Spear fishing

• tcfishing
    Anoka, MN

Does anyone spear fish any more? I am thinking of getting into it, my grandfather did it all the time and I would like to try it. I would like to hear (or read) any tips or advice you might have.

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

Castandblast and I plan to do some this year. He is going somewhere and a guy is taking him out. My plan is to start on lakes that are clear and high pike populations. Good luck!

barbisfishn
    Cedar Rapids, Ia

We watched up at Garfield Lake just outside of Walker Mn.
    We fished with Roerick Fish House Rentals, it was an experience to see the fish up close.

col._klink
    St Paul

Once you start it is hard to angle again!

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Hey tcfishing… if you are targeting Pike… might I suggest Coon Lake. Quite a few people target Pike on this lake… and it does produce. There is an abundance of pike… large and small. There is not a great deal of other species… Pike is the predominant fish on this water. For fishing… there is walleye. Pan fish are not great of size. But, again… plenty of Pike.

Darrell
    SE MN

We try to set up on a point on the edge of the weeds or inside turn. If there is a river coming into the lake that can be a good spot too. There is an article in the last Minneosta Sportsman about Pike. Darrell

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

I still spear…its about what my father doea 90% of the time hes on the ice and he got me into it..I think its comparable to bow hunting which i love..You have to get em in close…be very still and when the big boy decoys the old ticker gets a poundin as hes just feet below you..any mojor movement and the pike is gone…try it once and youll be “hooked”…jay

tcfishing
    Anoka, MN

I used to bow big time but now There isn’t enough time in the day so when you say it’s like bowhunting, wow. How do you cut the hole? I’ve heard chain saw but I also seen an ice saw at Cabelas.

Gotfish
    My House

I spear carp in the spring when there workin its lots of fun ive never tried pike.

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

TC CAHINSAW WORKS WHEN THE ICE IS THINNER BUT WHEN ITS THICKER I DRILL SEVERAL HOLES WITH THE AUGER IN A SQUARE AND GET THE HOLES AS CLOSE AS I CAN…I THEN CHIP AWAY FROM IN BETWEEN THE HOLES AND POP THE BLOCK OF ICE OUT…WHEN YOU LEAVE THE HOLE PLACE BOARD INSULATION IN THE HOLE AND THE ICE IS EASILY CHIPPED AWAY THE THE NEXT TIME YOU GO OUT…JAY

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.