Ice fishing boots…

• luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

In my many (lol) quests to find the ultimate ice fishing gear….I want to add another to the list…

Boots!

I have tried the baffin, cableas inferno, mukluks…and just about every other brand know to man. I love the baffins for comfort…although they were not waterproof at all (somebody posted a pair that was, and I am really interested in hearing more reviews on these.) The mukluks have been great, very comfortable, but I am still left wanting more out of an ice fishing boot…The mickey mouse boots…too clunky for my taste…

What do you have and recommend?

wismitty
    Janesville wisconsin

i like my predater extremes from cabelas very much

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

I was on your quest one time too. I gave up trying the latest wonder and have been using Gortex and insulated Red Wing Irish Setters. I like that they are lightweight by comparison to any pack type boot. They are dry. I can fit ice cleats on them very easily. I just feel more mobile without anchors on my feet. I do not fish much in -25 weather though, so I have not tested their warmth in such conditions.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Too bad Snosuit dont make boots.

I just got my Cabela’s Infernos in the mail today, I hope they are as warm as my Rocky Blizzard Stalkers were

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

I just got my Cabela’s Infernos in the mail today, I hope they are as warm as my Rocky Blizzard Stalkers were

Likewise. Although not needed yet since my Blizzard Stalkers still have life in them, others’ reviews, the sale price, free shipping and extra 800 grams of thinsulate made me bite.

Luke, how did you like the infernos or were they the mickey-mouse boots you were referring to?

col._klink
    St Paul

I gave up trying the latest wonder and have been using Gortex and insulated Red Wing Irish Setters. I like that they are lightweight by comparison to any pack type boot. They are dry.

I work outside all winter long no matter what the weather is doing. I wear these boots faithly year round. In fact I get a new pair every year. Stockmens in Spring Valley WI has the best deal around on Red Wings. Crappy part is they are made in Ching Chong town now

Hotrod2

I own two pairs of Baffin boots…Titan and Trapper. Both are all rubber boots with removable linners.

The Trapper is rated to -75. The Titan is rated for -148. Both boots are priced at under $100 and are great for when we have water and slush on the ice.

I purchased mine from winterfootwear.com

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Rocky SnowStalker Extremes are very warm but a little on the clunky side. Not heavy just a little large is all. They can be found for less than $100 if you look around.

I put a bunch of sheet metal screws in the bottom of mine for traction.

http://www.outdoorsporting.com/family/11803/display.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mens-Rocky-12-SnowStalker-Extreme-Boots-13M-1200gm-NEW-/320623348812?pt=US_Men_s_Athletic_Footwear&hash=item4aa6a40c4c

For the small foot

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rocky-12-Snowstalker-Extreme-Size8-7636-/180559279519?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item2a0a2bf59f

love2fish
    Shoreview, Grand Rapids, MN

Luke- I didn’t know anyone made boots big enough for you

John

nick858
    Eldora, Iowa

I know exactly what you are saying about the Mickeys. But until I find something that keeps my feet as warm and dry as they do, Im not switching. They are very clunky though!

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Matterhorns. Won’t be nearly as warm as other boots, but it’s 100% waterproof on me for over 15 years on occassions of several hours of being in water or icy slush conditions. I just kind of don’t want to get another pair of a little higher insulation since it comes with quite a bit of a price tag.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Now Luke, I think you should look beyond the clunkiness of the Mickey Mouse boot. YOU SEE clunkiness, in reality, it’s warmth. Embrace it The only drawback to Mickey boots is long walks through deep snow, being they are heavy, but I swear to God, you could soak your feet in liquid nitrogen, and your toes still wouldn’t get nippy if you had Mickey boots on. Even in the coldest weather, it feels like I have my feet in a toasty pair of slippers next to a fire. I would suggest giving them one season, being you can pick them up cheap at an army surplus store, and see for yourself! By the way, this cold weather should be getting us pretty close to ice!!

jetro
    Mayer, MN

To have any kind of prayer of working the boots have to have an insulated soles. It’s the number one requirement for ice fishing boots. I currently have 16 years on a pair of Lacrosse Icemans, the soles are almost completely smooth from wear, but I always wear ice cleats. They may not be the lightest boots, but not too bad. I have to get a new pair sometime and have been looking at replacements. I will say I do have pretty good circulation in my feet.

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

I own two pairs of Baffin boots…Titan and Trapper. Both are all rubber boots with removable linners.

The Trapper is rated to -75. The Titan is rated for -148. Both boots are priced at under $100 and are great for when we have water and slush on the ice.

I purchased mine from winterfootwear.com

Going to have to look more into the Baffins, right now i’m leaning toward a muck boot.

bigpike

One more thing, I think you will find it tough to sacrafice wieght for warmth. Good boots with good insulation will wieght more. Kinda like the Snosuit, it may wieght a little more than the guy wearing whatever next to me but I can be in the coldest of the cold in my snosuit and I will stay warm. Its certainly worth that extra wieght to me!

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Pike,

You out drinking last night? I put a bunch of w holes in my icemen and they still don’t leek.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

To have any kind of prayer of working the boots have to have an insulated soles. It’s the number one requirement for ice fishing boots. I currently have 16 years on a pair of Lacrosse Icemans, the soles are almost completely smooth from wear, but I always wear ice cleats. They may not be the lightest boots, but not too bad. I have to get a new pair sometime and have been looking at replacements. I will say I do have pretty good circulation in my feet.

Same here. My pac boots last so long I dont remember the last time I even contemplated new ice fishing boots. Every few years I get a new set of felts.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

There are so many variations to GoreTex that you cannot put the cons to GoreTex against the pros to it. 15 years and no leak to a Matterhorn boots is proof to the pros for it. If your boot company don’t properly tap and seal any seams, your boot will leak there first and foremost. If you buy a cheap Goretex boot, it’s the same as buying a cheap waterproof boot.

bucketmouth1
    Lancaster, WI

I really like my cabelas inferno 2000’s

arklite881south

I’ve got the “Big and Bulky” Cabelas Pack Boots. Beyond that they are 2 sizes bigger than my normal boot size. I triple up on insulated socks. I would like them to come in a “Big foot” print to scare tourists when they see the tracks. I like the big boots, because with that extra 3 inches I’m off the ice I’m darn near 6’0 running with the big dogs!! Makes me feel tough.

Seriously they are the warmest boots I’ve put on. I’d likely lose the 100yd dash with them, but there is no substitute for warm feet in my opinion. Last year we fished through a 3 week period with average lows touching -30 to -42 degrees, and highs scared of any thought of coming into contact with even -15!!! Warm boots PRICELESS!! Heck I still have all my toes, and that is a rare accomplishment for a winter guide up here!!

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

Now Luke, I think you should look beyond the clunkiness of the Mickey Mouse boot. YOU SEE clunkiness, in reality, it’s warmth. Embrace it The only drawback to Mickey boots is long walks through deep snow, being they are heavy, but I swear to God, you could soak your feet in liquid nitrogen, and your toes still wouldn’t get nippy if you had Mickey boots on. Even in the coldest weather, it feels like I have my feet in a toasty pair of slippers next to a fire. I would suggest giving them one season, being you can pick them up cheap at an army surplus store, and see for yourself! By the way, this cold weather should be getting us pretty close to ice!!

Poetic….but ,IMHO, true…..I love mine

Big Lund 20
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Quote:

I’ve got the “Big and Bulky” Cabelas Pack Boots. Beyond that they are 2 sizes bigger than my normal boot size. I triple up on insulated socks. I would like them to come in a “Big foot” print to scare tourists when they see the tracks. I like the big boots, because with that extra 3 inches I’m off the ice I’m darn near 6’0 running with the big dogs!! Makes me feel tough.

Seriously they are the warmest boots I’ve put on. I’d likely lose the 100yd dash with them, but there is no substitute for warm feet in my opinion. Last year we fished through a 3 week period with average lows touching -30 to -42 degrees, and highs scared of any thought of coming into contact with even -15!!! Warm boots PRICELESS!! Heck I still have all my toes, and that is a rare accomplishment for a winter guide up here!!

Chris are you talking about the Trans-Alaska boots? I’ve been looking pretty hard at these and this might be the year.

arklite881south

Hi Dave,

I had stopped into Cabelas last year before the season, and said I want the warmest boots you have in stock. The retail guy dropped these boots down almost taking one of my toes off. “Here you go” “I’ll take them”. Great decision so far! I looked hard to find a name to reference on them, but apparently they don’t even need one!! Really mine seem a bit more bulky probably because I purchased them 2 sizes larger than I wear. I simply hate cold feet, and being cold drops the fun meter quite rapidly!!

Big Lund 20
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Thanks Chris! Those are the ones. Bye bye Cabelas’s points!

arklite881south

I think you’ll really like them Dave. Up here we simply have no choice but to run with the warmest gear made. I can honestly say that they are too warm for the March/April ice conditions. When that arctic blast hits you in January/February you too will scoff at that brisk air!!

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

because with that extra 3 inches I’m off the ice I’m darn near 6’0 running with the big dogs!! Makes me feel tough.

Chris being tall is OVERRATED short guys like you and me just need to catch big fish to be tough.

arklite881south

Quote:

because with that extra 3 inches I’m off the ice I’m darn near 6’0 running with the big dogs!! Makes me feel tough.

Chris being tall is OVERRATED short guys like you and me just need to catch big fish to be tough.

LOL!! I’m “pickin up what your puttin” down Tim!! Plus so much closer to the ice when we need to drop down on them!! YEAH!! Tough guys catching big fish!! I like it!

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

I ordered a pair of baffins today…I sure hope these work, as the boot locker is getting as big as my upright freezer…

baffins

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.