Rod Case

• benihana
    Central MN

Has anyone used the Thorne Bros Ice Rod Bag? Any opinions? Also , they are on sale but backordered right now, but has anyone used the Cabellas 6 rod ice fishing case? Any opinions on that, or any pros and cons between the two? thanks

stevenoak

Have not seen T.Bros.bag.But I looked at a lot and got St.Croix bag.May check it out

benihana
    Central MN

Thanks for pointing that bag out to me, I looked at it, and it looks like a very nice bag I may end up going with that but for right now, I am looking for a bag that holds more combos. But that St Croix looks real nice. Thanks again.

brittlab
    North Central Iowa

I’ve had the TB bag for a few years and really like it. holds 5-6 combos and plenty of jigs and misc tools.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’ve had some horrible luck with rod bags and I don’t care what brand. I’ve got three dead ones in the garage right now from 3 different companies that all gave up the ghost last winter after minimal use. The issue is with the zippers. If it has one… its gonna’ break. Not a question of if, more like when. I’m going to go to a hard case with LATCHES this year. I’ve been checking them out quite a bit lately and they seem to offer the best protection and durability. Some guys are using bow cases and I know Otter makes a good one so there’s choices out there if you want to go a slightly different route.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

If you have a nice wood shop or any of your own tools you can make a pretty nice wood one.

travp
    Blaine , Mn

Get a stone legacy revolution if you want a good rod bag. They have to be ordered on their website though.

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

I love my otter hard case! otter ice fishing hard case

Never have to worry about a busted rod, toss it in the shack or on the wheeler and go! It cost more than the bags, but worth every dime!

Jami

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

It cost more than the bags, but worth every dime!

Jami

Not when you kill three bags in a winter. You’d think I would have “wised up” after the second one.

Jami, can you get more that 4 rods in one of those cases or is 4 the max?

whiskeyandwater
    ????

Speaking of Rod Cases is Marcum ever going to bring back the rod pack?

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Many people wondering that.

The story on that is that the third party supplier who built the bags, did it in a manner that was definately not durable. Straps broke, zippers broke, seams fell apart. There was even a report of bag jumping up off the ice and slapping its owner .

Needless to say, purchasing ended and quite a few people were upset.

However, MarCum is just the company who will listen to its consumers. A better bag is not out of the question in the future.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Quote:

Get a stone legacy revolution if you want a good rod bag. They have to be ordered on their website though.

My Revolution has been getting bungeed to the back of my snowmobile or thrown into my Otter for the last 4 years and its still in great shape ans I haven’t broken a rod yet.

cdn
    West Central, MN

I have owned the Thorne Bros. soft side ice rod bag for a few years, and I absolutely love it! Mine has been heavily used and abused, and it’s never let me down. Never broke a rod. I can fit about 6 rods and a lot of tackle and gear.

It places well inside the Otter, or wear it on your back wherever you may roam.

I had to look at Thornes’ site and I was glad they still sell these rod cases!

I am not a fan of any hard tube cases. Bad results from those.

da-z-man

I have the Cabelas 6 combo bag you mentioned in the first post. It’s made by Croxton and I have had decent luck with it. At first I wasn’t too crazy about it, but have gotten used to it and I like it now. I think 6 combos is pushing it though, I have 5 in mine and it is pretty tight

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Quote:

Quote:

Jami

Not when you kill three bags in a winter. You’d think I would have “wised up” after the second one.

I can fit about 10-12 rods in my Otter rod box easily. I’ve had it for the past 4 years and they are bullet proof! I really put my gear to the test when fishing out on MilleLacs. I tow my Otter hundreds of miles each winter and at times probably a little too fast and when you hit that hidden drift and everything flies in the air it’s nice to know your gear will always be safe. That box is worth its weight in gold to me. I’d defiantly recommend one James.

benihana
    Central MN

Thanks for all the replies guys. Guess I will have to do a little more looking with all these different options and opinions you guys gave me. Thanks

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Jami

Yup, I normally have 6 or 8 in there easily plus some other things that need protecting, like the jig boxes. So if I loose one, i loose it all!

Jami

mojogunter

How do you get so many rods in the Otter case? Are they just the rods with no reels? I would like to see a picture if you have one. I have the Otter case and I can only get four combos in it.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

How do you get so many rods in the Otter case? Are they just the rods with no reels? I would like to see a picture if you have one. I have the Otter case and I can only get four combos in it.

Hey Mojo

I resized your pic so it wouldn’t stretch the page. Hope you don’t mind.

As for those Otter boxes… if I can get 6+ rods in a case I’m sold. Any more than that and I’d be thrilled. The plan is to check them out at the show. If I can get 6 rods in one I’ll be bringing one home with me and the rod bags are going to the curb on garbage day.

Brent Yeakey
    Bloomer, WI

I have been staring at Mojo’s pic (The Rod Case) I wondering if you could get more rods in there if they were all pointed in the same direction. Start with the reel towards the center with the rod butt all the way to the end of the case. Then “stack” them from there. I think I may need to pick one or two or these up myself.

Ted Wedul
    holmen, wi

Question for all. Does anyone have suggestions how to store all their rods that they are fishing with? I normally have a few on top of a 5 gallon bucket that I rotate through while fishing. Only problem…I touch/bump the bucket or a rod and BAM…all the rods either fall to the ground or into the bucket. I untangle the lines/jigs, set back up, and repeat…

Ted

crappie66
    Iowa City, IA

Ted,
    I’m going to try a thing called “The Rod handler” this year.
    I found mine on the internet through The Moose Bay Trading Company. Fits into a 5 gal pail. Will carry 5 rods in the Fish Trap Pro and hopefully will keep them from getting tangled.
    Good luck,
    John

Ted Wedul
    holmen, wi

I like it!! You could probably do the same thing with a little pvc… Thanks.

Ted

mojogunter

You could get more rods in than the four I have if they were all shorter than the 28″ sweetheart rods. The two 28″ rods don’t really allow you to do that because they are almost as long as the case is.

Quote:

I have been staring at Mojo’s pic (The Rod Case) I wondering if you could get more rods in there if they were all pointed in the same direction. Start with the reel towards the center with the rod butt all the way to the end of the case. Then “stack” them from there. I think I may need to pick one or two or these up myself.

ealbrecht

stop at Thorne Bros and ask for the Quickdraw rod holder. It attaches to the rod handle and you just leave it there. It can then be put on the over head pole of the fishhouse, your belt, or on the side of the bucket all with the same clip, also makes a great dead stick holder.

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

Mojo, here is a picture I took last year, I don’t have any of the sweetheart rods, mostly st croixs. I leave the reels on them, just turn the handles in. Since they stay nice and tight in the case, they aren’t all messed up once you get to the spot.

In addition to a great rod case, it makes a nice table in the otter as well (picture 2 lower right is the case with “stuff” all over the top of it).

Jami

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Jami, that looks similar to the way I organize mine. I nest mine a little more and I can get 8 rod/reel combos and another 4 panfish rods without reels. This case works pretty slick for me.

Ted Wedul
    holmen, wi

Thanks guys…now I have to add one more thing to the christmas list… Come to think of it…why wait til then…

josh_hanson
    S.E. Minnesota

I have been using this breakdown shotgun case from Plano for a couple of years now. Only drawback is I can only fit 4 rod/reel combos in it.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.