MarCum with Minn Kota

• Jerry Hochhausen
    Madison, Wisconsin

Does anyone know if you can use your MarCum LX5 with a MinnKota Trolling motor that has Universal SonarII? I called Minn Kota and the tech support person I talked to hadn’t even heard of MarCum.

hawkeye27

jason do you troll with the transducer in the water??? If so do you add any extra weight to it?

mikehd
    Dousman, WI

I purchased an external transducer that is mounted on the bottom of my Minn Kota and that works great. Only problem is the cable leading up along the shaft of the trolling motor, kind of a hassle at times but the LX-5 works great. don’t know anyone who has tried the universal one.

Jerry Hochhausen
    Madison, Wisconsin

Quote:

I purchased an external transducer that is mounted on the bottom of my Minn Kota and that works great. Only problem is the cable leading up along the shaft of the trolling motor, kind of a hassle at times but the LX-5 works great. don’t know anyone who has tried the universal one.

That’s just it I bought a trolling motor that has a “universal” transducer built in so that you shouldn’t have to strap another one to the bottom of the motor and run the cable up the shaft. It’s compatible with Vexillar but not MarCum (meaning they make cables that will connect a Vexillar and many other brands of sonars).

jhalfen

Oddly enough, the MinnKota US2 transducer is also incompatible with the Humminbird ICE flashers, and MK and HB are under the same roof. However, the US2 IS compatible with a wide range of sonar units from a variety of manufacturers, covering the vast majority of the market.

The MarCum puck is your best option.

jhalfen

No. I do almost all of my trolling from the transom, using the kicker to provide thrust. My Humminbird 1197 provides all the sonar information I could ever need in that setting.

My bow flasher use is mostly limited to vertical jigging applications.

Jerry Hochhausen
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks Jason, I appreciate your replies about this. I’ll be buying the high speed transducer that MarCum makes. I was just hoping that someone might know of a way to use my flasher with the Minn Kota transducer.
    By the way, I have watched your video seminar on the side imaging and Minn Kota I-pilot (I have both) and learned a few things I think will help me. Thanks.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

The high speed transducer works great. You will even be able to watch your jig below the high speed transducer, works great when vertical for eyes and crappies.

The high speed transducer is mounted to the boat but my LX-5 is still in the soft pack and I use the jell battery. Just plug in the transducer and I’m good to go!!!

Jerry Hochhausen
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks Bret, That sounds good. You’re the only one I know of who has used the high speed transducer.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

If you have any questions just shoot me a pm and I’ll do my best to answer them. You will like the high speed transducer

Make sure to read the directions so you place the tranducer on the correct side of the motor. This will keep the transducer from picking up prop wash.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.