Hi-Vis Ice Line

• coot
    North Central Wisconsin

I am looking for some advise for hi-vis line to use for panfish. This season I have been trying the Rapala finesse line. I am a self proclaimed Berkeley line man, but have been pleasantly surprised with the Rapala line for my ice applications. However, my eyes just don’t seem to be what they used to. I would like to try a line that is hi-vis in my world, but low-vis in the fishes world. Do you folks have any recomendations on some brands and styles I should try?

BassBull1
    Prairie du Chien,WI

Hello I’ve been using Stren Gold (2lbs) for my main line and a clear leader made of Cabela’s Seaguar(spelling?)florocarbon line.About one ft. to 18 inches is all that is needed.You will never go back to the old clear mono after using this combo!!! Tie it together using a uni knot.You will get to the point where you don’t even watch the spring bobber anymore ,just watch the line and you will see the line move before the spring bobber ever does.Another neat trick is take the thread used to make bobber stops and put it on your line with the setting just about one foot off the bottom and that will put it just down under the water just so you can watch it and it will just tick ever so little to catch those light bighters in tuff conditions.Have fun Bass Bull

TROUTMAN
    S.E.Minnesota

I’ve used Cortland ice-line for many years now.It is a hi-vis green.Comes in all line strenghths.(I use 2#)Very good stuff.I’ve never experienced line shyness from the pannies or,watched someone using clear line outfish me and I have fished it in some very clear water.

ScottM
    Baldwin, WI

I agree. The cortland is very good hi-vis line for ice fishing. You can see the cortland much better than any other hi-vis line that I’ve seen.

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Coot,I have a good friend who is a Berkley Sales Manager and he loves the Hi-Vis Sensation.I have not used it yet but he swears by it.Good luck.
    Ryan Hale

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

What is everyones thoughts/experiences with high vis line for ice fishing? Can the fish see it in the clearer waters in the winter? Do you use a clear leader when using high vis line? Lots of good info sharing could come from this topic.
    Thanks, Bill

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

For panfish I use the Stren Gold on 2 of my rods. I have not noticed any difference between Gold and the P-line as far as bites. I can detect more bites with the Stren though due to its visibility. I am a line watcher more than spring bobber user so it really helps.

fishinfool
    mn

EITHER THE GOLD, OR BERKLEYS STEEL. EITHER WORK GREAT, I LOVE THE STEEL. EVEN THE PICKY FISH AT FOSTER ARENDS DONT SEE IT OR CARE. FF

Lynch6913
    MN, USA, Hayfield

hey i’m goin up to LOW in aq couple of weeks. what is a good line to use for walley and the ocasoinal pike?? last year i used a 4lb berkley. is this to high/low? and what’s the best kind use? i usually go a little heavier becausae i don’t like loosing all my tackle.

broadwaybob
    Janesville, WI

I see that Cajun has ice line, anyone tried it yet? I figured the leader idea was the way to go. I think that the guy who started this thread may have the same problem I do –that is, it is getting harder to see to tie the knots in 1-2 lb test clear line. You guys over 40 yo may know this problem–reading glasses and all .

Bob

fishinfool
    mn

all I know is the blue line is rotten. I think the fish see it . I could fish side by side with GOLD and BLUE and the GOLD will outfish 10 to 1. Gold if you can see it is great. FF

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I had forgotten about that blue line I agree, it is a terrible ice line. Fish do shy away from it bad, even in stained water.

scottsteil
    Central MN

I do not use high vis line anymore but there are some die hard bluegill guys that swear by it. I always do better on Flourocarbon over high vis so I honestly don’t even give it a try anymore.

Art

Nate Cadwell told me about Maxima fibre glow line a few years back and it is about all I use now. Its the easiest line for me to see. I have used it with a clear leader but have not noticed a big difference. I have tried the Stren gold but the Maxima line is a lot easier for me to see. Myself and the guys I fish with are all in our mid 50s and we all use different colored line. I would try some different colors and see which one works best for you. Good luck.

Kodiak
    Chaska, MN

i switched from the stren gold to some vanish this year, it seems the vanish is getting twisted or looping on me…the stren gold is some nice line…i think i am going to go back to the mono next year.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Quote:

I see that Cajun has ice line, anyone tried it yet? I figured the leader idea was the way to go. I think that the guy who started this thread may have the same problem I do –that is, it is getting harder to see to tie the knots in 1-2 lb test clear line. You guys over 40 yo may know this problem–reading glasses and all .

Bob

The Cajun Red Ice line is a line I recently picked up from HOF and looks promising. [reminds me of Maxima fibre glow line as I like the pink stuff] I haven’t tried it yet but red does diappear quicker than most colors in the water yet is easy to see above water. Anybody tried it yet? Will be interesting to see how it works. The Stren gold is a good line and easy to see but am real currious to see how the red line works.

Thanks, Bill

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I agree with Scott. Unless your fishing “tame” bluegills or extremely dirty water,your better of switching to a high sensitive graphite rod v.s high vis line. When your eyes go bad, you feel for touch will increase.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

A good St. Croix rod will certainly give you a big plus in ”feeling” those bluegills who aren’t jumping on your lure. When they are biting light the sensitivity is great with those rods. My two longer ice fishing rods are St. Croix Custom made from HOF along with a shorter one too. Gotta love those St. Croix rods. [can’t help it Derek, once you talk about graphite rods I just have to talk about St. Croix rods. Think I’m addicted to them.]
    Thanks, Bill

bigpike

I tried the stren 2lb. gold this year and I really think it is great line, I am fishing stained water though not crystal clear. The fish dont seem to mind it at all and it is great for visibility.

Kodiak
    Chaska, MN

i have the same addiction to those st croix’s i think i buy and avid or a legend about once a month during the season for the last 3 years?!?!? i got a pile of em.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

I tried the Stren gold and thought it was great. For pannies you can’t rely on the rod to indicate a bite.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.