For those of you using fly reels…

• luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

I currently have the cortland model that thorne sells paired up with a quiverstick. I am considering switching all of those out to these…thoughts opinions? I don’t know much about fly reels, or how they work, but after the past two years, I am completely sold on the fly reel concept for eliminating twist…

If this reel looks good, I am switching out my entire thorne rod arsenal to these reels…no more spinning reels at all for this ice head… shimano moocher gt

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I couldn’t find any info on the gear ratio. It says they’re geared… but I couldn’t find a spec. If a guy could pick up even a 2:1 or 3:1 advantage allowing faster pickup of line… you’d have the ultimate ice reel.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Found this on the Shimano site:

“Both the Moocher GT Plus 2000GTPA and 4000GTPA will retrieve 14-inches of line per crank.”

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

17.2 oz is really heavy for a fly reel.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Beat me by a nose.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

17.2 oz is really heavy for a fly reel.

Yup, just saw that. The thing would feel like a brick taped to a quiverstick.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

dang!! It weighs in at 17.2 ounces, the cortland one that most of us have from thorne, weighs in at 5-7 ounces…thats too big of a weight difference isn’t it?

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

lol…all replying at the same time. So the quest for the ultimate ice reel continues…

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

dang!! It weighs in at 17.2 ounces, the cortland one that most of us have from thorne, weighs in at 5-7 ounces…thats too big of a weight difference isn’t it?

Yup, it would be a tough pairing.

What we need to find is a geared fly reel that allows an angler to pick up line fast that comes in in that 7 oz range. As you said… bye-bye spinning reels for ice apps.

herb
    6ft under

Thinking out loud here, but why not try the old Schooley ice reel? Weighs nothing and line pick up is all in how fast you can turn a crank.Even has it’s own spring loaded drag.
    Cheap too.
    Sometimes I just amaze me.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

You Are Amazing Herb !!!

lets see,,,, where should I start

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

I want something that is dependable and built with quality. I broken more schooley rods and reels, that I could have paid for a couple of these by now.

James what do you think about this one…
    link

It says it is only 1:1 ratio, but I can’t find any other specs from the manufacturer site to see if the ratio is correct.

herb
    6ft under

Dave, have your office call my office, we’ll talk
    After graduating from wrapping the line on 2 bent nails in the broomstick handle with a broken rod section, onto the Schooley rods and reels, never broke a one in over 20 years of use. Lost a few stop pegs, but square toothpicks worked just fine.
    Somebody needs to come up with a mini mini handline reel with push button stop and go.

hawkeye27

How does this one look

Okuma Okuma Okuma Cascade 7/9 Fishing
    Close[x]
    Okuma Fishing
    Okuma Cascade 7/9 Fishing Fly Reel, CS-7/9, 1RB, 6 oz, WF-7
    Product ID: 134748
    UPC: 739998125326
    MFG ID: CS7
    Write A Review
    Okuma Fishing okuma cascade 7/9 fishing fly reel, is in stock
    $26.77
    Okuma Fishing

The Okuma® Cascade 7/9 Fishing Fly Reel has many features that sets it one cut above the rest. With the adjustable multi-disk drag system, and the one direction drag roller bearing, you are bound to be satisfied with the Okuma® Cascade 7/9 Fishing Fly Reel. Also, the Okuma® Cascade 7/9 Fishing Fly Reel hand retrieval can be conveniently changed from left to right. But that’s not it, the Okuma® Cascade 7/9 Fishing Fly Reel also comes with a precision machined brass bushing drive system and stainless steel spool shaft. So go ahead and reel one in with the Okuma® Cascade 7/9 Fishing Fly Reel.
    Specifications

* Okuma® Cascade 7/9 Fishing Fly Reel
    * Manufacturer Number: CS-7/9
    * Bearings: 1
    * Fly Line Capacity:
    o 135 Yards/ 20 Pounds
    * Weight Forward: 7
    * Line Retrieve: 10 Inches
    * Line Weight: 7,8,9
    * Weight: 6.0 Ounce
    * Features:
    o Fully Adjustable Multi-Disk Drag System
    o Roller Bearing Allows The Drag To Engage In One Direction Only
    o Precision Machined Brass Bushing Drive System
    o Precision Machined Stainless Steel Spool Shaft
    o Super Lightweight Graphite Frame Construction
    o Corrosion Resistant Super Large Arbor Spool Design
    o Easy To Change Left To Right Hand Retrieval Conversion

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Quote:

How does this one look

Okuma Okuma Okuma Cascade 7/9 Fishing
    Close[x]
    Okuma Fishing
    Okuma Cascade 7/9 Fishing Fly Reel, CS-7/9, 1RB, 6 oz, WF-7
    Product ID: 134748
    UPC: 739998125326
    MFG ID: CS7
    Write A Review
    Okuma Fishing okuma cascade 7/9 fishing fly reel, is in stock
    $26.77
    Okuma Fishing

The Okuma® Cascade 7/9 Fishing Fly Reel has many features that sets it one cut above the rest. With the adjustable multi-disk drag system, and the one direction drag roller bearing, you are bound to be satisfied with the Okuma® Cascade 7/9 Fishing Fly Reel. Also, the Okuma® Cascade 7/9 Fishing Fly Reel hand retrieval can be conveniently changed from left to right. But that’s not it, the Okuma® Cascade 7/9 Fishing Fly Reel also comes with a precision machined brass bushing drive system and stainless steel spool shaft. So go ahead and reel one in with the Okuma® Cascade 7/9 Fishing Fly Reel.
    Specifications

* Okuma® Cascade 7/9 Fishing Fly Reel
    * Manufacturer Number: CS-7/9
    * Bearings: 1
    * Fly Line Capacity:
    o 135 Yards/ 20 Pounds
    * Weight Forward: 7
    * Line Retrieve: 10 Inches
    * Line Weight: 7,8,9
    * Weight: 6.0 Ounce
    * Features:
    o Fully Adjustable Multi-Disk Drag System
    o Roller Bearing Allows The Drag To Engage In One Direction Only
    o Precision Machined Brass Bushing Drive System
    o Precision Machined Stainless Steel Spool Shaft
    o Super Lightweight Graphite Frame Construction
    o Corrosion Resistant Super Large Arbor Spool Design
    o Easy To Change Left To Right Hand Retrieval Conversion

I’m guessing that the ratio on that reel is also one to one… looking for something that is a higher ratio…

red89
    Hudson

So what is the issue with the cortland ones that makes you want to switch?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I want something that is dependable and built with quality. I broken more schooley rods and reels, that I could have paid for a couple of these by now.

James what do you think about this one…
    link

It says it is only 1:1 ratio, but I can’t find any other specs from the manufacturer site to see if the ratio is correct.

I did see that it is listed as 1:1. No weight is given. I think you’re definitely on the right track here. IF you can find a lightweight version with a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio you’ll have me sold on trying one.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Nothing at all… just looking for a higher gear ratio for speed factor..

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

As Luke said, there’s nothing wrong with the Cortlands. They work great. He’s looking for everything the Cortland is (smooth, no line twist, great drag, etc.) plus the addition of a higher speed line retrieve. My guess is such a thing isn’t going to be easy to find but ice crazy guys like Luke will put some time in trying to track it down.

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

I am by no means a reel expert but with a little general knowledge in design. I would assume that when you incorporate a gear ratio into the design of a reel you would add the weight of the gears and associated bearings. And then the frame of the reel would have to not only be larger to accommodate this but also be beefy enough to handle the stress. Having a 1:1 ratio on a fly reel makes it possible to catch larger fish with a lighter reel. Even when you go to a larger fly reel the weight increases, then with a larger reel you need to add more backing. Ounces are ounces and they all add up to more weight. Something like Pfluegers idea with having the larger arbor may be the ticket to give you more line per revolution rather than looking for a reel with a gear ratio to keep the weight off.

Matt Grow where are you tonight? IDO needs an engineer…

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

Quote:

As Luke said, there’s nothing wrong with the Cortlands. They work great. He’s looking for everything the Cortland is (smooth, no line twist, great drag, etc.) plus the addition of a higher speed line retrieve. My guess is such a thing isn’t going to be easy to find but ice crazy guys like Luke will put some time in trying to track it down.

Do a search for “multiplier” fly reels. As the term implies, you’re multiplying the retrieve by a few factors per each turn of the reel handle. I’ve yet to dig into this with both paws, but these were the rage many years ago, yet are still in favor with lots of the salmon and a few steelie guys where you need to pick up gobs of loose line in a hurry. I’m guessing it’ll be easy to find a heavy one with a good drag……a light one with a poor drag…..but difficult to find that sweet spot we’re all looking for.

Joel

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

we are getting closer…

3:1 9.5 ounce

Luke wins! Again! Only by a minute this time.

Joel

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

we are getting closer…

Yup, definitely closing in.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I am by no means a reel expert but with a little general knowledge in design. I would assume that when you incorporate a gear ratio into the design of a reel you would add the weight of the gears and associated bearings. And then the frame of the reel would have to not only be larger to accommodate this but also be beefy enough to handle the stress. Having a 1:1 ratio on a fly reel makes it possible to catch larger fish with a lighter reel. Even when you go to a larger fly reel the weight increases, then with a larger reel you need to add more backing. Ounces are ounces and they all add up to more weight. Something like Pfluegers idea with having the larger arbor may be the ticket to give you more line per revolution rather than looking for a reel with a gear ratio to keep the weight off.

No doubt Luke is trying to “have his cake…” but that’s part of the fun in this type of search. He’s got an idea and some time to burn.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

This may be really simple but did you guys see this one.

Crappie Reel.

Seems way to simple to be any quality but for a few bucks may be worth taking a look at.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I have been using a older version of this for years. The one I have is a Mardo and just cant find them any more. Any of the newer ones I have tried just dont compare to the Mardo. The line gets tangled into the reel and the gears start slipping and grinding. I think it has a lot of the benefits you guys are finding in the fly reel except one. The spool is still small on these and there is a fair amount of line coiling.

Mini Reel

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Quote:

Quote:

we are getting closer…

Yup, definitely closing in.

Talking with a co-worker who lives and dies fly fishing also reccommended the Martin Multipler, this is really the only fly reel that is “geared”, so it allows you to turn the arbor/spool more vs a 1:1 ratio of other standard fly reels. For less than 60 bucks and for less than 10oz I think this reel might be worth testing.

I am no engineer but my math tells me that if you take Pie (3.14) times spool diameter, you should get the retrieve distance, right.

I like the thought of fighting fat walleyes on a fly reel.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

I would never touch a Bucks mini reel ever again. Wasted my $15 and time on that. Couldn’t even use it for a child’s toy either.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.