strikemaster authorized repair center) has new 2.5 hp power heads for 275.00 and you can get a “used” 8″ auger for 95.00 – it will save you some off of the normal retail price of 450.00 – great service center

175 Old Highway 8 Southwest
    New Brighton, MN 55112

+1 – That’s where I got mine three years ago.

g-no
    Minnesota

Hey Nic,

I did the same thing your thinking of doing. This fall I went from a 10″ Eskimo Barricuda Plus to Strikemaster Solo Lazer Pro 8″. 8″ auger they say is 26 lbs, 10″ is 29lbs. It feels like it’s 15lbs lighter than the one I had, a night and day difference. The solo engine runs like a dream, and really cuts through the ice fast. Highly recommended. I also wouldn’t be afraid to go to the Solo Lazer Mag either. It’s .5 horses smaller, but I borrowed one from a buddy last year for a Rainy Lake trip and I haven’t seen any difference in the two engines yet. Have fun with your new purchase!

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Going to get the lazer mag, put the jiffy for sale on craigslist this am, will advertise on here once I get a few pictures taken.

Now the question, should I get the 7″ or the 8″? Most of the time I am fishing gills or walleyes jigging with a flasher float in the hole. Smaller seems better, but is 7″ too small?

Thanks guys for all of your help.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Now the question, should I get the 7″ or the 8″? Most of the time I am fishing gills or walleyes jigging with a flasher float in the hole. Smaller seems better, but is 7″ too small?

Thanks guys for all of your help.

I’ve never seen a walleye caught on ice that wouldn’t fit through a 7″ hole. And the difference that reduction in 1″ makes in the time and effort spent cutting holes is very noticeable. And I think you save a little over 1# due to the lighter auger bit. I know several guys, Matt Grow jumps to mind, that don’t fish through anything else.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Considering how much you drill, go with the 7. There are very few fish in Mn/Wi that won’t fit up a 7 inch hole.

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

I REALLY like the 7″ bit. I don’t know what it is, but I feel like I could cut 1000 holes a day with the 7″ Solo.
    I know the differences are minimal in comparing an 8″ but I definately notice it. I think it may be less torque at the user simply because of the smaller diameter (moment arm) @ the business end. Now that I think about it and type it, I bet thats exactly what I notice

I once borrowed my auger to Ol’ man Clark of Coldspring, and he blew Lake Osakis into a cheese grater like he was 21 again.

matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

I have a 7inch bit and its sweet! I havnt had a problem with getting fish up the holes at all. My buddy pulled a 30 inch northern up the whole yesterday no problem. If you like drilling holes like I do go with the 7. In a race through 2 feet of ice last year I almost beat my buddies recently tuned up 8 inch 3 hp auger with my 2.5 solo.

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Ordered the lazer mag 7″ tonight from throne bros. Late present from Santa. Thinking of getting an extension, what size should I get?

super excited!

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Cut 51 holes today with the old model 30 10″ beast. Came home watched the Packers win, and then passed her on to a new owner, no more jiffy, hope I don’t regret. Dang I’m tired…

New strikemaster will be delivered this week!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.