Need new boots

• scmelik
    South Dakota

Well my 20 year old Hodgmens finally died on me yesterday, after many patch jobs and lots of shoe goo they leak to much and yesterday my feet were SOAKED by the end of the day so I am now shopping for new boots.

I have read many threads on here and different boards about boots and which ones are “best” but I still don’t know what to buy. I want a pair of boots that are light yet will keep me warm, I generally struggling keeping my toes warm but as I am getting older they are starting to stay warmer (might be because the rest of my gear is getting better at keeping me warm). I thought about getting a pair of Mickey boots but they are to dang heavy. These will be strickly ice fishing boats and not used for anything else. I am not going to pick a pair of boots based of price but rather based off quality and fitting my needs.

I have been looking at the Baffin Impacts, Lacrosse 7mm AeroHeads, Ice Armor Glacier Pass, any others I should look at?

Ekez

Take a looks at Irish setter pac boots. Water proof and 2000 gram. Also made by red wing which is IMO the best boot company in the business.

fishinfool
    mn

If price is not an problem, I bought a pair of Irish Setter boots from Red Wing Co. They are 2000mg thinsulate with a gel pad in the sole that helps to keep your feet warm .
    I paid $215 for them, they are light as a feather and waterproof. very impressed and I bet my feet don’t get cold, I am going out today for some fishing today and will be able to get a feel for them.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’ll throw a known winner out there. Lacrosse Iceman.
    Or even the Leather Pine Top which I have. Both are a tad smaller that their Ice Kings. All 3 are great ice fishing boots.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Irish Setter. One of the few that still use leather and goretex.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Quote:

I’ll throw a known winner out there. Lacrosse Iceman.
    Or even the Leather Pine Top which I have. Both are a tad smaller that their Ice Kings. All 3 are great ice fishing boots.

I have Lacrosse and love them, however they are older. I have heard some bad reviews as far as quality on the ones made in the last few years, poor eyelets/d-rings etc…since production has gone overseas. Anyone have new ones that can confirm or deny this?

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

As strictly a “stand still on ice” boot, the Icemans and similar double-lined boots would be where I’d look.

But if, like me, you need a boot that you can actually walk in, the Icemans impress me as too heavy and too bulky.

Grouse

to_setter
    Stone Lake, WI

I just got a pair of the Baffin Impact’s but haven’t had them out on the ice yet. I can chime in with a review after this weekend as I’ll be fishing Friday through Monday.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

My personal favorite and lighter pack boot is Sorel Caribou. Walking distances has never been an issue.
    I know I’m old school but I like the ability to remove the felt liners and quickly dry my boots overnight. Until they let me down I’ll probably always use felt lined pack boots.

toxic11

I have used Mickey Mouse shows. $40 on eBay and they actually work great.

Quintin Biermann
    Webster, South Dakota

The mickey mouse boots are super warm, I own a pair but they are the heaviest boots I have ever worn. I personally like MUCK brand boots. Big enough to put a pair of wool socks on and have not had any issues. With the rubber style you never have an issue with water or slush. Just my two cents – QB

scmelik
    South Dakota

Thanks guys I am going to take a look at those Irish Setters. How do they typically run for sizes? I wear an 11, 11.5 in almost everything will a 12 give me enough room for a good pair of wool socks?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

If I were you I’d look at the Baffin Apex. The leather upper will likely last much longer and be much more water and ice resistant.

Mine are an older pair with a leather upper, not sure on the model, but highly recommend them.

shaley
    Milford IA

My favorite is the Ice Jams by Merrill, but go to a store and try them on, Keen also makes a nice boot but cant remeber what it was called….

jfs62
    Southeast WI

This will be my 3rd year wearing Baffin Boots. Couldn’t be more satisfied. Reasonable price and I think well worth the investment. For ice fishing I wear the 100% rubber exterior Huntsman series Titan boots. Keep the feet plenty warm and can stand in slush/water for hours and not leak. Pair them with some Kahtoola micro spikes and your set for pretty much anything on the ice.

Paul Delaney

Spending most of the winter months on the ice I spend all my time wearing The Saskatchewan Pak boots from Cabelas.These boots were actually originaly used by many who ran the alaskan Iditorod dog race. I just bought my second pair of them after using the heck out of them for the past 6 or 7 years and I can honestly say that never once have I ever had cold feet. The boots are large and they look like they could be very heavy but they are very light and very comfortable to wear all day long with out feeling like you are dragging around a boat anchor.

Paul Delaney
    http://www.lateeyessportfishing.com

scmelik
    South Dakota

thanks for all of the suggestions guys. I ended up ordering a pair of Irish Setter Snow Claw XTs. For the price I hope they are as good as the reviews say.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.