Marcum Lx7 – First Impression

• TJ
    Hammond, WI

With all the rage surrounding digital flashers, I took the leap of faith and grabbed an Lx7 last weekend. Not sure what my expectations were but I have to say I wasn’t overly impressed with the unit. Don’t get me wrong, it is cool to have multiple interfaces and a bit more technological control of the unit if you want to take the time to learn but I think my heart lies in the old school indestructible Vexilar FL8.

I’m sure the Lx7 has its place in many people’s hearts and rightfully so. It just isn’t suited for my fishing style as it is quite heavy to carry from hole to hole all day. Just .02 cents from someone who wasn’t blown away by this unit. I think I will stick to mechanical flashers for the time being. So, if anyone is looking or a good deal on an Lx7 with about 8hrs of use, shoot me a PM!

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quite honestly, you should have done your homework….you should have got the LX6…. hole hopping it will blow away your 8… and who knows, maybe your actually hopping out of holes with fish in them…

Geerdes
    Brandon, SD 57005

price? It won’t last long. I have a 6, but would like the camera options.

Egts

Quote:

With all the rage surrounding digital flashers, I took the leap of faith and grabbed an Lx7 last weekend. Not sure what my expectations were but I have to say I wasn’t overly impressed with the unit.

Your gonna get chastised over that comment on this site………….but I agree with you. I opted for the FLX-28 this year and it meets my needs. I haven’t been WOW’d by the LX-7 either. Both are nice units, pick your poison.

TJ
    Hammond, WI

I’m looking to get $575 plus the $15 or so if shipping is needed.

I know I should heave researched more and I’m not saying it is a bad unit. Just saying I prefer the older school mechanical style.

If I can’t sell it, I will keep using it and maybe digital will grow on me. Maybe I just miss the order buzz my fl8 makes while operating

Geerdes
    Brandon, SD 57005

Can buy new for 550, so not interested. Thanks though. Good luck.

taz
    Frederic wi

Your going to have to keep it or come down on your price you can get them new for 535$

TJ
    Hammond, WI

Just trying to get back what I paid…or at least close.

If I can’t do that…I’m fine with keeping it. That is why I’m asking the price I am.

TJ
    Hammond, WI

Quote:

Your going to have to keep it or come down on your price you can get them new for 535$

I’m sure those people still in the market for one of these units would like a link to this price. That is the best price I’ve heard.

dld24

I got my first use with an LX-7 this weekend, my buddy has one he is going to sell…I loved the thing, I like all the different things you can do with it…The target adjust was a nice feature too…I told him I may have to buy it from him haha

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Quote:

Quote:

I’m sure those people still in the market for one of these units would like a link to this price. That is the best price I’ve heard.

I am sure those have to be all sold out at this point..

FDR

TJ
    Hammond, WI

Very understandable…
    I know this unit is the cats for many people. I just figured I would post that the mechanical flashers still have a place to some people. They may be in the minority but they are out there, me being one. Not bashing marcum, just sayin everyone has different tastes.

shaley
    Milford IA

I was also in the not totaly impressed when I got mine when they were released, took 4-5 trips with it but now I cant imagine going back to a mechanical flasher…Takes a bit of time to get it set up to your likings and even with the intial bugs it was nothing an update didnt fix… I like the fact that my first year unit can be as up to date as one sold today….Also took awhile to get used to my HDS units when I went to those, just a learning curve…

TJ
    Hammond, WI

Quote:

Not $535 but close enough. ..

web page

Good price…too bad you can’t add to cart and check out without Issue. Looks a bit shady for my liking but what do I know.

taz
    Frederic wi

Quote:

Quote:

Have a buddy that works for rapala that can get it for this price or you can buy one at reeds for 545$ right now

BBKK
    IA

Reeds has been sold out for a long time.

TJ
    Hammond, WI

I guess when I set my price I wasn’t factoring in discounts people get from buddies who work in the industry. Reeds is out of stock for the season. If they did have them for the great price of $550, what do u think the price is after tax? My guess is $575 ( where do u think I got this one.)

Anyway, this thread is going nowhere fast so this is where I’m out. Lx7 is a cool unit…just not for me. I have one for $575 if anyone is interested.

BBKK
    IA

Reeds charged you (a WI resident) sales tax? I’d be sending them a message to get your money back! That is illegal.

taz
    Frederic wi

Quote:

I guess when I set my price I wasn’t factoring in discounts people get from buddies who work in the industry. Reeds is out of stock for the season. If they did have them for the great price of $550, what do u think the price is after tax? My guess is $575 ( where do u think I got this one.)

Anyway, this thread is going nowhere fast so this is where I’m out. Lx7 is a cool unit…just not for me. I have one for $575 if anyone is interested.

Hey your the one selling it if you want 575$ for it that’s fine. Hope you get your money back on it. All I’m saying is way would anyone pay that for a used one even if it only has 8hr on it when they can get a new one cheaper.

Good luck fishing!!

TJ
    Hammond, WI

They did indeed. $27.50 tax on the receipt. Didn’t know it was illegal at the time!

munchy
    NULL

Quote:

They did indeed. $27.50 tax on the receipt. Didn’t know it was illegal at the time!

Did you pick it up at a store or have it shipped to MN?

Marcum12

I’ve loved my LX-7 from day one. Even with the few little glitches I am having with it. As far as Reeds goes, they have always charged me sales tax to ship to Wisconsin. I didn’t realize it was illegal to do though.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Why would charging out of state sales tax be illegal? Thought that is what they are supposed to do but most do not follow. Now not reporting that you collected that tax and paying it to that state is a big no no. Thats how I thought it worked.

BBKK
    IA

States say you need to pay it, federal says you cannot collect it. Federal trumps state. You technically have to keep track of all your online purchases and cut your state a check for what you spent out of state.

castle-rock-clown

ok price being no issue, for an ultra light weight setup with all the modern features of a digital minus a camera go with the LX6 or LX7 with the lithium battery. if you’re not willing to pay the price for what you really want then your willing to comprimise.

DRH1175

I wasn’t sold on the mechanical flasher either when I bought it. I upgraded to the lx7 last year. I had the same opinion that you have as well. I thought the first handful of outings that I wanted to go back to my 5 or to a fl20 or flx 28. However, I have been using it for a year now and I could not go back. I would like to add a LX6 for hole hoping because yes the 7 is big. But when fishing in a house, the 7 rocks and I can see so much more than I could on my LX5. The unit is just so customizable to your tastes. I like looking at the round dial and seeing only the depth scale I am in. I also love the fact that you can have the full water column all the time displayed instead of half the display. I use the Dial and the vertical zoom, that is how I like it. Now they added a manual dynamic depth in the new 4.07 which allows you to manual select your depth scale by the foot! Awesome! One of the best features of the new digital MarCums is the fact that it will be ever changing with new updates. Something the LX5, Humminbirds or Vexilars can not do, without spending another $500 or $600.

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

I have fl22hd vex and a lx7 marcum. Can use either one and be happy. They both work great. My only problem is when I am fishing outside the shack and the sun is out bright my photo-gray glasses get so dark I have trouble seeing the marks on the lx7. The bright L.E.D.s on the vex, no problem. Anyone else with darkening glasses noticed this. Might be the same way just wearing really dark sunglasses. With prescription glasses I don’t have this option. Anybody else experience this? Both catch fish and I own both so I don’t go along with this one is sooooo much better than the other.

big_g
    Isle, MN

How do you like the graph and the zoom on the vex ??? The 22 is comparable to the LX5…maybe.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.