Outer wear

• DrakeRoth22
    NULL

I think I’m in need of new outerwear for the hard water season. I’ve just been using my hunting bibs and coat and they’re plenty warm but they don’t block the wind out keep what’re out very we’ll. I’m thinking about strike master outer wear. Any one have any input on the bibs and parka?

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

I use them and am very happy with how they perform…

ekruger01

The strikemaster stuff is nice, its what I used to have. But for the same prices check out the striker ice line, it floats…

Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

X2 for Striker

grampatim
    Spirit Lake, IA

X3 for the Strikers!!

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

Tried Cabela’s Guidewear. Zippers were junk. Took them back and picked up a Snosuit on year end clearance. Best buy I’ve made. Just throw some jeans on and put the bibs on when you get to the lake. Nothing else. No long johns. Just the jeans. Never get cold and I rarely use a shelter.

gandercommander

Striker ice is complete s**t you take the liner out they don’t float anymore they rip easy zippers don’t work worth crap worst investment period anything else but striker ice

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Quote:

Striker ice is complete s**t you take the liner out they don’t float anymore they rip easy zippers don’t work worth crap worst investment period anything else but striker ice

Well OK then……..

shockers
    Rochester

I’ve had very good luck with the Strikemaster bibs and coat. This is my 3rd year of using them and still holding up well. Plenty warm for me. Got mine for a good deal at the ice show in St. Paul, which as I recall is usually the best time/place to get a deal on them. I normally only wear the bibs.

Steve Thompson
    Sioux Falls, South Dakota

I’ve also decided to buy a new set of hardwater wear. After lots of research, asking questions… and getting a host of opinions, I’ve decided to go with Striker Ice.

For the bibs, I’m going with the Predator (100grams insul) and for the jacket I’m going with the Climate 3-in-1 with the removable fleece-lined softshell jacket liner (175grams insul total).

The nice thing with Striker is that I was able to mix and match the bibs and jacket that fit my needs. They are on sale online at Red Rock Store…$199 for the jacket and $149 for the bibs.

They should be here in the next few days.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I like unlined gortex, blocks the wind and can easily adjust layers to weather conditions. I also use them in summer for rain gear.

ekruger01

Quote:

Who ever told you this is smoking the wacky tabacco…..the surefloat material is sewn in between the shell and the inside of the coat….

Michelle1969
    NULL

I like my snosuit jacket, just wish it was a little longer like a parka, I like the frabil black bibs no problems what so ever. Hardly ever use my hut thanks to this combo

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

I think I’m in need of new outerwear for the hard water season. I’ve just been using my hunting bibs and coat and they’re plenty warm but they don’t block the wind out keep what’re out very we’ll. I’m thinking about strike master outer wear. Any one have any input on the bibs and parka?

Check out Joe’s Sporting goods, they have a big sale right now on the ice fishing clothing. Snosuits were 50% off, Striker was 30% and i believe Ice Armor was 30% as well. Limited stock though so I would get there fast. I don’t need anything but was half tempted to buy a Snosuit when it would only cost ~$300.

doof

John or Adam at Tuned up custom rods sell striker ice and can set you up!

fireline
    Rochester

Quote:

I like my snosuit jacket, just wish it was a little longer like a parka, I like the frabil black bibs no problems what so ever. Hardly ever use my hut thanks to this combo

X2

Steve Thompson

I leave this Wednesday for a 5 day trip ice fishing for Lake Trout and my new Striker Ice outerwear showed up today. I have 15 year old ice wear that has seen better days. I have to tell you right out the package I’m impressed with Striker Ice.

I purchased the Climate 3-1 Jacket and the Predator Bibs. Who ever said this stuff is cheaply made and of poor quality is full of $hit.

The outer shell for the jacket & bib is 320 denier, the lower legs are 600 denier and the knees are 1600 denier. Compare that to the new Ice Armor Lift suit which is 250 denier outer shell and only 500 denier in the knees. My Guidewear waterfowl suit is also only 250 denier with no extra knee protection.

There was a comment about a nylon zipper. I looked at a number of other products including my waterfowling stuff and they also have nylon zippers. Not sure I would want metal zipper as it’ll freezer shut solid in a matter of minutes.

The Striker Ice fits well, has well placed pockets and d-rings and several well placed operable air vents. The knee material also goes low enough that when I kneel, it wraps well onto my shins and is in the critical wear area my knees will be on the ice. The liner for the Climate jacket is a great lightweight jacket in itself.

The best feature is the adjustable inseam on the bibs. I was able to put boots on and turn the velcro inseam up to fit my height. No more dragging the bottoms of my bibs on the ice. Not sure I’ve seen this feature in any other brand of ice wear.

I’ve spent 25+ seasons on the ice, typically 25-40 days a winter. I’m a mobile fisherman (Otter 1200XT) that can drill up to 75 holes in a single day. This winter has been one of the most brutal I can remember, so my stuff takes a severe beating. I’m looking forward to closing out this season with this Striker Ice gear.

Ed Stern
    Goodhue, MN, Goodhue County,

Quote:

X3 for the Strikers!!

I just got my “Striker Ice Lite” floating jacket from the UPS man on Thursday. I put it on and stood outside in the wind just to see how it felt. It is everything I need! And, you better sit down for this………it is still on sale for $79.99 at the Ice Fishing Maniac website. Comes in a S to 4XL, all for the same price. I’m leaving for South Dakota tomorrow to see how it works. Oh, crap! It’s supposed to be 30ish for the next tour days out there!

Steve Thompson

I’m leaving for South Dakota tomorrow to see how it works. Oh, crap! It’s supposed to be 30ish for the next tour days out there!

Ed, you’ll still need it. Even though the weather looks warmer, we’ve had a very windy winter. That wind coming across the lakes still sting’s on most days.

Ed Stern
    Goodhue, MN, Goodhue County,

Thanks, Steve, I didn’t think I could leave it behind. We gave been in the Webster area when we had to wait 2 hours(in the summer) to even be able to get on the lake we chose. I can’t even imagine what it could be like in the winter! Again, with the right equipment, anything is possible, but, you can never be too careful.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.