Airboats

• WeaverBottom
    SE Minnesota

I don’t wish to start a battle with this comment, but are there other people out there that find the use of airboats as a means of travel on the river disruptive to wildlife and people that live on the river? I was out on the river this weekend and there was one running around and it seems to me that ducks, deer, fox, yotes, etc. just don’t seem to get a break. Especially the ducks. No wonder they don’t want to use the Mississippi fly-way, not only is there limited food, but you’ve got these loud fans ripping through the swamp disturbing them. Blowing them out of those little pockets that have food. I know there’s a fine line in this argument. Sorry, but I just have to vent.

shermanator
    Nebraska

I used to feel that way too. I hated those things during bow season, until I noticed that the deer just stand still until they are gone. Now as far as the waterfowl go, I see your point. My friend has one, and just by cruising up and down the river, you basically do scare every bird up. I feel your pain. Sherm

newt
    Pillager, MN

You can hear those things for miles. I’m sure they are usefull but dang they are loud. Too loud in my opinion.

russjudy
    Minnesota

could someone post a pix of one or a link to look at them-tks

ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

Here’s a picture of one on the ice. Air boat

Ed

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

They do have a unique purpose on thin ice and extremely shallow water. I say take a good hard look at a RiverPro before considering one of these for fishing. I have fished out of a RiverPro twice and we snuck into some pretty shallow and tight areas without making much of a disturbance. The airboats coming roaring up to these same spots and the noise they make is just ridiculous.

ducksmuggler
    Red Wing, MN

RiverPro’s cann’t go OVER the ice like an airboat does

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Yes, they are loud and a little obnoxious, but they definitely have their purpose. I am hoping to find one for myself in the near future. It will make water trapping a whole lot easier

WeaverBottom
    SE Minnesota

I guess in my opinion,…JUST MY OPINION…the only time the should be used on the river is for rescue purposes. A 10hp and a push pole can get you anywhere you want. As for trapping I think it makes it too easy. Sooner or later you’ll trap out the rats, cause you can get too them all. Little lotus eatin’ son of a guns don’t stand a chance. Fur prices are in the dumps anyway.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I would think if rats were going to be trapped out because of air boats you would have seen some evidence by now. Air boats have been around for sometime now.
    Yes they are loud but serve a great purpose in my opinion. I hope to own one some day just to open up a whole new ice fishing experience

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

I hope to own one some day just to open up a whole new ice fishing experience

Me thinks the same thing First and last ice

WeaverBottom
    SE Minnesota

I don’t know, it’s just that I grew up on the river. Not visited it on weekends or had a cabin. I didn’t watch TV. When I was bored I went fishing, hunting, or trapping on the river. In my time 20+ yrs, much has changed, in my opinion to the worse. I am begining to understand why kids aren’t getting into the outdoors. They won’t ever get to experience the “good ol’ days”. Technology is making things too easy-too lazy. Signing off on this topic. Thank god, Huh.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

After all the miles and pure hard work I put in this last year trapping, an airboat would have been a time and life saver for me. I walked,pushed, rowed, push poled, and skidded more miles and for more hours than most guys would have done. I don’t look at technology as being all lazy, but it follows the theory of work smarter not harder I was surrounded by guys in airboats for most of the season and I was envious of them by the end of the first month of trapping. The good thing about them is you can get away from the pressure by being able to go farther than the average guy that doesn’t have the ability to do so. Imagine all the untouched areas you can get to for ice fishing or trapping

juggs
    The biggest nightcrawler bed in all of Minneapolis

I don’t see a problem with these. In fact, I’d probably buy one if I had the money. As far as the ducks go, seems they flush every time I get near them with my 50hp outboard.

WeaverBottom
    SE Minnesota

Fur prices – fuel for a small block = ?

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

Fur prices – fuel for a small block = ?

Most of the new models I see are High-performancs 4 bangers….excellent muffler systems…
    Most of the noise now comes from the prop…..
    Some now also come with twin props…less noise even still.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Fur prices are not why I trap. I could care less what the prices are to be honest, I enjoy trapping. It is something that keeps me busy, out in nature, and always learning new things. Did I complain about last years prices, heck no, they were great. If rats sell for $2 this coming year, you will still find me out busting ice and setting traps. Whether it is from an airboat, skiff, or walking I will be out trapping

WeaverBottom
    SE Minnesota

I’m leaving it at this. To hear an airboat blowing around everytime I’m out just seems to ruin my “outdoor experience”. It’s like hearing the alarm clock on monday morning.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

And you have the right to feel that way but if you are letting it ruin your day on the water I feel sorry for you I wouldn’t think it is like they are busy around a guy all day. I can’t say I even hear an airboat each trip I make out on the water which is a lot of them. When I do hear one it is in passing.

I would like to see the new air boats Mudshark mentioned in motion. Sounds like something I would be interested in.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

I would like to see the new air boats Mudshark mentioned in motion. Sounds like something I would be interested in.

Twin prop
    Here ya go can’t say I’ve seen one in action…

russjudy
    Minnesota

WE MAY NEVER BE ABLE TO AFFORD ONE BUT WE E-MAILED THEM FOR A BROCHURE- NOTHING WRONG WITH DREAMING- i ALWAYS WANTED TO FLY A PLANE OF MY OWN, FLY A HELICOPTER OF MY OWN, OWN AN AIRBOAT- GUESS WE WILL JUST GO FISHING SINCE WE HAVE A BOAT i ALWAYS DREAMED OF–JUDY ALWAYS SAYS “YOU can look all you want but dont touch or bring anything home with you”!!!

russjudy
    Minnesota

well I e-mailed them and got a cd back to look at-I was a little dissappointed in it- it gives only a 10 secound clip of unloading and loading it, doesnt say anything about engine, the building of it, materials, warrenties, costs, weight it could carry, acceseries, different sizes they made, didnt show controls, shop or a map to a dealer-

if someone wants to look at it we will send it off e-mail us with address and its yours free to pass on to someone else, we will pay postage-it doesnt get any better than that-snapfizzzzzzzzzzzz!!!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.