Strikemaster Solo Compression test

• bsully23
    Pittsville, WI

I was just wondering if anyone knew what a Strikemaster Solo Laser Pro should compression test (psi) at?
    I was out ice fishing the other day & after about the 10th hole my auger seemed to be getting rather hot, so let off the throttle just a hair & it killed on me. I let it cool for a good 10 mins then tried pulling it over & it pulled over just fine, it just doesn’t sound like its anywhere near starting, as if its not getting gas. It compression tested at 95 psi & definitely has spark. Looking in the cylinder from the top (spark plug hole) there seems to be no marring on the cylinder or piston, nothing from the side either (took Carb off, looking in thru side of cylinder). Im going to try cleaning the carb & using a new spark plug. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Brad

onestout
    Hudson, WI

it should be a min of 90 to run but I would think that engine should be higher than that. How many times did the needle pump up? I was always taught to use the reading after 3 bumps.

I’ll add that along with what you mentioned I would also change out the gas and mix up some fresh stuff to make sure the ratio is correct.

the_grump
    Le Center

Put a little oil in the cylinder, turn it over slowly a couple times and retest. If it’s higher you may have a ring problem. If it’s not to tough pull the exhaust off, if there’s damage it will most likely be on the exhaust side.

bsully23
    Pittsville, WI

I’m going to go ahead & say the rings r bad. I pulled it over about.5 times & got a reading 95 psi. After adding oil to the cylinder it jumped to just under 105 psi. After getting it all back together, it fired & ran for about 1.5 seconds, then consecutively almost fired, but wouldn’t run. I held down the throttle & again it ran for about 1.5 seconds. I’m guessing the rings r shot & it isn’t able to hold compression.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Without compression it wouldn’t run, sounds odd. Did you try new gas?

aleb
    Butler county Iowa

replace fuel lines?

bsully23
    Pittsville, WI

Yup I tried new gas & plug. It definitely isn’t a ethanol problem, because I run 93 octane non-ethanol gas through my auger. My gas is bought during winter months & premixed at 56:1 using Amsoil Saber Professional with sea foam and sta-bil added to each new mixture. I run it at this mix because it appears to be the richest mix without having excess oil run out of the muffler.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.