Tip Down in Action

• Jerry Hochhausen
    Madison, Wisconsin

Nice looking meal Ice. I wish we could be on the ice here in Madison but it’s just not ready yet.

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

So what’s your batter recipe? That looks really good.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Quote:

So what’s your batter recipe? That looks really good.

Just good old Zatarains you can get a giant jug of it at most Sam’s Clubs for $6.00 It’s just a nice dry batter, only use enough for about 8 pieces in a ziplock and then put in fresh or it will clump and get too thick. Best stuff I have ever used. If you like a wet batter try Chuck Wagon at most IGA or other grocery stores, it’s a nice light wet batter.

http://www.cajungrocer.com/zatarains-wonderful-fishfri-p-897.html?cvsfa=1338&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=383937

Brent Yeakey
    Bloomer, WI

How are you rigging your tip downs, Basically are you using a jig or are you using a small treble and split shot?

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Quote:

How are you rigging your tip downs, Basically are you using a jig or are you using a small treble and split shot?

#14 Treble split shot and Crappie minnow.

jasono00
    cities

never used a tip down they look interesting so how well do they work?

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Quote:

never used a tip down they look interesting so how well do they work?

Best thing for finicky Crappies and Perch, check the video section here. We have been using them over 10 years now and I will not go out without them. Work great at night, later in the year we will not go out until after midnight and fish until just after daylight. Get the BIG ones around 2:00 or 3:00 AM!

http://www.idofishing.com/videos/viewvid.php/Number/946591/finesse-techniques-for-heavily-pressured-crappies

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Built up some more Tip Downs for a few of the guys on here hope you like them TG002

walleyehunter
    Melrose, WI

Quote:

Built up some more Tip Downs for a few of the guys on here hope you like them TG002

Very nice looking. Are those oak??? You’ll have the fanciest tip-downs on the ice!

jld
    Holmen

I received one of these for Christmas and have not tried it out yet. I was a little skeptical at first but people seem to swear by them. Any special secrets other than the tackle I need to know?

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Quote:

Quote:

Very nice looking. Are those oak??? You’ll have the fanciest tip-downs on the ice!

Solid oak except for the thin 2″ X 4″ brace pieces. We have been making them for years like this, I have some that are 6 or 7 years olod and look almost like new.

No special trick, small #14 treble hooks and a Crappie minnow and your all set. Keep the holes clean and every time you clean the hole raise or lower the minnow a foot or so real slow. This will quite often trigger a strike.

If anyone wants instructions and a parts list to build These Tip Downs feel free to email me at [email protected], or I will build some for you at a good price.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.