Catch cover extension?

• 396ranger
    Cottage Grove MN

So I converted my enclosed trailer into a ice house and used catch cover hole rings. My question is what have you used instead of the catch cover sleeve..

Zach H

I talked to my buddy that has a excavating company. He provided me with 12″ PVC pipe. Now those will only fit inside of the catch covers from Milaca unclaimed freight. If you bought the actual catch hole cover brand, those are only 12″ in diameter on the inside and this option will not work for you. The PVC is expensive if you buy brand new so check with you local excavators to see if they have any garbage scrap laying around that you could have.

Marcum12

We use 5 gallon pails that we cut the bottoms out of. Work great. We did have to find a couple of pails that had smaller diameter tops because the guy that built it, we bought it used had used 2 different brands of hole covers.

396ranger
    Cottage Grove MN

Pail is a little small I tried. Fix might be to wrap with armaflex but that is a lot of screwing around. I thought about a piece of pipe like spiral duct but it is just a little big. Normal snappy pipe might work but than that might be difficult to remove after fishing. Holes are just under 12″ and floor to ground is 16″

inskom

My trailer was the same. 16″ from floor to ground. A 7 gallon bucket might work, but I couldn’t find any to try out. They sell chlorine pellets in 7gallon buckets though, so check with hotels or schools that have swimming pools since they might have some of the 7 gallon size buckets.

I ended up just buying the catch cover sleeves. Yes, they’re expensive. But, they fit the holes right, and do the job well.

Good luck!

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

When i made mine i cut the holes square in the floor and made a sleeves out of plywood with two 2×2 blocks on the inside for handles when it comes time to remove them might not be the best but seams to work ok

Boss Hawg
    Inactive
    Brainerd Lakes Area

I think I tried everything and then bought the sleeves. Hated spending the money but they work far better than mickey mouseing stuff.

396ranger
    Cottage Grove MN

Well on the way into work this morning I said screw it and ordered the sleeves. It would be way to much screwing around to save a few bucks

Boss Hawg
    Inactive
    Brainerd Lakes Area

You’ll be happy you did. Debating myself and screwing around is far worse than just getting the right stuff and forgetting it. I always think I have a better answer, but seldom do.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.