TUCR Quick-Tip Question

• BBKK
    IA

Not sure if I’m going to be able to squeak it into the budget this year or not, but I’m hoping to! Really would like to get a 36″ QT.

My question, how does it fish? I know, about the most broad and generic question ever.. I’m thinking it might make a good rod for jigging aggressive plastics for crappie, am I too far off on that?

Love my PN but its just a bit slow for jigging aggressively, if you know what I mean.

tmyboy2001
    Lakeville, MN

I have a 32″ QT, but I can’t imagine there would be that much difference, and I love it for jigging plastics and smaller spoons aggressively. I’ve had the most success using it with 1/16 and 1/8 oz Slender Spoons for the more aggressive crappies, perch, and even some walleye. I pistol grip the split grip and keep my middle finger on the base of the blank. I can feel the smallest hit, even when fishing a Ratso or Shrimpo, not to mention seeing the bend of the sensitive tip.

Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

I look forward to seeing the answers. I currently have no TUCr Rods but that should change!

ajw

So are thorne bros rods just garbage now or what? Ive never fished a tucr – would like to but they dont sell just blanks. I really cant imagine a more sensitive rod than a 32″ quiverstick though. Heck i use it as a finesse walleye rod too.

So what makes the tucr so much better?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

So are thorne bros rods just garbage now or what?

I don’t know that I’ve heard anyone say anything bad about Thorne Bros. They make a good rod as do other custom shops. TUCR offers different actions than TB giving anglers choices and it would seem people are enjoying TUCR’s customer service and delivery times on rods ordered. Simple as that.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Not sure if I’m going to be able to squeak it into the budget this year or not, but I’m hoping to! Really would like to get a 36″ QT.

My question, how does it fish? I know, about the most broad and generic question ever.. I’m thinking it might make a good rod for jigging aggressive plastics for crappie, am I too far off on that?

Love my PN but its just a bit slow for jigging aggressively, if you know what I mean.

The QT is a very different rod from the Power Noodle. The Power Noodle would be more similar to the Precision Noodle offered by TUCR, and, as you obviously have noticed or you wouldn’t have posted your question, the Noodles are just too soft at the tip for aggressive jigging of heavier panfish baits.

The QT is designed for exactly the presentation you have in mind. It has a very fine tip with a very fast transition into the backbone of the rod while still having enough “power” in the tip section to work 1/16 oz. baits aggressively. In my opinion the QT is the rod you’re looking for.

Brent Yeakey
    Bloomer, WI

I picked up a Quick Tip this fall. I have never been a feel rod guy, but I love this rod! I have been using it primarily as a crappie setup and am very impressed.

The Quick Tip is even more sensitive than I Imagined, I can feel the super light bites and also an up bite. I was shocked the first time I could actually feel a crappie lift the jig, but it has been my go to crappie rod.

If you have any other questions please let me know!

ajw

Dangit….. looks like im gonna have to break down and order a quicktip now. The action sure sounds nice. Do they do custom handles?
    I had a custom grip made for my quiverstick and love it.

Brent Yeakey
    Bloomer, WI

I would give the boys at Tuned Up a call. I am sure they would be happy to help you out with anything.

That handle does look really cool. I have all of mine made 4 inch straight cork handles. I really like them!

tucrs
    NW Metro

The quicktip was designed as a finesse jigging rod. It is a very good rod for what you are looking for. Most of the questions already have been answered but feel free to call me.

Thank you.

Quote:

Sorry for the thread hijack. Awags – on those sk2 seats, are the carbon spacers epoxied over on each side of the split, or is some sort of cap being used?

I haven’t used it yet, but in my assessment the quicktip is what you might expect if a quiverstick and a walleye MH sweetheart had a baby.

ajw

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry for the thread hijack. Awags – on those sk2 seats, are the carbon spacers epoxied over on each side of the split, or is some sort of cap being used?

I haven’t used it yet, but in my assessment the quicktip is what you might expect if a quiverstick and a walleye MH sweetheart had a baby.

Caps are epoxied on, then thread wrapped where the blank goes through the cap. Very small, light weight grip with lots of areas for direct contact with the blank. I am pleased with it. Im excited to try the quick tip too!

BurlapBrothers
    Kavokian Slough, WI

I just picked up a qt and used it the first time for basically exactly what you are wanting in a rod. Sounds like the qt will be right up your alley for what your looking for.

DankShow
    St. Paul, MN

When I was in the market last year for a new rod- the one main gap in my rods was an UL… I was using an old ugly stick with a very nice spring bobber on it, that worked well for smaller panfish, but I wanted to upgrade to a TUC rod based on all the positive reviews from everyone on here. But then I got in to the thought of do I really need to spend that money on a rod that is covering only 1/4 of the fishing that I actually do.I love and go walleye, whitefish, and pike fishing a lot as well. After talking with Reid and John at TUC, I realized that by getting a QT I wasn’t locking myself in to JUST a panfish rod. This allowed me to justify the purchase a little easier in my mind. I finally got to use it this past weekend on LOW. I paired it with multiple 1/8 spoons for walleye and I loved the feel of even the smallest 7″ saugers. I landed 3 walleyes over 25″ with ease and a bonus pike of 26″. It has plenty of backbone to handle the bigger fish, but with the tip as sensitive as it is- I didn’t miss any of the smaller fish. The one thing I did find out is that I’m not a huge fan of the reel bands. I have the split-grip handle and I do pencil grip my rods. I felt that on a few of the bigger fish the reel was pulling away from the cork… I landed the fish anyways, and they didn’t break- but it was just the feel I didn’t like. And I had 2 bands on each side, so maybe I should try 3 on each side?? But after day 1 of the weekend, I did end up taping it on. Just my ยข.02

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.