Ice fishing on Lake of the woods report

• bam_bam
    Badger, MN- not too far from the big pond!

Hello all,
    I’ve been fishing in 5 different spots on lake of the woods in the past week, and I figured I’d give a report.
    On Zippel bay the fishing is fair, with a lot of burbouts coming out of the hole, but I still caught my limit on walleye, and there were a few in the 2-3 lb range.
    On long point I had better luck with less burbouts, but the fish seemed smaller….And the action was kind of
    spotty.
    On south shore (this is accessable by going about 4 miles east of Warroad, then going down what is known as ‘swift ditch’) The fishing was good, some nice walleye, and a few sauger, with the occasional perch.
    North of springsteel about 1/2 mile the fishing is okay, if you like a lot of perch and the occasional small walleye…
    Further north of springsteel about 2 miles, there’s some rock reefs….and that’s where you can stay busy almost all day…I’ve fished there twice, and each time came out with a nice catch of 1/2-1 pound perch, and some nice walleyes..and they have definite feeding times….in the early fore noon, and then about 2 o’clock to 4 o’clock you’ll be hard pressed to keep 2 lines in the water.
    They also seem to really like gold(reminds me of my wife that way).. I’ve had pretty good luck on almost any jig if it’s got a majority of gold with some red on it.
    If you’re from out of the area, and would like to come up fishin’…I’ll give you a few heads up on where to go… And many resorts in the area have cabin rentals for about $80 a nite, with weekly package deals. There are a few other hot spots out on the ice that I’ve heard of, but I wouldn’t recommend going out there unexperienced….there’s a chance you’d end up in Ontario
    hope everyone has a safe and happy new year!!

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

THanks for the great report Marcus. Sounds like you guys had some busy periods thoughout the day as well.
    Here is a post that we have going right now over on the LOTW forum for anyone making the trip soon.

Lake of the Woods report

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.