tounaments

• zoomer
    Twin Cities

I have never been a participant in an Ice Fishing Tournament and am thinking of entering one this winter. Do they generally go by species, largest crappie, largest northern etc or is it the biggest fish? What type of tactics do you suggest? tip ups, rod and reel? Any suggestions would be great.
    thanks
    Zoomer

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Most events are place by weight only. Tie weight goes to the earliest fish entered. Generally the best strategy is to get a fish on the board early as possible (Like 2-3 ounce perch or sunny) then hope you stick a pike of other big fish later in the event. Remember, there might be 200 fish entered that weigh 2-3 ounces, but the first one entered stays on the board.

Then there are fish by species only like perch or pout events on Mille Lacs or Leech. Of course, these are big fish win events. If you think you iced a winning fish, get it to the weigh station fast and always better alive!

-J.

zoomer
    Twin Cities

thanks John. What’s the best way to get it to the station? Bag, bucket etc?

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

If the tournament is in a structured area, just hold the fish up over your head and run screaming and yelling up to the weigh station. (Usually get cheered on all the way up by the crowd.) If it’s on a big lake like Milly, bucket of water.

The forest lake and brainerd events are structured areas. You need to fish out of the hoes they drill. You really need to get lucky to win anything. I like the Mille Lacs perch/pout events. Your entry gets you into the running for a lot of door prizes.

Good Luck.

-J.

loogie
    Forest Lake, MN

Quote:

If the tournament is in a structured area, just hold the fish up over your head and run screaming and yelling up to the weigh station. (Usually get cheered on all the way up by the crowd.)

I think that’s the only way to get your fish to the weigh in station.

One of our sponsors, Recycled Fish, will be handing out tournament bags at the Forest Lake Fishapalooza contest.

whiskeyandwater
    ????

Quote:

If the tournament is in a structured area, just hold the fish up over your head and run screaming and yelling up to the weigh station. (Usually get cheered on all the way up by the crowd.)

How is it that I know IF I were to ever catch a fish during one of these event’s and take off running with it above my head, I would get smack dab in the middle of the crowd then slip on ice. and suddenly do my imitation of AP losing the football.

Does it still count if the fish beats me to the weigh in station?

ealbrecht

Quote:

One of our sponsors, Recycled Fish, will be handing out tournament bags at the Forest Lake Fishapalooza contest.

Teeg at Recycled Fish has done a great job with helping promote conservation of the fish especially at these big tourneys, its great to see these fish go back alive.

ferny
    Stillwater, MN

Looking forward to Brainerd ice fishing contest this weekend. I caught a walleye in 54 feet of water about 2 minutes into the contest last year. I had a bag with water ready to go and it was off to stand in line with all the other lucky fisherman. I missed prizes by about 3 oz! Bring a bag or look up Teeg from Recycled Fish for one and get some water in it just before the contest starts. One word of advice stick a couple beers in your pocket before you run to the weigh in tent so you don’t go dry standing in line!

I’ll be at Fishapalooza on Forest Lake this year also. I can’t wait for that one also!

Good Luck,

Ferny.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.