Question for Iowa City guys

• jphersh22
    SE Iowa

Andy, Luke I figure you guys might know what I’m talking about here. I checked with the conservation office on the quarry just outside of town and they said it’s still not legal to fish until it gets “cleaned up” properly. Technically it’s tresspassing to go there. Did you guys know that? I’ve heard of guys trying it already.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Yep- I know exactly what you are talking about. They have patrolled it for years. And they do write many tickets…

I wouldn’t advise going there until it is “open”…I can’t imagine the tickets are cheap..

The city bought it from S&G Company- (sand and gravel company)…and they have plans to turn it into a park.

Let me know if you have any other questions…

VikeFan

Yup–after Iowa City finalized its purchase of the sand pit, I contacted the Parks Department about ice fishing there. I was told the property was still off-limits to the public. I was not given a time-table for when it will be opened as a park (that is the final plan), but I am hoping I can get my boat out there this coming summer or fall and mark some structure and cover for next winter.

VikeFan

Just a follow-up: I do not know if there will be boat access on the sand lake. I heard one report that the city was considering a paddle-boat rental place for it, but that is not official.

twoskneb
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Hey all
    I have fished the pits down off sand road several times within the past 6 months or so. I have no idea about the legalities involved but I have been down there and talked to city officials on multiple occasions without encountering any problems. Got into some good messes of gills down there but haven’t hit any of the BIG bass or crappies I have heard others talking about.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Quote:

within the past 6 months or so

It was sold to the city just a while back. Before that it was owned by S&G. Now it is owned by the city- and it is ILLEGAL to fish there…or for that matter even be on the property, until the park is finished.

Quote:

talked to city officials on multiple occasions without encountering any problems.

What type of city officials?

I’m sorry, I am not trying to be rude, I just don’t want people seeing your post, and then assuming that it is ok to be down at this pits..and then get ticketed. Follow the law is my best piece of advice…

And welcome to IDA Bob!!!

twoskneb
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Luke,
    I understand what your saying. I also find it interesting that it is illegal to fish because I have talked to a police officer there on one occasion and some others who were in white city vehicles, both just said hello and good luck. Anyway hopefully the city gets things in gear and opens it up legally because it seems to be a decent spot, especially for being so close.

I was also wondering if anyone knew about the water treatment ponds off Dubuque street by the river, right north of the interstate. I’m hoping to make it out there on the ice soon, I would assume there might be some eyes in there…being so close to the river and all.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

As far as I know, you can fish the water treatment ponds…just don’t fish the one that has signs around it.

That one has warm water in and around it…

Good luck at the other ones…

Rugbystar
    Marion, Iowa

Water treatment? What exactly are they treating in those ponds? Not sure I’d want to keep anything from a pond titled Water Treatment…

andyjcraig
    Iowa City, Iowa

Sorry so late on this thread…..

anyway, Bob, I have been kicked out and warned at both gravel pits and have heard of many tickets being issued. I know they will be doing some renovations this spring as well and will be kicking people out and ticketing. My neighbor has been to city meetings about the new park they’re making because he’s an adjacent land owner and that is what they have said.

kornking
    Mount Vernon, Iowa

Maybe “brown trout”?

twoskneb
    Cedar Rapids, IA

I would have taken catching a “brown trout” today. Hit the ice at McBride around 8:00. Fished till noon….nothing….marked a couple fish on the vex(my first time using one) and had not even a nibble on waxies or minnows. Ended up fishing the slackwater pool right under the tube in coralville, marked a couple fish, but continued the skunking. After this I figured anything was worth a try so I went down to the treatment pond. There was plenty of ice but still no bithing fish, yet I think I marked a couple on a nice drop, yet still no bites. Quit round 4:00.
    I think the fishing gods were a little pissed I decided to go electronic. However it sure is fun watching your jig on the flasher…kept me entertained through one long…loooong day.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.