Used Flashers

• tbrooks11

Hello Everyone, hope everyone is doing well… it’s been awhile since I have lasted posted.

I am looking to possibly buy a used flasher online, but I have a really low spending budget (College Probs). I look on Ebay, Craigslist, and other online auction sites looking for the best deals. I have just gotten into ice fishing so I am not too familiar with flashers at all. I know the most common makers like Vexilar, Humminbird, and Marcum, but I don’t know any of the models or anything. I have also had a though time trying to figure out how old some of the flashers are just from the pictures.

Are there any hints anyone might have to tell how relatively new/old it is by just looking at the picture (other than just saying, that looks old)?

Any ideas/tips would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
    Have a great day… oh, and GO PACK GO

Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

Your base line flashers FL-8, LX-3, Ice 35, and Showdown will be cheapest but not necessarily the best value. If the seller can give you the serial number then you should be able to find out the age. You cannot go wrong with any of the models above especially on a budget and limited experience. Another option is to find local anglers to fish with. I was lucky enough to use a number of extra flashers before making my decision. Allowed me to buy at the end of my first season. Also, the market will tell you what is cheap. For example, if most of the FL-8s are +/- $225 and one is $150 there might be a reason for this. Be prepared to buy a new battery. Even if it is just for back up.

Steve Thompson
    Sioux Falls, South Dakota

I would agree with Frenchman, however personally I would stick with the FL-8 or LX-3 as the base flasher model and upgrade from there. I’m not as familiar with the Ice-35 and not a fan of the Showdown. You will find lot of advice on this board on using these flashers.

Vexilar has more models than Marcum when it comes to flasher, but both are great companies with good products. As frenchman mentioned, get the serial number if you can and then call either Vexilar or Marcum and they’ll be able to give you the age.

Keep in mind that age is not always a factor. I’ve seen new flasher units that have more miles on them then some older units. One of the great thing with a flasher is that they can be sent into the factory for a “Service Tuneup”. Marcum charges a flat $79 and I believe Vexilar still quotes repair once they receive it.

Steve Thompson

I did forget to mention that Vexilar has re-conditioned units on their website for sale. There is an FL-8 Pro Pack listed for $289. http://vexilar.com/products/reconditioned.php

I’m sure Marcum may have re-conditioned units, but you may have to call them.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Does anyone remember the Zircom Clearwater classic? I have one in the garage. It’s monotone, I thinkis what it’s called(gray scale) It shows the depth,your bait and fish.
    I’ll hook it up today and see if it works.
    Might be willing to part with it.

Steve Thompson

The Zercom Clearwater Classic was a very widely sold unit in their day. Zercom was bought out by Hummingbird I believe back in the late 90’s, so if you needed repair, you had to go through Hummingbird. According to the Hummingbird website, the Clearwater Classic is no longer serviceable due to lack of available parts.

http://www.humminbird.com/Faq.aspx?ContentId=3229

Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

Doesn’t marcum still make the vx-1?

I think new they are around $250 online?

Geerdes
    Brandon, SD 57005

Quote:

Does anyone remember the Zircom Clearwater classic? I have one in the garage. It’s monotone, I thinkis what it’s called(gray scale) It shows the depth,your bait and fish.

Have one, still works. My son has it is Rice Lake and his girlfriend has used it.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

I have one, they work just fine. Don’t use it anymore but with the right transducer it will show the bottom, your jig, and any fish with very good sensitivity!

It was never a real popular unit from zercom, their colorpoint was the popular one. The colorpoint is just a basic single color motor driven flasher.

There is no reason at all for you to buy a “basic unit” to start with unless money is super tight. What is the purpose of buying a cheap unit for $250 that will last one season before you sell it for a loss and upgrade? Might as well spend a few more bucks and pick up a used lx-5 for around $350.

But if you want to buy new, the marcum vx-1p is a very good unit for around $270 shipped to your door. Much much much much better unit than a fl-8.. even better display than a fl-18.

Now with that being said, I bought a vx-1p two years ago. It is a great unit and I really like it, but I wish I would have spent an extra $100 and bought a used lx-5. Next year might be my upgrade year, would love a lx-6.

Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

Found it. A buddy bought a new one at the end of last year clearanced for $199.

Google shopping has them for $269 new.

icemandan39
    Syracuse, NY

Marcum vx1 pro best bang for your buck

tbrooks11

Thank you all for the help! The only flasher I have ever used before was a humminbird ice- 35 which i was really impressed with. Unfortunately money is very, very tight. Looking for something under $300 for sure.

josh a

I just got into ice fishing seriously about 2 years ago. I bought an older fl-8 from a guy for 100 bucks. It works great still. I can see the jig, the bottom and fish. What else does a beginner need? If I were you I’d try a looking at a pawn shop or 2, as they have been known to carry flashers for a reasonable price

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Grabbed the Clearwater Classic out of the garage and cleaned it up. It looks brand new! I can only think of seven times I used it. It will be fun to bring along so the kids or FW have it to use, I think they’ll enjoy it more, kinda like playing a video game.
    Check out the sweet homemade box.

tbrooks11

The St Paul Ice Show is the weekend before finals week So unfortunately I wont be able to make it up there. I will check out some local pawn shops, maybe find a black friday deal somewhere, and continue to look on Ebay/amazon/craigslist. Thank you all for the help!

bullcans
    Northfield MN

PM sent

Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

Here is a link to the VX-1. It has a bottom zoom similar to the vexilar fl-18. Also comes with the nice marcum soft case.

At least worth a look and in your budget.

Vx-1

Troll4it2
    Minnesota, Washington, St. Paul

heresmygear may be another place to keep an eye on.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.