Leech Lake; The good, bad, and the ugly.

• the_grump
    Le Center

Myself, mallard_malitia, shoot’n release, Bones, and a couple other “lurkers” headed up to Leech to do a some perchin’

The good; The fishing was good, we all managed to bring home our limit of perch, between 10 and 13″. Plus a few nice size tulibees. C&R’d a dozen walleye/northerns.
    Most of the fish came off the steeper breaklines.

The bad; The equipment we busted. The snow was hard, and we didn’t secure it good enough. We managed to break 1 Strike Lite auger, two St Croix rods, One guys head(slipped on the ice) a Mr Heater, froze up Lar’s auger with a busted 12 pack, in the bottom of the sled. The good news is my Lowrance, stood up to flying across the ice .

The ugly; Sat morning we were out on the ice before sunrise and went 6 mile back to a spot we had good luck at on fri, after about an hour of fishing, a group of six snowmobiles, and seven atv’s pulling a fishhouse, pulled right into the middle of our group, asked how the bite was (they seen our fish on the ice) then turned and parked 30yds away. After telling them they were to close for such a large group (there was not another fisherman for a mile)the guy blew a gasket at told us this was his spot, and that we followed them.

It was the worst thing I had ever seen on the ice! Well, they stayed right where they were, and spent the next hour drilling holes! What a thing to teach the 7 or 8 kids that were along. What an idiot

The fishing on Leech is good and getting better, I hope I can get up there again this year.

Derek Hanson

Good report!! Nice to hear Leech is coming alive again. Too bad for the group taking over your spot, I know how that goes A 13″ perch is a pig!!

barbisfishn
    Cedar Rapids, Ia

That Bites… I hope the idiot see’s this message and get’s the point… DOH

I hope to get up to Leech too, had a blast last year….

bearhunter01
    Rosemount/Isle, MN

I hate people like that. Makes a person mad. I hope they didn’t catch anything.

Besox

That’s why I always put my fish in a bucket. Good report, nice to hear Leech is coming back!

shoot_n_release
    Mora, MN

Ate some of those 13″ perch last night…. I should have packed them smaller. 3 of us ate 5-1/2 fish.

Any pictures Grump? … or were you up to late (early?).

Good to hear you guys made it home… to next time

Lars

sand_burr
    Grasston, MN

Nice report guys!

mallard_militia
    Fulton County, Illinois

I’ll get some of the pics posted tonight. Yep, it was very tough on equipment. My strike lite is completely useless. There is only 1/2 flight left on the bottom and the handle is broke. It wasn’t from bouncing around on the sled either, just broke trying to get through the ice.

Good report Grump. I’ll add to it tonight with some pics of nice walleye and jumbo perch.

mallard_militia
    Fulton County, Illinois

A couple pics. I thought I had better ones, but I guess not.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.