Show Idea

• scmelik
    South Dakota

I am sure you guys don’t need anymore ideas for shows but as I was sitting on the lake today getting my butt royally kicked (again) I had an idea pop into my head that I know I could benefit from and I am sure others could as well.

I would love to see you guys pick a random lake in either SD, MN, WI that you have never fished, never been too and give some good instruction on how you would attack that lake which ever species you would like (gills/crappies, perch, eyes). Show us the lake map and which area you would immediately rule out and which areas you would focus on. Then go out and actually hit those areas and see how it turns out. If you catch fish great, if not thats okay.

I know you kind of did a show like this a few years ago but it was a lake that you knew and you knew where the fish were likely to be. I would love to see how you study the maps and decide where to start on a totally unfamiliar lake with no prior knowledge of the bite.

Chippman
    Chippewa County, Wi

awesome idea very interesting.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Funny I PM’ed James with a similar idea. I asked for graphics/visuals of the contours they are fishing and anything other that would be pertinent such as bottom composition, weed lines and transitions of those 2 in relation to the pattern they found.

And I am not talking about an actual map showing the spot they fished, just a diagram that shows what they are fishing.

scmelik
    South Dakota

Quote:

Funny I PM’ed James with a similar idea. I asked for graphics/visuals of the contours they are fishing and anything other that would be pertinent such as bottom composition, weed lines and transitions of those 2 in relation to the pattern they found.

And I am not talking about an actual map showing the spot they fished, just a diagram that shows what they are fishing.

yup i could careless what lake they choose, could be a lake i fish, could be a lake I have never heard of, whats important is the idea. The guys do an awesome job with passing on their knowledge while they are on the ice, I would love to hear the knowledge that they draw from before they hit the ice.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Do a search throungh the old ice fishing posts.. If I remember correctly, Joel Nelson did a great seminar on that. I think for a show, it would be hard to pull in all the detail and explinations. I’m a fan of “a day on the water” where bass pros go to a lake they never fished.. down part of those shows during a bust trip is explaining why. Not the short answer of didn’t get on them, but where they should have been or what to do differently.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

The Next Bite and Angling Edge have some really good graphics on lake map contours, structure they are fishing, etc. Not that every show can throw a lot of money into graphics such as these, but something to aspire for hopefully especially since over half of people are visual learners. Its still a great show and enjoy it much.

katmando
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

There’s a show on WFN called “lost lake” which is exactly what your asking for

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

If I remember right, I think the basin fishing show last year had graphics. I think he also may have had some when he fished some “flowage” in Wisconsin.

They usually explain the spot they are fishing, but reinforcing it with visuals would be cool.

Here’s an idea. If you don’t put them in the show, put some up on the site as supplemental information, you know, drive people to the site!

scmelik
    South Dakota

Quote:

Do a search throungh the old ice fishing posts.. If I remember correctly, Joel Nelson did a great seminar on that. I think for a show, it would be hard to pull in all the detail and explinations. I’m a fan of “a day on the water” where bass pros go to a lake they never fished.. down part of those shows during a bust trip is explaining why. Not the short answer of didn’t get on them, but where they should have been or what to do differently.

I agree it would be hard to get a lot of explanation into a 30 min show, James did it once before for crappies I believe on Cass and it had some awesome information. I would love to see him do it for walleyes on a body of water he has never laid eyes on, just by looking at the map and explaining why he would choose certain areas and how he would go about targeting those fish.

It might be something that is very hard if not darn near impossible for the guys to do I am not sure.

scmelik
    South Dakota

Quote:

There’s a show on WFN called “lost lake” which is exactly what your asking for

I don’t have any sort of cable (not even an antenna, call me cheap) so I only have what I can find on youtube. There are guys that explain it but and joker can put a video on youtube so who knows if they know what they are talking about.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Quote:

If I remember right, I think the basin fishing show last year had graphics. I think he also may have had some when he fished some “flowage” in Wisconsin.

They usually explain the spot they are fishing, but reinforcing it with visuals would be cool.

Here’s an idea. If you don’t put them in the show, put some up on the site as supplemental information, you know, drive people to the site!

That’s exactly what I was thinking Pug, screen shots of what the spot looks like on a map etc… “More information on this bite available on InDepthOutdoors.com”

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I hope they heed our suggestion. Hopefully it isn’t a lot of work and it isn’t, “Great one more thing I have to do”.

To be honest I start getting bored of watching guys pull up fish, even if they are discussing tactics and location. A 10 – 20 second grap[hic would go a long way with me personally. Yeah, I know it doesn’t seem like much, but it would be worth a lot IMHO.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Love this thread. All good suggestions. Never hesitate to throw out ideas, the ones we keep hearing again and again just might become reality.

Similar to what Randy mentioned, it’s difficult to make a show that results in poor fishing. We’ve got quite a bit of footage of that over the years! Personally, we’ve filmed quite a few gill/crappie bites that never materialized. Big fish in there, lots of them. Fresh survey data doesn’t lie. Couldn’t find them or didn’t bite well that day. Our kitchen passes expired and that was our try. While the die-hards like ourselves would love to see and learn from the process, I get the feeling that your avg. fisherman tuning in wouldn’t respond as well to it? That could just be my assumption.

What Randy referenced was a seminar I did a few years ago at Thorne Bros. detailing how to pick out high percentage lakes and spots given a host of digital reconnaissance methods. Much of that has been incorporated into previous shows, but there’s always more we could do. The technology has changed!

Either way, I love the suggestions, keep ’em coming!

Joel

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Not that the Ido staff isnt a bunch of handsome fellas, but maybe a lil eye candy never hurts a show.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Not that the Ido staff isnt a bunch of handsome fellas, but maybe a lil eye candy never hurts a show.

Don, why wasn’t I invited!!!

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Quote:

Quote:

She’ll be drilling the holes for us on White Bear Saturday. (There might be a joke there)

DeanoB
    Historic Mantorville

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

She’ll be drilling the holes for us on White Bear Saturday. (There might be a joke there)

Reminds me of this slogan I saw on a box truck this morning. It was an excavating company and their slogan was “Your hole is our Goal”

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Hmm, maybe I can tick Michelle off on Friday so I can skip the Christmas party on Saturday.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

The Next Bite and Angling Edge have some really good graphics on lake map contours, structure they are fishing, etc. Not that every show can throw a lot of money into graphics such as these, but something to aspire for hopefully especially since over half of people are visual learners. Its still a great show and enjoy it much.

Actually we include map graphics frequently when they relate to the day’s fishing. The last two shows we fished flat, featureless basins with such subtle depth changes that there would really be very little to show.

I’d also like guys to remember that we edit our shows in 30 hours to keep them current. 30. Hours. The shows listed above take 8 – 10 MONTHS to edit the same 28:30 program. Oh what we could do if we were willing to sacrifice episode delivery in the same week for the time to add a graphic or two.

But that brings us to this coming Sunday’s show from up on Lake of the Woods. Expect graphics because they’re critical to conveying the fish movements and our attempts to keep up with them.

Thanks for the show ideas guys. I appreciate them. Please do remember that we don’t plan shows or bend a day on the water to fit a preconceived script. We take what the day and the fish give us and film it. Nothing more. Nothing less. We could “create” show topics ’til the cows come home. But that’s neither authentic or compatible with releasing shows in the same week they’re filmed.

KP
    Hudson, WI

Love that the shows are filmed with in the same week James!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.