Walleye recipes

• iceisnice
    NULL

Seen that after pic of the walleye fry after pic and was curious of how people prepare their walleye for the feast. I know this might be one of those ” if I tell you I will have to kill you” type things but thought I would give it a shot. The past couple fish I have fried I have used the shore lunch beer batter but kinda don’t like the amount of batter that gets on the fillets. I think my favorite way is fillets dipped in milk then in a seasoned flour. Heard of the corn meal recipe but never tried it, heard it’s pretty good!

tbrooks11

Personally, I like to dip my fillets in milk, then completely cover them in a 50/50 mix of flour and yellow corn meal. Top with a little lawry’s and blackened seasoning. Then fry them with some canola oil or olive oil. Cant be beat! Actually about to light up the the stove now and fry up some sauger fillets!

eyehuntr14
    SE WI

Our latest “favorite” has been fillets dipped in egg/milk then 50/50 Andy’s seasoning and Townhouse Flipside crackers. Most Walmart’s carry the Andys and the crackers can be switched out to whatever crackers….started this recipe with Ritz!!!

EH14

duke.harbaugh

Cracker breading after dipping them in egg then bake them. No fryer mess or smell.

finman

Spray the fillets with spray butter, put on the George Foreman grill for about 5 minutes, a little salt and pepp, garlic toast and lettuce salad. A person can eat waaaay more fish this way, without the breading or oil. I just like the flavor of the fish by itself.

eyehuntr14
    SE WI

Gonna give “finman’s” recipe a shot……

iceisnice
    NULL

Yeah finmans sounds interesting. I tried walleye in tin foil with butter on the grill and it was a disaster so haven’t tried with out breading since then.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Flour, egg bath, panko crumbs mixed with your choice of seasoning, I like some Lawry’s, garlic powder, cayenne. Crispy and delicious!

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

Fresh walleye gets baked. Melt a tbs or two of butter in a casserole dish. Put the fillet skin side down. Brush the top side with melted butter. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and dill. Cover each fillet with a couple thin slices lemon. Cook for 6-8 minutes at whatever is the hottest temp ur oven can get to (500+ degrees).

Serve with garlic dill sauce…

Mix a half cup of sour cream with a quarter cup mayo. Add a crushed crushed clove of garlic, a tbs of dried dill, a tbs of lemon juice, and a pinch of sugar and salt. Add a splash of milk to loosen it up. Sauce is best if it sits for a couple hours.

tbrooks11

Finmans recipe is a poor mans blackened walleye. Its a little bit of a pain, but i love melting some butter, dipping each filet in the butter, then sprinkle on blackening seasoning, salt, pepper, and lawrys. Then, over the stop put in a tad of oil just to keep it from smoking, and sear the filet. Very, very good.

tripjorgen
    NESD

I’m a big fan dipping in eggs then in crushed ritz crackers. The fish get a little buttery flavor from the crackers.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Slightly damp fillets, put them in a gallon ziplock with Zatirains, shake well to coat and deep fry, simple fast and a very light coating.

I do not care for most wet batters since they get thick or greasy.

Although Chuck Wagon wet batter is pretty good as long as it’s thin and only lightly coated.

tbrooks11

oh yeah, i like to toss some filets in a ziploc baggy with some olive oil if im feelings too lazy to dip them all in butter. Much quicker and easier, very little difference in taste… a loooot healthier too!

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

3 bowls… One with milk, one with seasoned flour, and one with beat eggs. Dip in milk, dredge in flour, dip in egg. Then toss in a Ziploc bag full of instant mashed potatoes. Taste and texture are fantastic!!

jsrevermann
    Central MN

I cut my fish down into bite sized pieces and put them in a bowl with beer. I don’t let them in very long, just long enough to mix the batter and for the deep fryer to get hot.

I mix a 50/50 dry batter with flour and the complete pancake mix.

I also add in seasoning salt, black pepper, and sometimes some lemon pepper to your taste.

The dry pancake mix already has all the milk and egg and stuff in it that most other people like to dip their fish in. Gives it a nice texture.

Put the moist fillets in the dry batter mix and shake like others.

Then deep fry and enjoy.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

We just had some walleye caught this past fall. No batter, just some butter and lemon juice in the pan, cook a few minutes on each side and done. The fish just flakes apart and taste fantastic!
    I love batter but only do it about 25% of the time.
    We do this a lot with panfish as well, Just butter or olive oil and some lemon pepper. Load up the plate and open a bottle of wine.

henny
    Prescott, WI

I use it with northern but have done it with walleye also. Fillet walleye or northern then fillet them in half so they are thinner and easier to roll. Stuff them with a mixture of ricotta and parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning roll up and bake till almost done then top with mozzarella cheese and marinara sauce and finish. You can do big rolls or smaller bite size as appetizers. Use toothpick to hold smaller ones together or pack them in dish tight to hold together.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.