Mustache jig from Trigger X

• tripjorgen
    NESD

Wondering what kind of jigs the IDO guys were using with the mustache jig?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I was using the largest size Pug Bug Jig (1/16th Oz.) in Glow Red.

Pug Bug Jig

I think Joel was using a pre-rigged Waxtail in red… but honestly it is hard to pay attention to what your fishing buddy is doing when you’re catching big crappie hand over fist.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

James is right on, Glow Red Waxtail jig in 1/32oz. In testing last year, this was my favorite for most crappie situations, shallow and deep. I experimented in tipping it with a euro or two, but it didn’t seem to trigger them any more than just the plastic. Make sure to snug your knot directly perpendicular to the hook shank and ensure that this bait hangs horizontally. This has been important in the testing I’ve done. Good luck!

Joel

scmelik
    South Dakota

Quote:

James is right on, Glow Red Waxtail jig in 1/32oz. In testing last year, this was my favorite for most crappie situations, shallow and deep. I experimented in tipping it with a euro or two, but it didn’t seem to trigger them any more than just the plastic. Make sure to snug your knot directly perpendicular to the hook shank and ensure that this bait hangs horizontally. This has been important in the testing I’ve done. Good luck!

Joel

I was out catching those same crappies you guys were catching in the episode and this bait was the ticket. The bigger 1.5″ wax tail and almost any jig head I put it on out fished the smaller wax tail at least 2-1.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

Quote:

Joel

I was out catching those same crappies you guys were catching in the episode and this bait was the ticket. The bigger 1.5″ wax tail and almost any jig head I put it on out fished the smaller wax tail at least 2-1.

Funny you say that. For crappies, I found the exact same thing. 1/32 oz or nothing for the most part. That said, the smaller sizes were much more preferred when testing on bluegills. Glad to hear you shared the same bite and the same successes on the same baits!

Joel

tripjorgen
    NESD

Thanks a lot guys. Order placed on some new tackle. Can’t wait to get on those slabs!

scmelik
    South Dakota

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Joel

Funny you say that. For crappies, I found the exact same thing. 1/32 oz or nothing for the most part. That said, the smaller sizes were much more preferred when testing on bluegills. Glad to hear you shared the same bite and the same successes on the same baits!

Joel

a few weeks ago the smaller one was the ticket for deep water perch. I have used a bunch of different plastics in the past few years and I haven’t found a plastic that performed better than the Trigger X plastic.

It was a great bite yesterday, was even able to get my mom out for her first experience on catching crappies. Merry Christmas everyone!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.