petenwell 1-31-09 GAME ON

• NickJohnson

blue perch and a few other friends and i made the road trip to petenwell sat am got there bout 730 gps with lake chip saves tons of time searching for a spot the channel wasnt hard to locate just look for the long line of fishermen but the spot on the spot was what we were after 20 foot hump with 30 foot on all sides put the tips ups on the hump jigged in the deep didnt take long to get 1st flag but no one home set up the shacks and went to work i struck 1st and often with slab crappies coming thru in the 20 foot range and bull rushing and thumping my flyer spoon with a medium fathead (whole) then the crew joined in on the new target species was pretty good bite all day we were able to get 1 legal walleye 16.5 inches thru back 4 shorts 2 catfish 1 for myself what a blast on a jig pole and a larger cat for blue perch his highlight of the day. i snuck in a white bass walleye crappie and catfish to take the multi-species award blue perch got the big catfish and big crappie (a 14 inch slob) ended with 42 crappies only 1 throw back but since blue perch forgot the grill luckily i still had the camp stove in the truck but nothing except an ice scooper to cook the brats on but they turned out just fine flyer spoon was best for my but the others had there best luck with a deadstick minnow under a slip bobber other than a little windy a very nice day on the ice and a fish fry for our efforts

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

Good job guys, sounds like a blast.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

looks like you had a little town on the ice there

Also looks like you had some fun …nice to see the fishing picking up

troutsrus
    Lytton Iowa

Looks like a great day …….. brats on the skimmer —- Awesome

Jeff Bennett
    Lake Puckaway Wi.

Great job guys , nothing better than catching crappies in deep water.

blue_perch
    Sparta WI

Great time out on the ice, as it always is even if the fish are not biting. I would recommend a cat on a jig pole to everyone. Marshal thanks for the help maybe you can join us next time and we will show you where the fish are. I cleaned 14 crappie and they filled up a gallon bag. Can’t wait till tonight. Good Luck all, Jesse

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Great job gutone4me!!! Fished the Knockers tourney on Dam Lake on the Sugar Camp chain yesterday. Some crappies, northern & walleyes got on the board, but unfortunately didn’t stay on the board. Watched Gillespie with Larry, Larry, Larry on the Pete. Hope to get down there b4 ice disappears. Also had a friend take his boat down to Milwaukee Harbor yesterday to fish browns & I heard that they are doing well on Superior for cohos out of Saxon. Too much to do, so little time!!!

Mark

Jon Stevens
    Northfield, Wi

Looks like you guys had a blast! I’ve been hitting the Pete pretty much every weekend since x-mas with mixed results. I can’t seem to find a steady crappie bite but always catch a few. Walleyes have been tearing it up though. Wish I could have made it down on such a nice weekend but I had to catch up on the honey-do list.

NickJohnson

going back this fri hope they are still there and hungry

abster71
    crawford county WI

that’s a first I’ve seen skimmer skillet how’s that work for eggs and bacon?

Ted Wedul
    holmen, wi

Way to go guys!!! After this post, I might have to go on a road trip sometime…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.