Reel Weeds?

• tslonek
    Coon Rapids,Mn

I’ve been seeing some posts about “reel weeds”. What are these? Thanks.

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

http://reelweeds.com/

They are structure that you bring with you.
    Very neat idea and I can’t wait to try out the ones castandblast bought.

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Watch that clip of the pike on web site. Its almost like its trying to look like a weed, coming in straight down.

tslonek
    Coon Rapids,Mn

What a great idea! Simple yet effective. Thanks for the links guys.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

I kinda chuckeled when I first heard about them, until a very well known guide, who grew up on Upper Red Lake told me quite different……

The guide told me that in a matter of minutes, crappies would just “show up” when the weeds were dropped.

scenic tackle
    Bemidji, MN

This will be my second season using Reel Weeds. I will be the first to admit that my first thought of this product was…hmmmm. Sounds like a lot of work to me. However I too was always taught to find structure and you will find fish. So I was intrigued by this product enough to get me to try it.

My first time out I had a quad pack (5 pack) of them and I drilled a series of holes that would place 3 of them under the sled of my Polar shack and the other two I placed on the outside corners. I was fishing perch on a sand flat that day with virtually no weed cover. We had been to this spot several times prior to this event and had caught fish but you had to keep moving to stay on the fish. What impressed me the most about the Reel Weeds is their ability to hold the fish in a certain area. We caught enough fish in just the holes we drilled to fish from and never needed to move that day at all.

Fish have two objectives of live. Eat and not be eaten. To not be eaten they hide. To eat they seek. By using Reel Weeds you can now make your own area for them to hide and by presenting them a food, aka your presentation, you have just given that school of fish a reason to be there. They have both objectives fish live by right underneath of you.

I know that this product looks simple however this company did a lot of research in cold water testing to make this product remain pliable in the extreme conditions. I have stored these things in my shack in the back of my truck over night and have had to put them out in -20 degree temps. They will remain pliable even in those temps and continue to be usable in all weather. The only time I have had any problems with any type of freeze in problems is when I myself left to much string in the slush and then it got cold. Had I wrapped up the string that was not being used like I was supposed to I would not have had that problem or any other problems at all.

Great product, great concept.

Matt Hall
    Mount Horeb, WI

I NEED some of these. I haven’t had any luck on their online store. I’d like to order online, if you’ve found another online store that sells the reel weeds product please post it here.

Thanks,

Matt

tslonek
    Coon Rapids,Mn

Wouldn’t there be an issue of getting your line tangled in the weed line once you have a fish on?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

tslonek, That’s a good question!

In the photo above, I was fishing less than a foot and a half from the weeds (I think it was more like just over a foot away)…tangles didn’t happen…but that was in 5 feet of water.

I guess my answer to that is…many people ice fish with two lines. Many times, close together in deep and shallow water. How often do lines tangle? Not a lot…but it does happen.

Now remember these weeds are NOT “attached” to the bottom. There’s a 3 oz weight holding them down and a float keeping them up right. Just pull your fish and weeds in to the hole…and in the worst case scenerio…cut the hook off and let the weeds drop. They go back to their regular position and you may have to retie. It just doesn’t happen as often as one would think.

Personally, I don’t like hassles…which is why while ice fishing there are (too many) times I know I should move my portable…but don’t. These weeds are less hassle to pull up and put away than a camera cable!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I agree with Brian Don’t let that out to the public
    I don’t think it will happen as often as a guy would think. And if so, no big deal drop the weed back in the hole you pulled it out of and it should set up again by its self. Might want to just check the first few times to make sure the weed does set itself vertical again.
    I will be using mine this weekend in some deeper water. I will be sure to share the results, if good I really like the idea of taking structure onto the ice with me!

Coreyc
    La Crosse/Amery, WI

Has anyone ever used or heard of people lowering a string of those car sale lot flags or streamers down to the bottom. I’ve heard of this method but have never used it or witnessed it…I’m not sure if the idea is to attract fish because of the resemblence of structure or the presence of all those bright colors.

Thoughts?

nick
    Lakeville, MN

I stopped by everts and dean was happy to send me home with a 5 pack

Moore’s bait and tackle today he seems to think he would have them by monday or tuesday after noon sometime.

seems to be a lot of hype around these, I gotta try them out for myself, I’ll be sure to report back too.

shaley
    Milford IA

First day on the ice this afternoon. Didnt bring the 5 pack along just the one for the camera cable. First hour with just jigging and the vex nothing. Strung up the camera dropped it down 10 minutes later steady bite for the next 2 hours. Right now I’m beliving in the weeds taking the 5 pack tomarrow.

Thanks Brian ( Damn that hurt)

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Thanks Shaley! The hurt will go away with time…

Quote:

seems to be a lot of hype around these

Nick…try them…because you will become part of the hype!

shaley
    Milford IA

I’m not sure Brian I may have to seek professional help.

jld
    Holmen

Does anybody in the La Crosse area sell these??

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Quote:

Thanks Shaley! The hurt will go away with time…

Quote:

seems to be a lot of hype around these

Nick…try them…because you will become part of the hype!

I think I am already But seriously, Ive been thinking about the concept, fish seeking structure is actually a pretty solid idea, and the whole find and fish the green weeds concept. (though the green weeds no doubt has a lot to do with 02 content)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.