Early December Walleyes on the Ice!

• poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Catching those first walleyes of the year through the ice is truly something special, and doing it with good buddies by your side makes it even better. There is no better place to do this than Red Lake the first week it is fishable. To us, it required little thought as to where we would go to catch lots of great walleyes all day long. The ice was thick, our gear was ready and it was time.

We hit the ice and were drilling holes in the dark. Even when fishing around home I love to be set up in the dark with all the holes drilled awaiting for the first big mark to come in on the Marcum. There are a lot of times when that first fish comes in is a giant. I consider these bonus fish as most other guys are still getting out or drilling holes. Fishing proceeded to be very good the entire day with all of the fish between 17 and 21 inches. Mornings from the 7 to 930 hours were best but there was a lot of consistency throughout the day.

Shallow water fishing is what I have done for a long time. Just like back home we were in 7 to 8 feet of water for these aggressive fish. There are a lot of similarities between different bodies of water when fishing shallow. First and foremost, the stealth approach pays huge dividends. As I mentioned earlier, getting set up early is important. Especially with no snow on the ice, noise radiates through the ice with easy. Secondly, these fish will eat. Under descent conditions, every fish you mark will likely hit. They are shallow for a reason and have a huge advantage because they can push around bait with ease. They know this and so should you. Be ready, and jig hard to attract these fish in. With an aggressive bait, it is common that you wont even mark them on your sonar, and that is fun!! Moreover, during your peak times of the day you could use a Swiss army knife as a lure and these fish would hit it, but from 10 till 3 or so you need to get loud. VMC makes an awesome new rattle spoon. Put this thing to work. Jig hard. Period. If your not knocking your minnow head off the treble hooks every 5 minutes your not jigging hard enough. There are just a few things that I notice are similar when fishing multiple bodies of water in the shallow depths.

Red Lake is not known for monsters but every single fish we got was 17 to 21 inches and they are thick which is a great sign. One monster was lost at the hole, which is common in shallow water. When it happens, (and it will) put it behind ya and try to catch another one. I always say if I land 70% of the fish I hook in shallow water I’m doing good. That percentage goes down drastically as the fish get bigger.
    If you have this weekend off, I would recommend getting up here. From my experience, more east on the lake was better than south but that can change daily. Stay safe on the ice, especially with the snow coming!

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Thanks for the update Grant. That early season shallow water bite is just awesome!

I think I figured out what could make you an even better ice fisherman though… You need to grow a big bushy beard like your friends in that picture

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

I got nothin Will LOL. Maybe Santa will bring me some rogaine for my non existent beard

Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

Great Write-up and fish. Don’t worry I cannot grow a beard either. But I fish with a few Grizzly Adams.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Great post Grant! Nice fish

tucrs
    NW Metro

I am so jealous. So when is the fish fry??

Also you are going to have to share some of those secrets at the St. Paul Ice Show.

dld24

Grant so was the fishing much better out of westwind than rogers resort?? We went out of Rogers and only caught 11 eyes all day saturday and sunday…Pretty much every fish we saw hit, but we weren’t seeing much fish.. Lots of dink perch…We were at Rogers when you and your buddies were saturday night when the drunk guy was telling his story for 100th time lol…

dvocelka32
    Duluth, MN

glad the day worked out for you guys! it’s awesome that you made it out before the snowfall hit us and made it a little tougher to get out there. Keep the posts coming!!

swlund
    Cuba City, WI

Nice fish. Good info also. Thanks

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Quote:

Grant so was the fishing much better out of westwind than rogers resort?? We went out of Rogers and only caught 11 eyes all day saturday and sunday…Pretty much every fish we saw hit, but we weren’t seeing much fish.. Lots of dink perch…We were at Rogers when you and your buddies were saturday night when the drunk guy was telling his story for 100th time lol…

Was that you on the wall with Tuned up sweatshirt on? haha.
    HAHA that kid was a wreck. Made for some funny stories the next day tho!! lol

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

And yeah, we were averaging 40 plus fish a day up north more. If i went 20 minutes without having a fish hit, something was drastically wrong.

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Quote:

glad the day worked out for you guys! it’s awesome that you made it out before the snowfall hit us and made it a little tougher to get out there. Keep the posts coming!!

Thank you! Yeah i feel our timing was perfect. The ice was solid and we were easily able to drive a wheeler and trailer out on the ice. From what i understand now, that is not the case lol. At least we know there is a solid 10 inches at least under all of that snow that northern MN is getting.

dld24

Quote:

Quote:

Was that you on the wall with Tuned up sweatshirt on? haha.
    HAHA that kid was a wreck. Made for some funny stories the next day tho!! lol

Ya that was me, he was telling that story a few times before you got there lol…It was funny when you were showing him that picture of that big walleye and he didn’t believe you…Wasted people are some good entertainment

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.