Need a new shack. HELP!!!

• tripjorgen
    NESD

I am in the market for a good shack. As of now I am a clam guy. I’m looking at the Jason Mitchell thermal x. Guys I work with like the frabill predators. Otter is also an option, I just don’t know if I have the $$$. The guys at work say the Clam sleds aren’t good and the 1 1/4 poles aren’t very big. I looked at the predators and they look the same, I do not care for the shape of the sled in the frabills. I noticed otters sled had the square tubing but again it didn’t notice it being much bigger then The Jason Mitchell. I want an insulated shack that’s why I’m picking these 3. I like the otters fabric but I’m wondering if the clam or frabil is just as warm. Any thoughts please let me know. I need some opinions.

duke.harbaugh

Otter. Poles are stronger, sled is way more durable and bigger, and they are made to take the abuse that we put on them year after year. Its way worth the extra money IMO

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Quote:

Otter. Poles are stronger, sled is way more durable and bigger, and they are made to take the abuse that we put on them year after year. Its way worth the extra money IMO

X2
    Square poles and there tubs can’t be beat!

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

If you can afford it go with the Otter, you will not regret it, but they are $$$$$. I really like the side doors idea that Frabill has also.

duke.harbaugh

The side door idea is a good idea but from the way it sounds Frabill has some more work to do with the poles for that. A huge lack of frame support on the side walls. Non the less great idea. But with all new things give them a year to perfect their product. I for one don’t want to have to pay to be a guinea pig. JMHO otter doesn’t need to try and reinvent their product to sell them quality sells.

tripjorgen
    NESD

I don’t care for the side doors either on the frabill. It seems like a lack in structural support. Where I am at in NESD the wind can pick up in a hurry. Does anybody have or fished from a Jason Mitchell, and does the full insulation really make that big of difference?

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote: “The guys at work say the Clam sleds aren’t good and the 1 1/4 poles aren’t very big.”

I’d find a new job…. guys at work aren’t too smart… they seem to over articulate in their opinions… CLAM sleds = BAD…. 1 1/4 poles are… well 1 1/4. Your post made me laugh Hope I helped you do the same !!

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

My vote is Otter, I have the Pro Cabin 900 and love it. The insulation on the Clam doesn’t even come close. Frabill would be my second choice.

duke.harbaugh

I have fished out of one and they are a nice shack. The clips on the poles are a questionable system. But the seats are comfy. The bait buckets are pretty nice as well. I can’t speak for the durability as it was basically brand new when I fished out if it.

Paul Delaney

This is really a decision that is yours and what is going to best fit your needs. By collecting as much info as you can before making an investment which I am sure you want for many years to come is very smart. I guide on the ice of Green Bay which ha some of the most brutal ice conditions out there and I have been fishing out of Otter Ice houses for many years and I can say that I have been completely satisfied 100 percent. The sleds are the toughest on the market and will not break or crack under any conditions or temperatures along with the ease of setting them up thanks to the easy slide square tubing along with the super tough insulated fabric which is completely wind and water proof and holds heat incredibly. By having many years and hundreds of days fishing on the ice in some of the most brutal conditions I can insure that you would be completely satisfied with your purchase of an Otter Ice House. Good luck Fishing.

Paul Delaney
    http://www.lateeyessportfishing.com

Steve Thompson
    Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Long time Otter owner here…. I bought my first Otter II Cabin in 1997 and I finally retired it this year. 16 seasons on the ice and zero problems.

Since I decided it was time to treat myself to a new shelter/sled, I did my homework. I looked at all the major brands and models and had narrowed it down to two shelters that I felt fit my needs. The JM Thermal X and the Otter XT1200 Cabin. Below is a comparison of price, size, area and weight.

Jason Mitchell X Thermal

• Price: $829

• Collasped Size: 72″ x 45″ x 25″

• Setup Size: 72″ x 92″ x 75″

• Fishable Area 27 Sq. Ft.

• Weight: 110 lbs

Otter Pro XT1200 Cabin

• Price: $849

• Collasped Size: 66″ x 36″ x 20″

• Setup Size: 66″ x 84″ x 70.5″

• Fishable Area 22 Sq. Ft.

• Weight: 103 lbs

For a brief period, I was considering the Clam X2 Thermal until I read the weight in their catalog… 140 lbs ! Ouch

The other two models are very similar. While the JM Thermal X had more bells and whistles (light bar, basic console, battery tray and twin bait wells, the overall quality of the Otter stood out. I was really torn until I sat down and talked with the owner of a local bait and tackle shop.

He carries all the major brands, so we talked about the various model, then I shared with him which models I had narrowed it down too. Two things stood out from our conversations. The first was the shape of the front of the sled. The Otter has a sloped front and large radius to the bottom and the JM Thermal has a flat front with a small radius to the bottom. He said pulling the Clam in snow takes much more effort, more like plowing snow.

But, it’s the comment he made about quality that hit me… He commented that of all the portables he’s sold over the last couple of decades, he’s not had one Otter come back because of damage to the sled. Ice conditions can be brutal on the sleds, and he commented that he’s had more Clams come back because of cracked sleds than any other brand. That sold me right there.

However, it still boils down to personal preference. What are your needs? Size? Weight? Cost? Do what feels right for you and not what someone else thinks you should have. For me, the Otter fit my needs…..

And as for the bells and whistles, the oxymoron is that I picked up the Clam light bars, battery tray and bait well and added them to my Otter.

I’m probably going to ice fishing hell for that one… Hopefully it’s froze over!

big_g
    Isle, MN

If you sell 100 Clam sleds and 8 crack and you sell 10 Otters and 1 cracks, which has a higher failure rate ???

tripjorgen
    NESD

Thanks for all the help. I was sitting in the shacks today and was kind of leaning towards the x650 cabin just because it was more in my price range. I’m not sure if I need the fully insulated. I had a Eskimo quick flip for years and never had a problem. I just don’t like the bench. Is that standard or could I get the x650 with the boat seats

tripjorgen
    NESD

Does anybody know how much warmer the shacks are ( predator, otter, or clam) compared to each other. I for sure want a thermal cap.

Bryan Myers

My vote would have to be for the Otter. The square tube aluminum frame of the Otters are very light but strong and have always slid easily for me. The fabric is second to none in my opinion. The sewn and quilted insulated shell is incredible. The one thing I know about insulation is the less the insulation is compressed, the more effective it is, which is where the sewn quilting shines. When it’s sewn it is only compressed a little more than the threads worth, which means more insulation and less heat needed to stay warm-even in the extreme cold. There are many days when I don’t even use the heater or I hardly run it because my Otter holds heat in so well. A new shack is a big purchase which is the reason I would recommend an Otter. They are built to last and perform flawlessly for years. Good luck with your decision!

Steve Thompson
    Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Quote:

I don’t care for the side doors either on the frabill. It seems like a lack in structural support. Where I am at in NESD the wind can pick up in a hurry. Does anybody have or fished from a Jason Mitchell, and does the full insulation really make that big of difference?

Trip… Yes, our SD winds can be majorly brutal which is why I went with the Otter XT1200. I’ve ice fished Lake Thompson for nearly 20 years so I know what those winds and temps can be like. I fished out of the buddies Otter 600 thermal last year and what a difference compared to my older Otter. I’m looking forward to trying out my new XT1200 now. The temps and winds this coming Friday and Saturday will put it to test. -25 forecast for Saturday morning with 10-25mph winds.

tripjorgen
    NESD

Yeah. I am going to try to get to the ice show in the cities this weekend. No fishing for me. I hear you can get some awesome deals at the ice show

travis-dewitt
    Alexandria, MN

I recently purchased the Clam X2 Thermal and absolutely LOVE it. I was on Upper Red over the weekend and had my heater shut off most of the time due to the full thermal insulation. The light bar that came with it was a very nice bonus when night time rolled around and we were still pulling eyes through the ice! I’ve fished out of the Otters and never really cared for the seats a whole lot, I always felt that they were leaning foreword a little, maybe its just me. I like how comfortable the seats in the X2 are and the generous space inside. The light colored inside of the sled is rather nice as well, its much easier to locate all of the things I manage to lose inside of those big sleds. It is a rather heavy house though, I pulled mine with a wheeler and it did take 2 guys to put in the back of the truck. I personally wouldn’t attempt to pull it by hand, but then again, I’m not the biggest guy.
    Regardless, whether you go with the Clam, Otter, or Frabil, you will be happy.

jake-bohnsack
    Wright County Area

Lots of good posts already.. NOT going to repeat. All I can say is that the thermal insulation on the Otter’s is awesome and the small square thermal on the clam, does not allow moisture to get out…the squarees are too small. Check out the thermal on the otter, insulated no different than your “attic” basically. Having sold many of these houses at shows, I get to hear all the info from consumers…I have at least 10 people a show come up to me and say the Otter was the best purchase they made. Yes, you are going to pay a little bit more them but if you take care of them, you will never need to buy another one. As my dad always told me “You get what you pay for”. Do not get me wrong, they all are great houses, however I think the Otter is built stronger and better.

Good luck fishin’

Jake

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Look for a used Otter Wild cabin in black camo. Will be under $400 and a nice house.

tripjorgen
    NESD

Anybody ever fish out of a frabill insulated guardian? How does that compare to the rest. I know Otter is far superior but the $$ may be too much for me.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.