castration rings to hold reels on rods…..

• cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

Is there an old thread with tips to placing the castration rings onto your ice rod?? I have them on 4 rods and they work great to hold reels in place…can’t for the life of me remember how I got them on there….

Chris Raymond
    Keweenaw Peninsula, MI

The ones from Cold Snap have a small funnel type thing whereas some folks use the plier device used by farmers.

cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

Thanks everyone….just needed to have my ingenious wife help me and she made a funnel out of a thin plastic cutting board and worked slick….Used electrical tape for many years and worked well but I do like the rings….

Chris Beeksma

Chris Raymond
    Keweenaw Peninsula, MI

Quote:

Thanks everyone….just needed to have my ingenious wife help me and she made a funnel out of a thin plastic cutting board and worked slick….Used electrical tape for many years and worked well but I do like the rings….

Chris Beeksma

FWIW, I’ve used the rings for a couple of years and am now considering going to tape for the seatless sticks.

I used the cold snap / castration bands for a year. They deform the cork over time, so I went back to silicone tape. I’ve got thorne DH and TUC rods all showing permanent signs of banding.

fisherman-andy

Quote:

I used the cold snap / castration bands for a year. They deform the cork over time, so I went back to silicone tape. I’ve got thorne DH and TUC rods all showing permanent signs of banding.

Yeap the these ring bands will definitely deteriorate and wear out the cork. Not sure on EVA and Syncork yet. If you got carbon fiber graphite handles your good!

I been experimenting with thin velcro wraps and tennis handle wraps. Otherwise it may be back to using Frabill reel wraps or the 3M silicone electrical tape.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

The self sealing Silicone tape(same thing as the Frabil reel wrap) works really well for me…With no adhesive it comes off my cork handle without leaving any sticky residue…+ it’s relatively cheap..

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

Fishing buddy uses horse wrap on his open water rods
    to make a softer grip.
    Maybe would work for this as well?

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Quote:

Fishing buddy uses horse wrap on his open water rods
    to make a softer grip.
    Maybe would work for this as well?

I use this too on my Ice rod. it’s call Coban and also made by 3m. I use the 1 inch wide banding. Comes in lots of colors too.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

I use this too on my Ice rod. it’s call Coban and also made by 3m. I use the 1 inch wide banding. Comes in lots of colors too.

Interesting looking stuff…
    I’ll have to see if I get it locally….

Thanks life

BBKK
    IA

Any pharmacy will have it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.