Thorne Bros Rods…

• luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Ok, in the past couple of years, we have seen some very nice “technological advancements” in the rods. (Thanks Lonny! And all the other brains behind the thorne line) Like the powernoodle, and most recently the quiverstick.

As you can tell from the classifieds, I am moving the majority of my older ice fishing combos to new set ups. Going away from spinning reels with twist, and going all fly reels.

I also have a bunch of walleye and perch outside rods. That I am contemplating an upgrade. For those of you that that run thorne ice rods…would you consider upgrading the majority of your rods to include the guides that are used on the quiverstick? Those guides are the REC RECOIL® guides…

I know that they make the quiverstick extremely light and sensitive. So help me decide please…build all new rods with the rec recoil guides or keep the old rods that have been so trustworthy!

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

The 3 rods that Lonnie is building for me now all have outside REC recoil guides. I’m having the same problem as you Luke the more time goes by that I’m not on the ice the lighter my wallet gets I say send Lonnie some more work

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

My already ordered 32 inch Power Noodle will have the recoil guides and is supposed to be ready for me when I get to the Thorne booth on Friday.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

My power noodle that I fished with last year has them, and I love it! I am looking more at upgrading all perch/walleye outside rods…

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I think you should donate all you old outdated Thorne rods to me and purchase all new ones. If you need my address to send those OLD rods to let me know.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I say keep the old ones and then get new ones too. Someone who fishes as much as you, surely spends enough time in a shack with the heat going. You can get the new white blanks as well, so you can easily tell the inside and outside rods apart.

I had recoil guides put on my power noodle last year, and I put them on the 2 rods I ordered last week. They are light and very rarely ice up. Silver looks cool too!

I know I’m going against the grain, but I prefer the shorter rods. With the light action rods I look at the tip to show me the bite, so I like to keep the rod tucked in close to my body and out of the wind. I also like the shorter rod, so I can be closer to the hole to easily remove my transducer and land the fish.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

I have been using thorne bros rods for the past 9 seasons this will be season 10, I have never had 1 rod that I didn’t like, they just keep raising the bar year in and year out and I have to have that new design. So I guess if you can financially afford to upgrade your aresenal each year with new product…..do it….if your comfortable with what you have only upgrade some not all. Each ice fisherman is different in style, technique, and equipment chosen to put the down on the fish they are targeting. I say do what you can, if you don’t like something that was made I am sure IDO classified will help you out. Different strokes different folks.

bassrat13
    north central iowa

the one question i have with the recoil guides isn’t so much with the quality as the price….the cost for the recoils if you were to buy them is under $10…so why is this a $20+ upgrade…just my 2 cents… profit is good…this however on top of a rod with more than a 400 point markup??? that said, thorne ARE great rods, and i will admit i have a few.

arklite881south

I can’t speak to pricing, but I will say this is going to be my first season with a “Thorne Bros” rod selection. Probably quite small line up in comparison to some of you guys, but I’m very eager to try these sticks out. Seems almost like an unfair advantage from what I hear.

Mr. Pike 81
    NW Iowa

Just recieved my 32″ outside walleye sweetheart. Incredibly light and sensitive. Now I have to figure out which reel to put on it. Is a 500 size ultralight too small? All my other reels feel too big and bulky on it.

ekruger01

Quote:

the one question i have with the recoil guides isn’t so much with the quality as the price….the cost for the recoils if you were to buy them is under $10…so why is this a $20+ upgrade…just my 2 cents… profit is good…this however on top of a rod with more than a 400 point markup??? that said, thorne ARE great rods, and i will admit i have a few.

can you tell me where your getting a full set of recoils for 10 bucks? any catalog i look at its at least 5 a piece and your talking 5 guides? the reason for the 20 price mark up on the quiverstick was the tip top was 12 bucks by itself! lol

MattJohnson
    Blaine, MN

Tom, Chris and Grant… I will have rods for you on Friday at the Ice Show Yes… they are ready and looking for homes!

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Yeah, its not that I don’t like them, I love everyone, and even gave them a hug and kiss as they went to their new owners…

I just am always wondering if I missing moving up to the “next step” in regards to ice fishing products.

Think of where flashers will be in 20 years…

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

I had a 1000/stradic on mine, it balanced out well, you could also go with a sahara, or symetre reel…in the 500 size, they should all work!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.