“Go To” Crappie Jigs

• mnangler
    Wabasha, MN

OK yesterday we had a post about everyone’s favorite sunfish jigs. What are your “go to” jigs when mainly targeting crappies. I usually will tie on a purist in purple or white/pink.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Spoons then down size as needed

brianm
    Le Suer County, MN

x2 on spoons. Crappies eat them like candy.

Ekez

Early ice it was 1/16 slender spoons, now it’s switched to majmun and cheki jigs (spelling?) with a plastic tail. Mustache worms cj&s finess plastics and b-y baits have all produced.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

From the reports I have read,I see the mustache plastics on a Pug jig have been rather productive.

Taking that info in consideration that would be one of my “go to” jig set ups.

JakeLeg

Down here my favorites are pk spoons and black and chart. 1/16oz jigs

Bryan Myers

I would have to say for me I almost always grab the rod that has a pug bug tied on when I’m chasing crappies. If I’m fishing deeper water I’m going to usually go with a 1/16oz if its a shallower bite Ill use a 1/32oz usually rigged with one or two mustache worms. If I’m really searching to find fish, and covering lots of water I like to keep a 1/16oz Tingler spoon handy to help in the search.

BBKK
    IA

Ratso from custom jigs and spins is my all time favorite.
    Mayfly from northland is rising to the top as one of my favorites also.

For spoons, by far the custom jigs and spoons demon jigging spoon in the smallest size with the hook replaced with a #14 VMC 9649. CLOWN COLOR!

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Depends on water depth for me. Lots of lakes and ponds I fish are only 12′ deep max and craps are less than half way down. For skinny water old faithful has been a pink Northland jiggle bug with a pink Noodle and single white spike. I pull the knot so the jig is more horizontal than vertical. Gold diamond jig with 3-4 white spikes is the alternate. When I get to deeper lakes I go to the slender spoons or gold VMC tungsten jig with spikes, waxies and at times minnow heads.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Normally I would be all over the spoons but this year(late ice) I wanna pull out the Pug Bug with the Trigger X Nymph… My last time out this profile was the ticket !!

Jake_A

VMC Pug Bug head (red is my favorite) with a little atom micro nuggie (red or black), B-y plastics or crappie tom lil swimmers. I have been doing extremely well with them this year.

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Are the pug bugs tungsten? I bought a couple and didn’t even check…

BBKK
    IA

No, lead. One of the best on the market, VMC hooks are my favorite.

birdman
    Lancaster, WI

When the fish are active I like to fish Rembrandts. During tough bites I like the Northland Tapeworm plastics.

holmsvc
    SE ND

I really like the Northland Mud Bug

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

I started preparing my stuff for weekend ice and realized I never got around to buying any of my all-time favorite baits this year so started pounding my head into the wall. For years I have had tremendous success on Powerbait spikes often outproducing the real thing. BTW, 2 Powerbait wigglers wacky rigged on a #8 gold Aberdeen pushed tight together is a killer for open water panfish. Seems the fish showed little interest in just 1 on the hook nor more than 2 and they have to be tight and parallel to each other. Powerbait! Love it, it produces without the mess of Gulp.

slipbobnick
    MN

orange buckshot spoon with minnow head

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Quote:

For years I have had tremendous success on Powerbait spikes often outproducing the real thing.

I went to the Berkley web page hoping to order more spikes but I don’t think they make them anymore. I sent them an email hoping they tell me different. If anyone sees them stockpiled somewhere please let me know.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Quote:

For years I have had tremendous success on Powerbait spikes often outproducing the real thing.

I went to the Berkley web page hoping to order more spikes but I don’t think they make them anymore. I sent them an email hoping they tell me different. If anyone sees them stockpiled somewhere please let me know.

I have not seen any of the powerbait spikes for a couple of years.

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

After searching several websites I placed an order at Lake Michigan Angler for a few jars. I have a feeling they’ll respond with an order cancellation but we’ll see. Why do good things always have to come to an end? I suppose next it’ll be the 3″ chigger craw – killer bass bait on a small Fin-tech Titleshot or VMC football jig.

ec1
    NULL

No one likes Wolfram Fiska’s here eh?
    Realistically though, any tiny jig with a slug bug is my go to.

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Orange tiger or a fire tiger #10 diamond jig with either red or white finesse tail. I have mainly been catching them in 30 to 35 fow about 20 to 26 down above the brush. With 4 pound line these jigs go down fast…

schoff
    S.E., SD

Pink/Glow Fat Boy tipped with red spikes.

DeanoB
    Historic Mantorville

Quote:

No one likes Wolfram Fiska’s here eh?
    Realistically though, any tiny jig with a slug bug is my go to.

I like ’em so well I don’t talk about ’em on the internets, especially the spotted epoxy variety dyno-mite for big crappies and gills

mozy
    LQP

I have two that always seem to put more fish on ice than the rest.

Northland Bro’s bloodworm in either red or black.

Maynard’s Flutterbug in pink/white tipped with waxies or minnow head. The extra flutter from blades drives them nuts.

I would say I’ve caught 90+% of my crappies on those two lures.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.