Ice Fishing rods and reels

• matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Quote:

So for those of you that think a 50 dollar rod will make a bluegill bite better than a 25 dollar rod, let me tell you right now, i think you are wrong .Its all about preference!

Now Cade,……Theres no doubt in my mind that you know what you’re doing on the hardwater. But,….there is such thing as agreeing to disagree. I agree that 2 different priced rods will not make fish bite better. However I’ll say that having a rod with the right action will make sure they get out of the holes. It is important to know that a rods action does not only depend on the size of the fish you’re catching. On the other hand its important to know that that those $50 rods are good rods and that often times they have more variety of rods. So instead of selling only three different types/actions/weights of rods a company develops “speciality”rods. Its like you hypocritically said in the quote above “Its all about preference” Therefore you shouldn’t say anyone else is “wrong”.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

well thats not really what i meant by saying people are wrong….its all about preference with what feel you like, but if you think a 50$ rod will make a bluegill bite better than a 25 dollar rod, then i think you are wrong. I didn’t say you or any of these guys are “wrong” with your rod choices, but a rod is a rod, a fish is a fish…I understand that these more expensive rods make specialty rods, and i can especially see where these specialty rods would be nice in open water, but i still love my panfish popper. To me, it is perfect for me, and fits my preference. Again, i wasn’t saying anything at all in a hypocritical fashion, just stating that the fish don’t care what rod you are using. If you want to spend 50 dollars on a rod that might be a little higher quality, thats your Preference but i do not feel the need for such an expensive rod, nor can i afford it.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Luke, that is the Reel that I am using. They are $30 to start the season but every year after Christmas they got down to $19.99. This year I bought all 7 they had left. They go have a great drag and instant anti-reverse, those are the two things most important to me.

Then you have to wipe all the lube off them and use WD-4 or Blue Lube. After that you are good to go for the ice season.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Cade…you are correct about a rod not making the fish bite better..The fish cannot tell if your “pioneering” fishing or using your panfish popper!!! But the light biting fish that is sometimes expierenced here in Minnesota and higher end rod is a must in my opinion. That my opinion! Some may agree and some disagree!!
    I buy my rods at Thorne Bros because I like to them. You buy your panfish popper rod because you like it, right!!
    Its all a matter of personal preference!! If you can afford something when it comes to fishing why not buy it. If you cannot afford it then you have to find equipment that will do its job at the right price.

This is nothing against you at all! In fact I look forward to hearing about your fishing adventures everyday..You are one heck of a fisherman and have a ton of knowledge at a young age..
    These post are always about ones personal expierences or opinions!! That all!

emover
    Malcom, IA

Scott,
    You made mention of Mammouth rods. Can you elaborate on them? Where are they available, etc. I tried searching and didn’t have much luck thanks in advance.

dave

trwilson
    Savage Minn.

If you want a very good ice fishing rod and reel check out the Wristsaver ice rods. come in actions from micro light to heavy,with 3 or 5 ball bearing reels. check out their web site at http://www.wristsaverrods.com I am the one holding the northern caught on 6lb line and a medium action rod.
    Terry Wilson

walleye_dog
    Western WI

If you happen to know a custom rod builder, and you are looking for a great rod for a good price, be sure to check him out before you buy a store rack rod. My brother-in-law had my name for Christmas this year and I was curious what my gift would be. I knew he had taken a rod building class about 8-9 months ago and he was actually getting pretty good at crafting custom St. Croix rods. Well low and behold my gift just happened to be a custom Legend Elite ice rod. He found a cracked blank at his supplier and built the whole thing for around 30 bucks. You want to talk about a sweet 32″ med. action walleye rod-WOW. I wont buy another retail rod until I first check to see if he can come up with what I am looking for.

swami2806

I have to agree with the folks who prefer the high end gear. Even if you don’t go custom, any fisherman would be better off with a quality rod, and it’s important that it is either glass or solid graphite. The hollow graphite and the composits and low quality graphite can develop tiny fractures and weaken over time. Add water expanding and comtracting in those cracks, well, you get a pike that decides to dive or if you get a snag you can break your rod. Since fishing tends to be a remote sport, whether on a boat, bank, or out on the ice, it’s a pain if if have to pick up and find a new rod or tackle shop to repair equipment. When I’m out there, I don’t want equipment breaking down and ruining the outing. Plus the higher quality rods are lighter, stronger and more sensative. No, they won’t help you find fish, but they help with every single other thing to get the fish iced–feeling the bite to playing it so it won’t snap the line (drag is only part of it), to pulling it out of the hole. As for reels, you don’t need 17 ball bearings and a super balanced one since you’re not working a bait or lure like you are in open water. But you’re still going to want an excellent drag, and gears that stay put in the frame under stress of fighting a fish. If you ice fish two times a year, then go as cheap as you want. But if you do it regularly, I’d go with a solid outfit, imo.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.